From Deism to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: From Deism to Atheism
Dee just didn't do it for me. Her brother was cuter than she was.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 09:36 AM
(24-04-2015 09:14 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  For me, the deist type of God -- who created everything, set things in motion, and then retired -- and who doesn't take any personal interest in humanity in general or any specific human being in particular -- is indistinguishable from no God at all.

At some level I find this true. In terms of how one lives his life, and carrys on with his everyday existence, there's nothing particularly distinguishing between an atheist and a deist. In terms of human life, there seems to be no discernible difference between a God indifferent to it, and a God who is not there at all.

But in my view Deist unlike Atheist don't have to defend similar ideological commitments, they're not as dependent on defending and upholding materialism to the extent that many atheist would. And I think a lot of the views expressed by many liberal, humanistic atheists types, make a better fit with some sort of deism, than atheism. The views becomes more coherent, and less contradictory when aligned with deism than not.
24-04-2015, 09:41 AM
(24-04-2015 09:22 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't know, I just talked about randomly going into earthy-pagan phases and Buddhist phases yesterday in a thread questioning earth religions and their appeal to some people. I suppose it was just a piece of the pie still left over as if there might of been some thing to some cosmic idea that could of been out there. Most of the writings and poetry I was also into was 19th century writings at the time which often had a plea of deism to their thoughts.

So would you say the reason you held on to deism, or deistic inclinations, was pretty much for emotional reasons? There wasn't any real rational consideration involved? That you pretty much believed because it felt better than not to, at the time, and not because it made more sense to you than atheism?
24-04-2015, 09:50 AM
(24-04-2015 09:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But in my view Deist unlike Atheist don't have to defend similar ideological commitments, they're not as dependent on defending and upholding materialism to the extent that many atheist would. And I think a lot of the views expressed by many liberal, humanistic atheists types, make a better fit with some sort of deism, than atheism. The views becomes more coherent, and less contradictory when aligned with deism than not.

Can you explain this further?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
24-04-2015, 09:57 AM
(24-04-2015 09:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But in my view Deist unlike Atheist don't have to defend similar ideological commitments, they're not as dependent on defending and upholding materialism to the extent that many atheist would.

Upholding materialism is not difficult since there is no evidence of anything else.

Quote:And I think a lot of the views expressed by many liberal, humanistic atheists types, make a better fit with some sort of deism, than atheism. The views becomes more coherent, and less contradictory when aligned with deism than not.

How so?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 09:59 AM
My transition went something like this:

1. Theist. Belief in Abrahamic deity.

2. Actually read holy text. Instantly gave up belief in Abrahamic deity.

3. Became a general theist. Believed that there is some sort of god that interfered with reality.

4. After considering it, I discovered I was just holding on to unsupported beliefs as a security blanket.

5. Became deist. This lasted for a very short time.

6. Called myself a pantheist for about a week. But as soon as I asked myself, "what am I calling god?". The answer was "the universe". I decided that we already had a perfectly good word for the universe, and that word was...wait for it...universe.

7. Hey, I guess I'm an atheist.
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
24-04-2015, 10:01 AM
I feel like Deism is perhaps the humblest or least presumptuous of theological viewpoints. I think it's sort of a catch-all belief system for people who want to think that there's a foundation underneath some of Man's noble concepts like justice, morality, and purpose which is more eternal than Man himself. I think it appeals to people who want to believe that there's a prime mover, that someone or something set the wheels in motion so to speak, but who aren't self-righteous enough to presume to know what that prime mover is or what its purpose might be. To me it's essentially agnosticism with one foot in the "someone's looking out for us" camp. And it's hard to take issue with that when its adherents make no attempt to curtail the rights and freedoms of others, or to undermine secular authority. I think for a great many people it's not much of a stretch to go from that position to a position where justice and morality are viewed as the inevitably-evolving social constructs of a reasonably intelligent pack animal and purpose is an internalized individual pursuit and none of these need involve a supernatural prime mover.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
24-04-2015, 10:03 AM
(24-04-2015 08:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  My question is primarily for folks who at one point in their life considered themselves deist but who eventually accepted atheism.

What led you to be a deist? And what caused you to go from being a deist to an atheist? Why did you reject deism?

I went from a Catholic to a deist. This happened pretty quickly. Then not much long after I became an atheist.
From catholic to deist because I couldn't accept all of the ridiculousness. From deist to atheist once I realized there was no actual evidence for a god.

As a side note.
I don't have a problem with the deist mindset. They don't seem to claim to know gods mind and I don't think they cut heads off.
A headline I'd be surprised to see is "Deist Rebels Attack Atheist Stronghold."
24-04-2015, 10:06 AM
(24-04-2015 09:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  But in my view Deist unlike Atheist don't have to defend similar ideological commitments, they're not as dependent on defending and upholding materialism to the extent that many atheist would. And I think a lot of the views expressed by many liberal, humanistic atheists types, make a better fit with some sort of deism, than atheism. The views becomes more coherent, and less contradictory when aligned with deism than not.

You seem to be implying here, that atheism and materialism are some sort of dogmatic positions.

I 'defend and uphold' materialism because that is all that has been demonstrated to exist. As soon as an immaterial supernatural reality is demonstrated (with evidence and reasoned argument) to exist, I will alter my position and accept the evidence.

Until an immaterial supernatural reality is demonstrated to exist, what would be my justification to believe it does?
24-04-2015, 10:07 AM
In my opinion, Deism hold a fatal flaw. It still cling to a god concept and not only that. it postulate, at least in most classical form of deism, a single god and not several in addition to attributing to him the creation of the univers. To me deism is simply a form of theism that describe a cosmologie ruled by the forces of nature, created by a god who's now fonctionnaly useless to it's creation. It seems to me like a God of the Gap kind of concept. While I did subscribed to deism in my past I have come to realise that the if indeed a timeless, all powerful «thing» did created the univers (which isn't even close to a solid theory at this point) it doesn't make it a god. For exemple, without the Sun, the Earth and all it's life would have never existed and once it will be gone, Earth will be destroyed and be nothing more than dust. This doesn't make the Sun God, a minor god, a demi god or anything like that. It's just a star like so many other.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post