From Christian To Agnostic To Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
RE: From Christian To Agnostic To Atheist
I knew after reading the bible at age 10 that I didn't believe all that stuff. I never labeled myself or even knew anyone who labeled themselves atheist. My husband didn't believe either. Neither one of us sought out other atheists. My parents turned out to be closet atheists, but kept that secret until they were on their death beds.

We all end up here walking different paths.... it's always interesting to see how many paths lead to Rome.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 09:05 PM
You know, I used to wonder how I'd fare as a Chaplain Assistant in a time of war. I'd have to be responsible for being the Chaplain's personal bodyguard. That's a heavy burden to bear.
15-05-2013, 09:09 PM
We all end up here walking different paths.... it's always interesting to see how many paths lead to Rome.
[/quote]

I think it's interesting to see how many paths lead to Babylon.
15-05-2013, 09:16 PM
(04-05-2013 08:23 PM)BrianD Wrote:  Welcome, CaliforniaSurf!

I came to nonbelief through a different route: the absence of God, and the kindler, gentler atheist.

The New Atheists with their, ah, direct methodology scared me off. It took more gentle souls (like Dan Barker, and Seth Andrews) to get me to the point where I could put 2 and 2 together. Once everything came together in my mind, it was easy for me to walk away from Christianity. Now there are tenets of evangelical Christian philosophy I still hold to (do unto others, be honest, etc.) that are shared humanist values, so it's not like I think the Bible is completely worthless with zero value. I just see things differently now, like you do.

What's amusing about my life as an atheist: I spend more time reading the Bible now than when I was an agnostic. Sometimes it seems like I'm reading a different book than the book I read as a Christian.
[+] 1 user Likes CaliforniaSurf's post
15-05-2013, 11:06 PM
(15-05-2013 09:16 PM)CaliforniaSurf Wrote:  
(04-05-2013 08:23 PM)BrianD Wrote:  Welcome, CaliforniaSurf!

I came to nonbelief through a different route: the absence of God, and the kindler, gentler atheist.

The New Atheists with their, ah, direct methodology scared me off. It took more gentle souls (like Dan Barker, and Seth Andrews) to get me to the point where I could put 2 and 2 together. Once everything came together in my mind, it was easy for me to walk away from Christianity. Now there are tenets of evangelical Christian philosophy I still hold to (do unto others, be honest, etc.) that are shared humanist values, so it's not like I think the Bible is completely worthless with zero value. I just see things differently now, like you do.

What's amusing about my life as an atheist: I spend more time reading the Bible now than when I was an agnostic. Sometimes it seems like I'm reading a different book than the book I read as a Christian.

Reading it like you would any other book really brings out the absurd, the horrific, and the mash up cobbled together nature of the bible.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reborn Atheist Doubting Thomas 6 114 16-06-2014 10:45 PM
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Exmormon To Atheist Freedom and Depression elconquistador 6 97 05-05-2014 12:24 PM
Last Post: Charis
  To All My Atheist's Having a Hard Time elconquistador 0 73 05-05-2014 10:18 AM
Last Post: elconquistador
  Atheist in a VERY religious country knowlegelover 4 413 26-07-2013 08:16 PM
Last Post: Stark Raving
  No longer a Christian Flowergurl 72 2,846 08-05-2013 03:14 PM
Last Post: Ameron1963