Friend called me today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2014, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2014 06:43 PM by evenheathen.)
RE: Friend called me today
(19-12-2014 06:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-12-2014 05:44 PM)Toney Wrote:  Same friend. He's thinking and asking questions.

OK. Pace yourself, the deconversion process can take time, be confusing and painful, calling his god a prick, while funny to us, might not be the best way of helping.

He asks questions you answer, maybe in the form of questions to make him think and let him get there on his own time. My two cents worth.

Alright, I can't think of his name....the dude who wrote the book recently about how to talk to believers and get them to think. Seth had him as a guest not too long ago and we had a couple of threads about him.

Anyone know who I'm talking about? He should be referenced here.

edit: found him, I haven't read the book, but I've watched a couple of his talks and he's got some good ideas.

http://peterboghossian.com/

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2014, 06:39 PM
(19-12-2014 06:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-12-2014 05:44 PM)Toney Wrote:  Same friend. He's thinking and asking questions.

OK. Pace yourself, the deconversion process can take time, be confusing and painful, calling his god a prick, while funny to us, might not be the best way of helping.

He asks questions you answer, maybe in the form of questions to make him think and let him get there on his own time. My two cents worth.
Understood, but we call people "pricks" all the time, LOL and he was talking about something terrible that happened in his life, so if there was a god, he'd/it/she'd have to be a prick to let it happen. It would be the only reasonable explanation "why" it happened (if a god was real). At the time we were talking about fear. Calling god a prick just showed him that I didn't fear one.
19-12-2014, 09:23 PM
(19-12-2014 06:39 PM)Toney Wrote:  
(19-12-2014 06:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  OK. Pace yourself, the deconversion process can take time, be confusing and painful, calling his god a prick, while funny to us, might not be the best way of helping.

Understood, but we call people "pricks" all the time, LOL and he was talking about something terrible that happened in his life, so if there was a god, he'd/it/she'd have to be a prick to let it happen. It would be the only reasonable explanation "why" it happened (if a god was real). At the time we were talking about fear. Calling god a prick just showed him that I didn't fear one.

The fact that he called to apologize means he values your friendship, I imagine you value his so keep that in mind as you discuss this further. Religion is a very touchy subject as I’m sure you know. Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-12-2014, 09:55 PM
(19-12-2014 12:55 PM)Toney Wrote:  Friend called me today and wanted to make sure I (or my wife) was not mad at them since our conversation with them about religion. I had gone so far as calling their god a "prick" (if he was real) then I trampled all over their holy bible! I even laughed about crackers and wine. What surprised me, is he called the me, the Atheist, to make sure I wasn't mad about them having faith! I told him I wasn't "mad" just "disappointed" in his ability to reason. Maybe the world is changing????

Sounds like a good friend who's just checking that individual bullshit metaphysical disagreements ain't gonna get in the way of your friendship. And in response you told him you were disappointed in him and his ability to reason. They're a better friend to you than you are to them.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-12-2014, 10:18 PM
(19-12-2014 02:55 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(19-12-2014 12:55 PM)Toney Wrote:  Friend called me today and wanted to make sure I (or my wife) was not mad at them since our conversation with them about religion. I had gone so far as calling their god a "prick" (if he was real) then I trampled all over their holy bible! I even laughed about crackers and wine. What surprised me, is he called the me, the Atheist, to make sure I wasn't mad about them having faith! I told him I wasn't "mad" just "disappointed" in his ability to reason. Maybe the world is changing????

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
[Image: Its-a-trap_zpsm0q6lief.jpg]

I had to think about that photo for a second then.......Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Wanna know something? That sounds like a good friend.

Let him have his faith. Don't go all militant on him. Over time, perhaps your reasoning will grow on him, and help him to think more rationally.

But in the meantime, cherish his friendship, because after all he called you and he called you after insulting his beliefs.

Sounds like a good friend to me.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.