From Deism to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2015, 08:16 AM
From Deism to Atheism
My question is primarily for folks who at one point in their life considered themselves deist but who eventually accepted atheism.

What led you to be a deist? And what caused you to go from being a deist to an atheist? Why did you reject deism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: From Deism to Atheism
(24-04-2015 08:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  My question is primarily for folks who at one point in their life considered themselves deist but who eventually accepted atheism.

What led you to be a deist? And what caused you to go from being a deist to an atheist? Why did you reject deism?

I didn't know what deism was really -- I mean I had a vague understanding about it. Still some of the ideas were part of my deconversion.

That said I did embrace something a bit like it. The hippy dippy side of religion that god just wubs all and wouldn't send anyone to hell unless they did super bad things. I didn't believe miracles ever happened.

Then I studied what other gods could do via mythology.

Then the light went on.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-04-2015, 08:39 AM
(24-04-2015 08:33 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  My question is primarily for folks who at one point in their life considered themselves deist but who eventually accepted atheism.

I didn't know what deism was really -- I mean I had a vague understanding about it. Still some of the ideas were part of my deconversion.

That said I did embrace something a bit like it. The hippy dippy side of religion that god just wubs all and wouldn't send anyone to hell unless they did super bad things. I didn't believe miracles ever happened.

Then I studied what other gods could do via mythology.

Then the light went on.

So for you, the transition was from some supernatural cuddly, feel good God to atheism? I don't think the God you had in mind, would be a deistic one.
24-04-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm curious what you mean by deism.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
24-04-2015, 08:50 AM
(24-04-2015 08:43 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I'm curious what you mean by deism.

I guess some sort of creator God, but not one particularly invested in human affairs, unlike a personal God, but one that just set things in motion.

Earlier I was having a discussion with a deist. Who accepted deism because the alternative, of something coming from nothing made no sense. His deism had no emotional value to him, like the concept of a loving God might for some, it's just that it seemed to make more sense to him than atheism.

I was particularly interested in hearing from folks who would empathize with his view, but who later accepted atheism.
24-04-2015, 08:58 AM
I see. The possible god that could have started everything. Since "We don't know yet" is a tough thing to accept.

I think it's a development that many of us have gone through in the deconversion process. Especially for people like me, who found that learning about evolution was a factor. You sort of go from thinking god is involved in peoples daily lives, to putting him as a watchful eye, to realizing things have been going on all by themselves for billions of years, so you put god as the starting point, to finally just realizing we don't know about the starting point yet, or if there even was one, and god isn't necessary to that at all.

For me, anyway, I think deism was a step in a process. Maybe some people stay there, but I couldn't.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 4 users Like Colourcraze's post
24-04-2015, 09:04 AM
I had some moments of opening up to deism, but regarding to this topic I liked my position to a Carl Sagan quote and point.

His line was, "why not go one step further?" Most forms of deism literally cant be proven false or true. It's logically valueless to hold the position. It may have some emotional tinge.

So why not take the step past the blank data deity and think anything it could of done, the universe/energy/matter/what have you could of done it itself. That's he process I molded towards.

I still wouldn't call myself gnostic-atheist mainly because of Deistic propositions though. I don't think I could be certain it didn't exist but there is an insurmountable difference if that was the case anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
24-04-2015, 09:09 AM
(24-04-2015 09:04 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I had some moments of opening up to deism, but regarding to this topic I liked my position to a Carl Sagan quote and point.

His line was, "why not go one step further?" Most forms of deism literally cant be proven false or true. It's logically valueless to hold the position. It may have some emotional tinge.

So why not take the step past the blank data deity and think anything it could of done, the universe/energy/matter/what have you could of done it itself. That's he process I molded towards.

I still wouldn't call myself gnostic-atheist mainly because of Deistic propositions though. I don't think I could be certain it didn't exist but there is an insurmountable difference if that was the case anyway.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what opened you up to deism at the time?
24-04-2015, 09:14 AM
For me, the deist type of God -- who created everything, set things in motion, and then retired -- and who doesn't take any personal interest in humanity in general or any specific human being in particular -- is indistinguishable from no God at all. If there is no afterlife, no reward or punishment for how we live our lives, then who cares how the universe got started? Maybe there is some scientific interest, but it seems to be an ultimately unanswerable question, and it really has no bearing on anything else. I pretty much went directly from Catholic to atheist with no intervening deist stage, but as I said, I see no important difference between deist and atheist. Either way, I don't have to worry about worshipping God or pleasing Him. He doesn't care about me, and I don't care about him, so it doesn't matter whether or not he exists.
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-04-2015, 09:22 AM
(24-04-2015 09:09 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 09:04 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I had some moments of opening up to deism, but regarding to this topic I liked my position to a Carl Sagan quote and point.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what opened you up to deism at the time?

I don't know, I just talked about randomly going into earthy-pagan phases and Buddhist phases yesterday in a thread questioning earth religions and their appeal to some people. I suppose it was just a piece of the pie still left over as if there might of been some thing to some cosmic idea that could of been out there. Most of the writings and poetry I was also into was 19th century writings at the time which often had a plea of deism to their thoughts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post