Friendship with a Christian - sin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Friendship with a Christian - sin
Well, I happen to be around this Christian a few hours a week. We're basically stuck in a room and sometimes we're entirely on our own. Our friendship has been okay so far, I'm not interested in taking it anywhere. I'm a very tolerant person myself and they reacted well when I informed them of my orientation.

Recently I asked this person a question related to Christianity but they talking away and didn't address it at all. They went on about how we are all sinners and how "homosexuality is a sin" at the end, and since then I've been wondering whether they are thinking things about me due to my orientation. Sometimes it gets awkward and tension builds up, I'm not good at verbal interaction once the flow is broken and I suffer from social anxiety which doesn't help. Sometimes we end up just sitting there and not really saying anything to each other most of the time. They like having the radio on and having some verbal exchanges, whereas I don't in this situation. I find it hard to consider them a friend now.

I've been meaning to bring up the subject but I usually feel awkward or unsure and end up not doing it. I'm not really sure how to address the issue at hand and I'd rather not risk being blocked after my first attempt. Advice?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2014, 03:33 PM
RE: Friendship with a Christian - sin
I'm assuming you are talking about some sort of dorm or camp situation.

My advice would be to not talk about it...it's not an important part of the relationship between you two. Many of my best friends are Christian. But we don't have arguments about religion. We do other stuff....Fun stuff Big Grin.

In fact one of my best friends was my college dorm/apartment mate for 4 years (we met in the form as randomly assigned roommates), and Christian the whole time. We never ever had a deep religious discussion. He never pressured me to do anything Christian, just like I never pressured him to do anything atheist-like. We had plenty of other stuff to do, like play Super Smash Bros.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
24-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reply, if I had anyone reliable and trust-able to turn to then I would. I didn't want to specify why we are in close proximity, but you could call it work. Today I had a conversation with them and I think they might of been frustrated with their relationship recently and a bit down. I think I'll leave it unless they bring it up again, it was only the second time they've mentioned it.
[+] 1 user Likes Sephyr's post
24-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorry I don't have a better solution. I've never had a religious friend approach me about their religion. 1 or 2 family members have. I more or less explained my views and then we didn't talk about it again.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.