Frequency Illusion and Woo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Frequency Illusion and Woo
So when I was a witch, one of the things I was taught was to do a spell and then look around in the world around you for signs.

Basically, frequency illusion and pareidolia mixed with apophenia. Really annoying.

However, frequency illusion can't be turned off and I just want to forget my past workings because thing got too real. I acknowledge fully that these are biases, but it's a pain in the ass. It's turned into obsessive compulsive thoughts just whizzing in my head. Things that remind me of deities I've worked with, things I have been primed to look for, looking for signs and omens, etc. I just want to move away from this so I don't have to deal with it anymore. I feel like I just broke up with someone and all of the songs we made out to started playing on the radio. I want to be free of these biases. It's so annoying.

ETA:

At the very least, I acknowledge I had more misses than hits when I was working.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2015, 09:04 PM
RE: Frequency Illusion and Woo
At least you are self-aware enough to recognize it for what it is. There are couple of books that I read that helped me become more cognizant of my own logical fallacies and mental habits: Why People Believe Weird Things by Shermer, and You Are Now Less Dumb by McRaney. They are both easy reads. I found them to be very helpful to understanding my own mental biases and for learning some techniques to overcome them.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 4 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
02-06-2015, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 12:49 AM by CrimsonCallaReborn.)
RE: Frequency Illusion and Woo
(02-06-2015 09:04 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  At least you are self-aware enough to recognize it for what it is. There are couple of books that I read that helped me become more cognizant of my own logical fallacies and mental habits: Why People Believe Weird Things by Shermer, and You Are Now Less Dumb by McRaney. They are both easy reads. I found them to be very helpful to understanding my own mental biases and for learning some techniques to overcome them.

Oh cool, thank you for these resources!!!

ETA:

I love You Are Now Less Dumb. I got it for my NOOK and it's amazing!!! Thanks so much for recommending it to me!!!
[+] 1 user Likes CrimsonCallaReborn's post