'From Minister to Atheist'--on NPR

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
'From Minister to Atheist'--on NPR
This story ran on NPR (U.S. National Public Radio) yesterday. It's worth a listen.

i wasn't completely won over by how this woman handled her situation, but I found it encouraging that the story aired so prominently. (Wikipedia says that "All Things Considered," the program that included this segment, gets over 12 million listeners a week.) They said today that the response to the story was huge, and mostly negative. I think of NPR listeners as more advanced than most, so that was disappointing. But at least such stories are getting attention. Even better:

"This is the first in a series of stories on losing faith."

I found some of the other story links on that page interesting as well.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
01-05-2012, 09:47 PM
RE: 'From Minister to Atheist'--on NPR
I was going to post this earlier. Nice job, Cuff

I had the pleasure of speaking briefly with Teresa the week after she came out. Richard Dawkins brought her and Jerry DeWitt from The Clergy Project to speak at a Free Thinkers conference last month. What a great testimony and there are many others looking for an exit strategy to get out of their jobs.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Powerful woman.
The hate mail she received is from those that are internally threatened by her actions.
If she stopped believing what about them?
They now have a doubt that they must deal with.
Her coming out is an attack on their faith.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
02-05-2012, 07:13 AM
(01-05-2012 09:56 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Powerful woman.
The hate mail she received is from those that are internally threatened by her actions.
If she stopped believing what about them?
They now have a doubt that they must deal with.
Her coming out is an attack on their faith.
Well stated. The supernaturalists don't want any positive publicity given to those who dump God, because they've been programmed to think that such a release is something shameful that should be viewed with pity, or better yet just ignored altogether.
[+] 2 users Like Blood's post