Friend struggling w/faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 02:52 PM
RE: Friend struggling w/faith
(27-03-2013 02:41 PM)Egor Wrote:  You need to step aside. You're not qualified to deal with this. You are an atheist. Send her my way, and I'll discuss the truth with her about God, life, our purpose in life, etc. You're not the person to do that for her.

I'm sorry, but that's a fact. I mean, what do you have to offer her? A cold dark universe without a moral foundation? That's not going to bring her any happiness in this life. That's not a solution to the fact that she's in a defunct religion. Dodgy

Now, that was funny.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Never said it was.a "she".

Maybe I will send him to Egor. Smile

Although it would kinda feel like winning by default.

Coffee was good -- he's a nice guy. He's was going through a rough patch and felt god failed him. Everyone kept telling to pray harder and drew what he saw as illogical patterns.

I just listened mostly. I did tell him that for me, I used prayer as a mental crutch. Higher power and all that...I was careful not to diss religion or catholic beliefs. But I did let him know about the time I forgot to pray when something was going wrong in my life and how it felt. He knows I've renounced belief in all that stuff, while still being respectful of religions.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Belief or no belief, the best thing for hard times is a good friend to listen.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-03-2013, 04:16 PM
(27-03-2013 03:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Belief or no belief, the best thing for hard times is a good friend to listen.

I agree. That's exactly why I bit my tongue when I really wanted to shout. Lol. I'm sorry that he's going though such a rough time. It happens tho.

27-03-2013, 04:28 PM
(27-03-2013 04:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 03:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Belief or no belief, the best thing for hard times is a good friend to listen.

I agree. That's exactly why I bit my tongue when I really wanted to shout. Lol. I'm sorry that he's going though such a rough time. It happens tho.

And perhaps the fact that you didn't shout might make him more open to asking harder questions next time, knowing he won't just get harsh, criticizing rhetoric.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-03-2013, 05:53 PM
(27-03-2013 02:41 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(26-03-2013 11:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A good friend recently mentioned that they're struggling with their faith (they're catholic like I was) I'm kinda hesitant to say much. Mostly, since I believe you kinda have to come to atheism on your own. But I also wonder if my friend was expecting me (maybe baiting) me to speak out against religion.

I just felt at that moment laying on a bunch of people who believe in gods is stupid or grown ups shouldn't have imaginary friends was the right course.

I did ask why they are struggling, they just said some stuff that's been going on in their personal life.

Thoughts? Oh, and yes, this person does know I'm atheist.

You need to step aside. You're not qualified to deal with this. You are an atheist. Send her my way, and I'll discuss the truth with her about God, life, our purpose in life, etc. You're not the person to do that for her.

I'm sorry, but that's a fact. I mean, what do you have to offer her? A cold dark universe without a moral foundation? That's not going to bring her any happiness in this life. That's not a solution to the fact that she's in a defunct religion. Dodgy

I'm going to say this once with the utmost respect. I would never confuse facts with your brand of fiction. Consider

Shoo fly. Angel

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2013, 09:25 PM
(27-03-2013 02:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 02:47 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Egor, she said "friend."

Where's the cat?

Cat just almost knocked over my Gwynnies. Angry

Cat gonna be sent to Egor in a minute... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]