Friend came out as gay, I'm having some trouble adjusting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2016, 05:16 PM
RE: Friend came out as gay, I'm having some trouble adjusting
(14-12-2016 06:40 PM)Leela Wrote:  I've pondered a while, actually thought I already answered in here but apparently I did not.

You see, the reason some people feel the need to "come out" is the fear that if they show their real selves without prior notice, there might be a bad reaction. Why? Because a religiously based society has taught people to react badly.

But you are this guy's friend. You have liked him (as a friend) for a while already and the fact that you now know his sexual/romantic orientation should not change things unless you had a secret crush on him.

I remember when one of my two best friends realized that I was bi (we were teenagers at the time) and so she would suddenly be a bit weird around me for whatever reason. Now I am a dick by nature and poked her exactly on that level until she stopped acting like I am trying to jump her. So I hadn't officially come out, I was just me, and she got the vibe. But the rest happened in her head and because of whatever happened in her head, she started to be weird. I needed to push her, so she could be normal again.
Maybe your friend needs to push your buttons a bit too so you realize that a lot of the weirdness in the situation is actually because a lot of stuff is just in your head.

Oh lol, I once told a female friend that I was bi, not as a coming out thing but I mentioned it talking about an old friendship I had. My friend was kind of weird after that and I thought to myself that I should have never mentioned it, it wasn't important. Next thing you know she wants to sleep with me - which was another kind of awkward because, while attractive, she just wasn't my type. Plus I was in a relationship with a male at the time.

I did end up sleeping with her, and it wasn't very good for either one of us. We continued to be friends, the awkwardness wore off. Eventually we did lose sight of each other.

Now I want to go snoop for her.... Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Just be thankful he didn't come out as something perverted like Catholic, or unnatural such as vegan.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
16-12-2016, 08:49 AM
(15-12-2016 04:40 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And I don't know if it's a worry for you, but fear not: he's not attracted to you. Knows you too well. Big Grin

Ha! Definitely not worried about that. I'd be flattered if anyone was attracted to me. I don't know how my wife gritted her teeth and let me father two children with her.
[+] 1 user Likes panthercougar's post
17-12-2016, 12:40 AM
(16-12-2016 08:49 AM)panthercougar Wrote:  
(15-12-2016 04:40 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  And I don't know if it's a worry for you, but fear not: he's not attracted to you. Knows you too well. Big Grin

Ha! Definitely not worried about that. I'd be flattered if anyone was attracted to me. I don't know how my wife gritted her teeth and let me father two children with her.

Turned the lights off.
17-12-2016, 09:24 AM
(16-12-2016 08:49 AM)panthercougar Wrote:  

Man, I wonder the same thing about my Beloved all the time. I'm a pretty good lookin' guy, but she's outta my league in so many ways.

Can't buy a lottery ticket, now. I've used up all my luck.

Well that, and I'm good at math.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson