Friend struggling w/faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Friend struggling w/faith
A good friend recently mentioned that they're struggling with their faith (they're catholic like I was) I'm kinda hesitant to say much. Mostly, since I believe you kinda have to come to atheism on your own. But I also wonder if my friend was expecting me (maybe baiting) me to speak out against religion.

I just felt at that moment laying on a bunch of people who believe in gods is stupid or grown ups shouldn't have imaginary friends was the right course.

I did ask why they are struggling, they just said some stuff that's been going on in their personal life.

Thoughts? Oh, and yes, this person does know I'm atheist.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2013, 12:29 AM
RE: Friend struggling w/faith
Questioning and sharing / empathy.

Lead from behind with a small nudge occasionally.

Demonstrate that it's about critical-thinking (not just gods / no gods) by questioning from both perspectives.

Just my thoughts.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2013, 12:41 AM
(26-03-2013 11:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend recently mentioned that they're struggling with their faith (they're catholic like I was) I'm kinda hesitant to say much. Mostly, since I believe you kinda have to come to atheism on your own. But I also wonder if my friend was expecting me (maybe baiting) me to speak out against religion.

I just felt at that moment laying on a bunch of people who believe in gods is stupid or grown ups shouldn't have imaginary friends was the right course.

I did ask why they are struggling, they just said some stuff that's been going on in their personal life.

I'd just lend an ear right now, but it sounds like he needs god to give him a sign something more than a feeling. That usually comes from failure of prayer, and doubts that have been festering over a period of time.

Wait and watch, and if they want to know what life is like with out god let them know.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
27-03-2013, 12:43 AM
(26-03-2013 11:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend recently mentioned that they're struggling with their faith (they're catholic like I was) I'm kinda hesitant to say much. Mostly, since I believe you kinda have to come to atheism on your own.

I agree...I think the path to truth is mostly walked alone. However, you can still help. Your friend may need someone to talk to during this most difficult time, and you just being there to listen and to answer any questions they may have could be a big help to them for you have been down this path before.

Hope this helps.

Julius
27-03-2013, 12:53 AM
(26-03-2013 11:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend recently mentioned that they're struggling with their faith (they're catholic like I was) I'm kinda hesitant to say much. Mostly, since I believe you kinda have to come to atheism on your own. But I also wonder if my friend was expecting me (maybe baiting) me to speak out against religion.

Tell them you used to be a catholic just like them.....then you took an arrow to the knee.

They won't bother chattin with you anymore after that.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
27-03-2013, 01:16 AM
(27-03-2013 12:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Tell them you used to be a catholic just like them.....then you took an arrow to the knee.

They won't bother chattin with you anymore after that.

Fucking Haywood. You're hired. Dodgy

As to the OP, despite what these heathens tell you, faith is part of the human condition. Unfortunately, religion co-opted the term to mean "big package of dogmatic religious bullshit." So, it may help to break it down into specific areas or doctrines which are causing the crisis, and then counseling in those specifics. But to throw off the whole bundle at once is destabilizing and potentially counter-productive.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-03-2013, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 04:21 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(27-03-2013 12:41 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I'd just lend an ear right now, but it sounds like he needs god to give him a sign something more than a feeling.

I know a sign. When people are desperate or frustrated, they might want time to stop or to end. However desperate or frustrated they are, time still flies, heart keeps drumming. All of these mean only one thing: keep going on, just go on.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
27-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Catholic eh?

Have they tried masturbation yet? That should help them solidify a position.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-03-2013, 07:46 AM

I like what MOST everyone here has said. Personally, I try to let them do most of the talking. I ask them questions, if they ask me questions then I will answer truthfully what I think. No need to be be shy about it. I try to keep it simple, straight to the point and short (not preachy). I only elaborate if they ask more questions. Hope this helps...
27-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Recommend reading material. You can always steer them to a book you personally found enlightening and thought-provoking and then see if they want to discuss afterwards.

You know, what I just wrote sounds so much like the "tactic" most religions use. They hand you pamphlets or the Bible and then want to "study" it with you. It must work since it is their primary modus operandi. Oh well.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post