Friday's Asteroid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: Friday's Asteroid
(16-02-2013 07:48 AM)bemore Wrote:  With regards to the Russian meteor it appears that it exploded in the air and this caused the shockwave. Would it have caused more damage/energy if it had hit the earth in one chunk?
I don't believe it exploded in the air, but it did break up.
Most of the damage was caused by sonic shock waves from its passage through the atmosphere at hypersonic velocity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 08:23 AM
I was so relieved to hear that the meteor didn't kill anyone. Although it's amazing the damage it can do.
Find all posts by this user
16-02-2013, 09:44 AM
(16-02-2013 08:23 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I was so relieved to hear that the meteor didn't kill anyone. Although it's amazing the damage it can do.

It's a miracle.

Perhaps it was all the Orthodox Ruckies praying that it wouldn't hurt anyone proved slightly more powerful the Murikan Fundie's praying that it would land on Russia.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-02-2013, 10:19 AM
The meteorite was unique because it was such a big one - they think it was about 60 feet wide. They are doing clean up right now and it seems the big chunks plopped into a lake. That means a slightly more cushioned landing and an immediate cooling off. That's going to make for a great study specimen!!! Russia's so lucky - they get the coolest shit. Shy

However, it's not an unusual occurrence, shit falls from the sky all the time. It's best to see them at night and while driving, I see a fireball at least every six months but they are always very small in comparison - probably about the size of a football. It does the exact thing the big ones do - it even makes boom sound but you can also hear the sputtering and see the trail it leaves - it literally splits a hole in the sky(sound barrier) and lights up the entire sky doing so. As it breaks up the sparks fly, probably marble sized bits, further reducing the size of the meteorite.

Here's a great place for the latest updates on the monster meteorite.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-02-2013, 10:22 AM
There is a group in Russia apparently claiming it was not a meteor but an american bomb that we deployed to respark the cold war.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...ually.html

*facepalm*

The Out Crowd.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post