French Birkini (Dance's and Revs' threads merged)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2016, 10:59 PM
RE: This just doesn't make sense to me.
It's about the fact that Muslim women are generally not free in any relevant meaning of the word to wear what they want. They are coerced by their communities to dress in a certain way. That is what this law is preventing. To confuse that with something like the plight of the Jews under antisemitic laws is to completely miss the point.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2016, 11:09 PM
(25-08-2016 10:59 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  It's about the fact that Muslim women are generally not free in any relevant meaning of the word to wear what they want. They are coerced by their communities to dress in a certain way. That is what this law is preventing. To confuse that with something like the plight of the Jews under antisemitic laws is to completely miss the point.

So the women can't wear what they want because their government and their culture are equally oppressing them?
25-08-2016, 11:19 PM
They can't wear what they want under their own culture as it is. Which one do you think is better, forcing a woman to wear only one type of clothing or forcing them to wear anything but that one type of clothing? Both are bad in and of themselves, but taken together one is certainly worse than the other, significantly so. Absent of a better solution to the problem, this one will actually provide them with more freedom in the matter than they would otherwise have.
25-08-2016, 11:42 PM
(25-08-2016 11:19 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  They can't wear what they want under their own culture as it is. Which one do you think is better, forcing a woman to wear only one type of clothing or forcing them to wear anything but that one type of clothing? Both are bad in and of themselves, but taken together one is certainly worse than the other, significantly so. Absent of a better solution to the problem, this one will actually provide them with more freedom in the matter than they would otherwise have.

I think the best solution is to let a woman wear whatever she wants to wear, but maybe there is information that I'm not aware of. -I've never been to France before, but I hear the immigrant population is very high. I have to consider that maybe they're trying to coax immigrant Muslims to feel comfortable and adopt their new culture by forcing them to undress below their level of comfort.

On the other hand, here in the US, we generally observe that in three generations, the grand kids are totally assimilated into the American fabric all on their own accord. What's so wrong with letting grandma keep her cultural ways if she wants them. They're going to assimilate all on their own if if you do nothing at all.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
25-08-2016, 11:46 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 12:11 AM by excitedpenguin.)
I admit I don't know that much about it either. But I do know that there is a vast difference both in terms of the extent to which certain cultures are imported and that of the immigration crises between the US and certain parts of Europe at the moment. And that difference might be the reason, in turn, for the differing cultural assimilation processes as experienced by the immigrants in their respectively appropriated societies. So let's not be too quick to judge the French, is all I'm saying.
26-08-2016, 12:58 AM
(25-08-2016 09:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Makes me want to go the beach wearing a tunic with only a banana hammock on underneath. "Certainly officer, I'd be happy to remove my tunic."

[Image: banana.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-08-2016, 05:31 AM
The irony of it -- the cops are wearing more clothing than she is......

And, they're packing iron.....

I'd be asking the short haired blond to remove her clothing.....

In a friendly way, of course - over drinks........

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-08-2016, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 09:13 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
others cover up at the beach too, like those who have had skin cancer or want to avoid the risk. It doesnt mean they stop going to the beach, they just dress differently. Or those of us with extra jiggle don't always wanting it hanging out, or people who are just more modest than others for whatever reason.

Angry

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
26-08-2016, 08:35 AM
(25-08-2016 11:19 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  They can't wear what they want under their own culture as it is. Which one do you think is better, forcing a woman to wear only one type of clothing or forcing them to wear anything but that one type of clothing? Both are bad in and of themselves, but taken together one is certainly worse than the other, significantly so. Absent of a better solution to the problem, this one will actually provide them with more freedom in the matter than they would otherwise have.

So we're going to tell them what to wear under our culture. And of course, it's women who usually get the brunt of things.

But not always.

Have you ever heard of the Zoot Suit Riots in Los Angeles? The Zoot Suit was a very popular type of suit worn by Mexican Americans population just prior to WW II and during the war. Women wore them too but not as much. American soldiers got angry at Mexicans for wearing suits that used more material than other suits and demanded their removal. Riots broke out in the Los Angeles area. People wearing Zoot Suits were arrested and some men were beaten and had their clothing forcefully removed.

[Image: eddie_zoot_suit.jpg]

[Image: riots1.jpg]

[Image: Wash-Post-Zoot-Suit2.jpg]

They continued to wear their Zoot Suit and it's become a symbol of resistance even today.

Telling people what to wear whether it's because of religion or anything other reason is a waste of time and money.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-08-2016, 08:37 AM
(26-08-2016 12:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 09:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Makes me want to go the beach wearing a tunic with only a banana hammock on underneath. "Certainly officer, I'd be happy to remove my tunic."

[Image: banana.jpg]

Hot, Girly! Wow! That hammock is so tight, where am I going to squeeze my dollar bills?
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post