From Fundamental Evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
From Fundamental Evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity to Atheism
Hi everyone! New to the forum, obviously, and new to unbelief.

I'm curious if there are any other former Orthodox Christians here? I grew up evangelical, but converted to Orthodoxy in 2001. I quit going about two years ago, and recently admitted to myself that I'm an atheist, and probably have been all this time. Hooray for self delusion!! Wink

My priest finally noticed my absence and emailed me to see how I was doing and if I wanted to meet up. I don't really have anything to say because my beliefs are non-negotiable right now, but a large part of me wants to tell him about my journey.

Any reasons for or against doing that?

It was the same when I converted from my Protestant church...I wanted to tell the pastor exactly why I left because I was so disillusioned and angry. I was dissuaded from doing that, but still wish I had.

Anyway. I'm excited to be here. Smile

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post
11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
RE: From Fundamental Evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity to Atheism
Hi Zaika. Welcome to the forums. Have an insightful stay.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
(11-08-2011 12:14 PM)zaika Wrote:  Hi everyone! New to the forum, obviously, and new to unbelief.

I'm curious if there are any other former Orthodox Christians here? I grew up evangelical, but converted to Orthodoxy in 2001. I quit going about two years ago, and recently admitted to myself that I'm an atheist, and probably have been all this time. Hooray for self delusion!! Wink

My priest finally noticed my absence and emailed me to see how I was doing and if I wanted to meet up. I don't really have anything to say because my beliefs are non-negotiable right now, but a large part of me wants to tell him about my journey.

Any reasons for or against doing that?

It was the same when I converted from my Protestant church...I wanted to tell the pastor exactly why I left because I was so disillusioned and angry. I was dissuaded from doing that, but still wish I had.

Anyway. I'm excited to be here. Smile

Now that I have become a convinced atheist I would love to speak to Christians of all sorts but curiously all the pamphleteers seem to have disappeared.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post
12-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Feel free to talk to your priest about it all, why not, nothing bad there, just be polite and don't be angry at hi, or the church. Diplomacy, civility, show them that you are even better man now that you are an atheist. BTW, there is at least one ex-Orthodox Christian here, just joined us couple of days ago...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
(12-08-2011 01:49 AM)Filox Wrote:  Feel free to talk to your priest about it all, why not, nothing bad there, just be polite and don't be angry at hi, or the church. Diplomacy, civility, show them that you are even better man now that you are an atheist. BTW, there is at least one ex-Orthodox Christian here, just joined us couple of days ago...

You don't happen to remember his/her user name? If not, no worries. Smile

I'm actually female. Smile But thank you so much for your words. I'm terrified to talk to him, but it would at least be closure. He's not a bad man, either.

The thing about it is, is that I do miss being in the church during a service. I miss the sights and sounds and smells. It's very tranquil and the liturgy is so beautiful. It's when I start listening to the words being sung and chanted that I get a tad annoyed and irate. lol

Anyway. Thanks again.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post
12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
(12-08-2011 05:21 PM)zaika Wrote:  The thing about it is, is that I do miss being in the church during a service. I miss the sights and sounds and smells. It's very tranquil and the liturgy is so beautiful.

No reason to stop going to church just because you're an atheist. It's wonderful theater after all.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
24-08-2011, 05:52 PM
(12-08-2011 07:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-08-2011 05:21 PM)zaika Wrote:  The thing about it is, is that I do miss being in the church during a service. I miss the sights and sounds and smells. It's very tranquil and the liturgy is so beautiful.

No reason to stop going to church just because you're an atheist. It's wonderful theater after all.

It's a beautiful theater! One of these days I'll go when I'm not enjoying the beautiful summer weather. Wink

- Carl Sagan
25-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Well now, if you don't believe in those stories, but you like the music, why not? At least it's free, for now at least...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Late to the party, but I found this through google. I guess there aren't a lot of us out there? I also grew up Evangelical and went to Orthodoxy for a more "authentic ancient" Christian experience. Oh, and a guy. It was really disappointing to realize that after learning so much about Orthodoxy and going to church and fasting and trying really hard...I still didn't believe in God. And I also thought a lot of Orthodoxy was backwards or worse, something many people don't learn until they have joined. I don't think I ever told my priest about it. He sent me an email asking what I was up to and I said I'd moved away, which was true. I guess there were rumors about me because I noticed no one from the church ever spoke to me again, which was said because I considered some of these people my friends.

I sometimes go to a local Episcopal church, just for the music and whatnot. I like church and no one bothers me there. And I don't have to hear sermons about hateful stuff, just kind of silly stuff. I don't miss fasting at all. For those of you who don't know, it's very strict in Orthodoxy and it's for half the year. People can really be jerks about it and they seem to expect more from converts. It always made me feel sick, no matter how much I tried to do it. One priest told me it was Ok to eat yogurt sometimes as long as it wasn't luxurious yogurt. Ugh, I don't miss those kind of attitudes at all.
[+] 2 users Like happyelk happyelk's post
12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New to atheism Guardian0 8 133 23-03-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: Blackhand293
Heart Greetings from an ex orthodox christian! Nebulæ 29 873 02-11-2013 10:52 AM
Last Post: viocjit
Wink Atheism cheezepye 3 182 01-08-2013 09:18 AM
Last Post: cheapthrillseaker
  I'm new to the forum and atheism. Dixie92 4 365 14-05-2013 07:27 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  New to the forum, newer to atheism hellbound'n'proud 8 377 18-04-2013 05:52 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
Smile Hello! share with me your opinions and stand about atheism! GuiltyAngel 8 456 11-03-2013 06:08 PM
Last Post: kellyrm
  From Atheist to Atheistic-Satanism to Atheism Goat of Mendes 8 517 08-12-2012 05:44 AM
Last Post: Free Thought