Friendship or casual conversation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Friendship or casual conversation
What is more important having a friendship or a good conversation? It seems to me that some people are just fine being on their own as long as they have a good conversation once in while.
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
RE: Friendship or casual conversation
It's sad that the two cannot always go together. For me though its tough to have a good friends that I cannot hold a good conversation with. It doesn't have to be about specific subjects though. Just a decent conversation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 12:00 AM

(05-07-2011 11:49 PM)riseinside Wrote:  It's sad that the two cannot always go together. For me though its tough to have a good friends that I cannot hold a good conversation with. It doesn't have to be about specific subjects though. Just a decent conversation.

Exactly! I am willing to talk about anything as long as it is done intelligently. Too often in the past my friends weren't conversationalists so we had to think about other mundane things to do. On other occasions I had great conversations with people but because we had differing views they were uncomfortable being friends.

Since I don't drink, party, club or anything that most people do I need friends who can speak with intelligence. I don't care if we agree, in fact I think it might be better that we don't. Finding such people around me leaves me fairly hopeless however.
06-07-2011, 07:53 AM
I think I'd take the good conversations. I don't really need a lot of social interactions and do well on my own. Finding random people who I can talk intellectually with and then never see again(I'm making this seem like a one night stand) works just fine.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
06-07-2011, 07:59 AM

(06-07-2011 07:53 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I think I'd take the good conversations. I don't really need a lot of social interactions and do well on my own. Finding random people who I can talk intellectually with and then never see again(I'm making this seem like a one night stand) works just fine.

No worries, you have friendship commitment issues just like me. I would love to have some one I could meet once a week, on Thursday afternoon say, and have a great conversation, then walk away, saying next week right?
06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
I also have very few close friends. That's probably because to be a close friend, I MUST be able to have a good conversation. I also do best with friends who are ok with me dropping off the radar for weeks, and sometimes even months at a time. I have two friends that are cool with that, and are alot like that themselves. I rarely have the desire to be with people, and when I do, I can call them up and they can do the same. We can talk, and even escalate to very hot debates, and still walk away saying, "awesome talk man!"

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
06-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah I'm more along the lines of what stark seems to be. I often vanish for long stretches of time and have found that the only people I can even justify calling actual friends are the type to not mind if you vanish. These people also tend to be the type of people who enjoy talking intelligently about things, which is good otherwise I'm such a potential hermit I could probably do without any friends at all. Of course if I was hermit like I'm sure I would go insane from a loneliness I never knew existed.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM

(06-07-2011 08:33 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I also have very few close friends. That's probably because to be a close friend, I MUST be able to have a good conversation. I also do best with friends who are ok with me dropping off the radar for weeks, and sometimes even months at a time. I have two friends that are cool with that, and are alot like that themselves. I rarely have the desire to be with people, and when I do, I can call them up and they can do the same. We can talk, and even escalate to very hot debates, and still walk away saying, "awesome talk man!"

Wow, they sound like really cool friends. Most people don't understand when I drop off the radar for a while.