From Catholic to Mormon to Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
From Catholic to Mormon to Atheist
Greetings all,
I have been on a long and strange journey to atheism. I was raised in a Catholic family, and converted to Mormonism when I was 21. I also married a Mormon and participated in alot of the Mormon rituals, including the temple endowments. After being in the LDS church for 10 years, I realized that it was bullshit, and pretty much checked out. I still believed in God and started following evangelical Christianity, but I was still questioning what I believed. This was 8 years ago. About a year ago I started reading Professor Dawkins' God Delusion and it actually made sense to me. I also read Seth Andrews and I realized that I have an atheistic point of view on religion. I still hadn't accepted that I was an atheist and I tried to stay plugged into religion, but I have finally realized that i am in fact that I am an atheist. I have not come out yet to my wife (she is still trapped in the Mormon religion), but just coming to terms with the fact that I am an atheist has been freeing to my personal well being and I am alot happier now that I realize I am an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like smitthom624's post
09-02-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: From Catholic to Mormon to Atheist
Welcome. Glad you're here.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
You might consider a quick trip to Pastafarianism..... That's the folks that follow The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

You get to dress like a pirate, and FSM heaven has a beer volcano...

Pretty nice, eh?? (and no sillier than anything else the other theists have)

But if you've had enough, you've had enough....

Welcome....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Welcome to TTA.

Good luck with your wife.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-02-2015, 06:41 PM
welcome

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Welcome, proceed with caution and good luck.
09-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Welcome and good luck from me as well.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
09-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Welcome!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-02-2015, 12:13 AM
It's great to see someone open their eyes, rubbing them a little, take a big yawn, stretch then walk outside, pick up a stick and start prodding everything as if they are seeing the world for the first time.

With "atheism" (I'm making this up BTW, there is no such thing as atheism), but with atheism, you are allowed to ask questions, you are allowed to be skeptical, people won't tell you to take their word for it. You can always do research, and whatever and we won't kick you out of "our group", we are inclusive rather than those exclusive churches you used to belong to.
10-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in my initial posting is that I am currently living in Southern Utah, the Mormon Capital of the World. Kind of another reason I stay quiet about my atheism. Although my 14 year old son is having doubts about the existence of god, so there is hope for the next generation.