French Birkini (Dance's and Revs' threads merged)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: French Birkini (Dance's and Revs' threads merged)
(02-09-2016 07:13 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
My parents arrived in their 20’s and took them much less time to become fluent. Both they and my grandparents spoke/speak their native tongue at home.

I was 8 months old. Became a US Citizen at 15. I have always considered myself an American.

All three generations have held on to customs, food, religion to an ever decreasing extent. All of us have contributed to our adopted country. My grandparents have long since passed but the two older generations now have a new one in the form of grandchildren, nephews and nieces. This generation is native born and have no connection or understanding of the “old” ways. They are indistinguishable from John Smith and Jane Doe except for the surname.

Just out of curiosity, to which country will these anchor babies in your family be sent should Murika elect Mr Trump?

Angel

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2016, 09:02 AM
(02-09-2016 05:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  While that may be true of some, it is not true of all emigrants.
And I rather doubt that many just up and took the first transport to anywhere.
... They are looking for a better life. And when they arrive, everyone says to them, "Why did you come here if you want to just spend your time being all Somalian/Algerian/Saudi/Zimbabwean? Why don't you go back? We are very happy here without you. You are all theives. You steal our jobs. Sure, we have nice stuff here, I can see why you come. You come to take our nice stuff. Just be poor and stay in your shitty country."

Quote:And even in the few cases where that might be true, a little gratitude to the country and people who accepted them would not be remiss.
Gratitude which shall be shown by... adopting the national dress of the country in which they reside, speaking the language, singing the patriotic songs and so forth? As long as I pay my taxes and obey the law, why should I assimilate?

Have I said they should assimilate? Consider
No, I have not.

My point is that demanding the society change for them is absurd.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2016, 09:12 AM
(02-09-2016 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, to which country will these anchor babies in your family be sent should Murika elect Mr Trump?

Angel

You and I are going to have words in 2018 when we meet again. Dodgy

(Words = stiff drinks) Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
(02-09-2016 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  While that may be true of some, it is not true of all emigrants.
And I rather doubt that many just up and took the first transport to anywhere.

Of course not, and no one said they all did. However -- a quick glance at a map will show you that many most likely did. That long border with Turkey, the Mediterranean coastline, those are factors that influence the decision where to go when you're fleeing.

(02-09-2016 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  And even in the few cases where that might be true, a little gratitude to the country and people who accepted them would not be remiss.

No doubt many of them are very grateful.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-09-2016, 12:08 AM
(02-09-2016 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... They are looking for a better life. And when they arrive, everyone says to them, "Why did you come here if you want to just spend your time being all Somalian/Algerian/Saudi/Zimbabwean? Why don't you go back? We are very happy here without you. You are all theives. You steal our jobs. Sure, we have nice stuff here, I can see why you come. You come to take our nice stuff. Just be poor and stay in your shitty country."

Gratitude which shall be shown by... adopting the national dress of the country in which they reside, speaking the language, singing the patriotic songs and so forth? As long as I pay my taxes and obey the law, why should I assimilate?

No, I have not.

I was trying to figure out how/what you meant by they should show a little gratitude? Have Thank You Adopted Country parties? And funnily enough, I don't think society should change for them, but I don't think forcing them to change for the sake of some ideal society (e.g. by banning clothing items) is productive either.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-09-2016, 12:45 AM
(02-09-2016 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... They are looking for a better life. And when they arrive, everyone says to them, "Why did you come here if you want to just spend your time being all Somalian/Algerian/Saudi/Zimbabwean? Why don't you go back? We are very happy here without you. You are all theives. You steal our jobs. Sure, we have nice stuff here, I can see why you come. You come to take our nice stuff. Just be poor and stay in your shitty country."

No, I have not.

However, asking a country to equally apply its espoused liberal-democratic tenets is not. They're fleeing a murderous dictatorship and headed for the nearest country which offers, say, liberty, equality, brotherhood -- and then after their arrival they face laws specifically aimed at them.

Are they asking the country to change, or are they asking the country to simply extend to them what it extends to others?
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post