Friend asked for a video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Friend asked for a video
I've been discussing religion with a friend and he asked me to send him a video, so I pondered on it and dismissed Hitchens as being too insulting for his taste. Thought about Seth, Harris & Dawkins but wanted a really simple video, that just might make him think and was really short. The wife thought about 43 Alley and that seemed like a good choice. Animated and in no way confrontational. So I sent 43 Alleys video on how he gave up religion. If you haven't watched it it's great: Video
What I got back was a text message: That he thought it was "in poor taste". Good think I didn't send Jim Jefferies! He replied with a video that "PROVES HELL". It's about some Russian scientists that drilled a hole deep into the earth, dropped a microphone down the hole and heard the screams of those people in hell yelling for some dude named Jesus. WOW! I guess what disappoints me the most is my friends ability to reason. I'm starting to view him as a kindergartner. I'm losing respect for his mind fast. I consider hanging in there hoping for a light bulb to turn but I don't think it ever will.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Toney's post
21-12-2014, 01:12 PM
RE: Friend asked for a video
Hug

Best wishes for the relationship between yourself and your freind.

Much cheers to all.
21-12-2014, 02:13 PM
The typo on Zeus' headstone ruined it for me. Smile

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2014, 09:01 PM
(21-12-2014 02:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The typo on Zeus' headstone ruined it for me. Smile

Very observant. I could have watched it a hundred times and never noticed that.
[+] 1 user Likes Toney's post
21-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Would you reason with a suicide bomber to?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
21-12-2014, 09:20 PM
(21-12-2014 09:01 PM)Toney Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 02:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The typo on Zeus' headstone ruined it for me. Smile

Very observant. I could have watched it a hundred times and never noticed that.

Thanks, it's my job.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
21-12-2014, 09:26 PM
If you're after a video that debunks religious belief in a kind, gentle way. I'm afraid I can't help you...I tend to think you can only ditch religious belief if something shocks it out of you, or you secretly want to ditch it.

It can be painful in both cases, but more so in the former.

I think unless your friend has talked about having serious doubts, or feels uncomfortable with belief, then I think you're best off just letting them get on with it. I do think it is cruel to force someone to give up a belief that they're happy with. Not only can it fuck them up internally, but also it can fuck their family and social lives.

If your friend is engaging you, and genuinely wants to have their beliefs challenged, then by all means engage them in discussion. But if they're hostile towards this sort of thing, then you'll save yourself and your friend a lot of pain by leaving it alone.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]