From Fundamental Evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity to Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
RE: From Fundamental Evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity to Atheism
(12-08-2011 05:21 PM)zaika Wrote:  The thing about it is, is that I do miss being in the church during a service. I miss the sights and sounds and smells. It's very tranquil and the liturgy is so beautiful. It's when I start listening to the words being sung and chanted that I get a tad annoyed and irate.

There's no reason you can't still go to church if you enjoy the experience.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Kind of an old thread, but if the question is still relevant, I used to be Orthodox too.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
22-02-2012, 03:56 AM
I have read the posts from the former orthodox and i completely understand. I am a devout Christian, but it is because I have faith my whole life and have taken the time to study theology,apologetics. and I know why you don't like orthodoxy, the way some people treat others about the way they live their lives is wrong, whether they are Antiochian or Greek or Russian or whatever, it is a stubborn thing, and sometimes the priests,who alive dedicated their whole lives to this, get very frustrated with the faithful and lose sight of their job from God and actually turn people away. while doctrinally it is the true Church, it is only 99% correct, because the other 1% is the room given for human error to occur. but it is because of the canonized beliefs of the apostles and early Church fathers via the Holy Spirit,( AND NOT SOMEBODY'S OWN INTERPRETATION OF THE BIBLE, or THEIR IDEAS BASED ON THEIR OWN THEOLOGICAL OPINION, WHICH ENDS UP LEADING MANY ASTRAY) that we know what we believe to be legit. I grew up believing in God but not really caring the way a lot of kids do in the church. in fact, 60-something % of kids who grow up in the church, graduate and never really return,leaving for some more modern and easier faith to suit their needs and lifestyle. A lot disagree with their church member's behavior and "judgementalness". I know because ive been there. i just wanted to tell you all this because I KNOW WHERE YOURE COMING FROM. I do pray that one day you will return to the faith, because it is such a sacred blessing from God, but that is between you and Him. I respect all people's opinions,in the hopes that they will respect what I have to say, but that does not mean I think everybody's free thought is the most important thing..but i digress, i wish you all good day. and please feel free to message me with any theological questions or concerns you may still have unanswered, ill see what i can do, i understand why you wouldnt want to listen to an angry old priest who yells, and i fully respect,from one intelligent being to another, your decision
[+] 2 users Like OrthodoxChristian's post
24-02-2012, 01:37 AM
(22-02-2012 03:56 AM)OrthodoxChristian Wrote:  I have read the posts from the former orthodox and i completely understand. I am a devout Christian, but it is because I have faith my whole life and have taken the time to study theology,apologetics.

I'd like to have you in this forum talking about your beliefs. I hope this isn't your firts and last post.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KVron's post
24-02-2012, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 07:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-02-2012 03:56 AM)OrthodoxChristian Wrote:  I have read the posts from the former orthodox and i completely understand. ...

I think I recall a thread around here about most brilliant first posts, but I can't seem to find it to copy this there. Welcome OC.

P.S. KVron, find a new sig that's not so pussy.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
19-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Hey, just kind of wanted to add my name to the "ex-Orthodox" people. At one point I wanted nothing but to be an Orthodox priest and had been ordain as a Reader, in fact (still am, I suppose, technically). It's definitely been a journey.
19-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Spoon pics NAO!

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
29-11-2012, 04:07 PM
(17-02-2012 09:19 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Kind of an old thread, but if the question is still relevant, I used to be Orthodox too.
Were you raised Orthodox, or like the original poster were you raised Protestant? (I was raised Orthodox.)
29-11-2012, 05:00 PM
(29-11-2012 04:07 PM)Audrey Wrote:  
(17-02-2012 09:19 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Kind of an old thread, but if the question is still relevant, I used to be Orthodox too.
Were you raised Orthodox, or like the original poster were you raised Protestant? (I was raised Orthodox.)
[Image: a56efb1f_1000x500px-LL-f845ba46_Thread_Necromancy.jpg]

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
29-11-2012, 05:29 PM
(29-11-2012 04:07 PM)Audrey Wrote:  
Hey Audrey,
I'm not Orthodox, but my screenname did happen to come from an Orthodox priest. Lecture_preist

Malleus doesn't post a lot so he may miss your question. From what I remember, he grew up Orthodox, finished seminary to become a priest and then finally found atheism.

He's married to Leela. She's an active poster so if you see her around, I'm sure she'd be happy to let Malleus know you're here.

Most importantly, welcome to TTA.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post