Friends and atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: Friends and atheism
(28-08-2013 06:14 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I know what you mean. I just hate that, no matter what, most Christians will not except me for who I am. It's frustrating because that cuts my choice of friends down quite a lot!! Especially with the fact that I'm in the south, surrounded by churches on every corner.

Yep I understand you completely. I'm fortunate too, because for me Melbourne is getting more secular all the time. It's nothing like the American South. Religion seems to becoming confined to mostly the older generation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Swedgen's post
30-08-2013, 06:12 AM
(28-08-2013 06:38 PM)Swedgen Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 06:14 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I know what you mean. I just hate that, no matter what, most Christians will not except me for who I am. It's frustrating because that cuts my choice of friends down quite a lot!! Especially with the fact that I'm in the south, surrounded by churches on every corner.

Yep I understand you completely. I'm fortunate too, because for me Melbourne is getting more secular all the time. It's nothing like the American South. Religion seems to becoming confined to mostly the older generation.

Yeah, I don't live far from Melbourne, actually. I live in Gainesville. I guess it's not that bad since it's a college town...but most people here come from the surrounding cities, which are VERY traditional for the most part.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
30-08-2013, 06:26 AM
'In-group' mentality was part of our being since before we came down from the trees.

Not a whole lot you can do about it.

The friends that can transcend that are your true friends.

Can you empathise with them? I suspect they fear contamination. Not so much for themselves but for their children.

They know they can't unburst the bubble.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post