Fresh atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Fresh atheist
Hello everyone, been listening to the podcast and I figured I can jump into the community. I've only recently (past 6 months or so) become an atheist and today became open about it to my Facebook circle. Nice to find a community of atheists, even if it's online. Anyway happy to meet everyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Woefatt's post
08-09-2014, 10:13 PM
RE: Fresh atheist
Welcome to the community!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Welcome aboard!

How has your FB circle reacted?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
08-09-2014, 11:05 PM
So far I have only had two people question as to why, mostly out of curiosity. I am happy to live in a pretty liberal area (Oregon) so people don't automatically think I have no moral compass or anything. I used to be involved with church a lot and I still have a lot of those friends so I am interested to see how, if at all, they react.
[+] 1 user Likes Woefatt's post
08-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Can I ask, how did you do it? I've considered outing myself on fb (with my grandmother and a few others hidden), but I'm not sure how. Were you subtle, like with a couple shares that kind of gave the right impression? Very formal with a long post? "I'm an atheist."? Sorry to be so curious, this is just something I've been thinking about for a while now. I'm also a new atheist (march) and out to only a couple people.
[+] 2 users Like OlafsNose's post
08-09-2014, 11:44 PM
I was very open and clear with everyone and just said it. It was a longer post mostly so people would know it wasn't some emotionally driven thing. I think the most important thing is to not be antagonistic. I personally don't care what other people believe as I don't think it's my place to tell grow ups how to think, and you should let other people know that you want the same respect. Just my 2 cents.
09-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Hey, welcome.

I think you'll find that most atheists feel the same way. So long as theists keep their religion to themselves then nobody is going to complain. However, religions tend to do the extact reverse of that, and you often see them involving themselves in the affairs of those who don't espouse them. It makes sense if you think about it because religions only propagate by converting unbelievers to their way of thinking.

And that's where there's a problem. Most people's experiences with religion have been with their antagonism, which at best is an annoying preacher in the street saying we're all going to hell or a guy in a debate telling us why he's right because god is on his side, and at worse is seeing a plane flying ito a building killing thousands, or a bomb going off on a shopping mall killing even more, or seeing a guy's head being hacked off because their holy book (or their ideological beliefs which have been inspired by said holy book) told them it was cool to do that.

Again, I think people will agree with you - live and let live, treat others how you would wish to be treated etc. It's unfortunate that a lot (not all) theists don't practice what they preach (or do when it comes to the violent verses contained in many holy books, which is unfortunate).

[Image: oie_9101658pvlrOK2Z_zpsd5fb1967.png]
09-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Welcome, if you have any questions or wish to flesh out your knowledge of religion, we are here, want to share a joke, we are here, want to post a pic of your pet piggy, we are here......just enjoy your stay. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Mmmmm fresh atheists, very good in a salad with some ranch dressing Laugh out load Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your stay Smile

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Hi Shy
and welcome Big Grin