From a child's point of view

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2013, 02:51 PM
From a child's point of view
This is how I came to disbelieve the existence of God.
At my Rudolf Steiner school I learned about the Egyptian God Ra: this was presented as mythology; I learned about Odin, Thor, Loki et al. all presented as mythology.

At some point, the story of Moses was also explained to me: I naturally assumed that this too was simply another story.

I do not recall my wonderful teacher ever saying to me "But kids, THIS particular story is different and it's all TRUE".

I do wonder thus: if we were to give all "beliefs" equal weight in school (when we are at our most impressionable) and provide a brief skimming of modern religions such as Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, oops and let's not forget Christianity - how might the kids weigh them up and decide?

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nonsense's post
31-03-2013, 04:10 PM
RE: From a child's point of view
(31-03-2013 02:51 PM)Nonsense Wrote:  This is how I came to disbelieve the existence of God.
At my Rudolf Steiner school I learned about the Egyptian God Ra: this was presented as mythology; I learned about Odin, Thor, Loki et al. all presented as mythology.

At some point, the story of Moses was also explained to me: I naturally assumed that this too was simply another story.

I do not recall my wonderful teacher ever saying to me "But kids, THIS particular story is different and it's all TRUE".

I do wonder thus: if we were to give all "beliefs" equal weight in school (when we are at our most impressionable) and provide a brief skimming of modern religions such as Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, oops and let's not forget Christianity - how might the kids weigh them up and decide?

Thoughts?

This is what is known as comparative religion studies and would be a wonderful thing if implemented (heh teaching the bible in school the fundies would love it right up to the point where they realise that all the myths are treated the same) Anyway Prof Richard Dawkins brings up this very thing in "The God Delusion if you havent read it I highly recomend its probably top 2 atheist works right up there with Christopher Hitchen's God is not Great but yes most children when presented with all the stories will see the common threads and the fact that none of them make any sense outside of the fairy tale.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Thank you for the links. I shall explore further.
[+] 1 user Likes Nonsense's post
01-04-2013, 01:58 AM
In a sense, I sense that you are making sense, Nonsense.

Welcome to TTA.

01-04-2013, 04:52 AM
And there's also Taoism and Confucianism, which mostly regarded as philosophies rather than religions.

Want something? Then do something.
01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
1. Interesting - Ever read about Steiner's mystical Christianity and his attempts to discredit/dethrone Adolf Hitler?

2. How come freethinkers accuse the Bible writers of grubbing for power and privilege but it never crosses their mind that the prideful and (thanks to you) wealthy Hitchens and Dawkins never wrote under the same bias/desire?
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
(01-04-2013 01:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  2. How come freethinkers accuse the Bible writers of grubbing for power and privilege but it never crosses their mind that the prideful and (thanks to you) wealthy Hitchens and Dawkins never wrote under the same bias/desire?

That is a silly question. Um maybe because unlike the "authors" of the bible, Hitchens and Dawkins provide logic and science to support their claims. They also made/make themselves open to public debate and scrutiny? The bible authors make some extraordinary claims that are backed up by zero evidence. Sure there are some rare cases of the bible actually getting a historical fact right, but there still remains to this day zero evidence for the miracles.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM

(31-03-2013 02:51 PM)Nonsense Wrote:  This is how I came to disbelieve the existence of God.

Thoughts?

If you teach a kid something is true, and you're the one they look up to, that's what they'll believe.

Later reason will dictate the existence of God and the nature of God. Reason, education, insight, and intelligence will prove to you that God is necessary. When you contemplate further you will see that it is necessary that God is monistic in nature, then you will see that all things are of the substance of God, but only humans are capable of realizing that fact. Then you will see that the only possible reason for a human to exist is to realize that fact. Then you will see that the only religious person like that was Jesus Christ. Then you will see that the human purpose is to be what Jesus was--to be Christ, God conscious of Himself from within His creation.

Then you and I will start trying to figure out what we're supposed to do in this world as Christ.

See, it all makes sense. Yes
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 02:58 PM by Free Thought.)
(01-04-2013 02:42 PM)Egor Wrote:  

Thoughts?

If you teach a kid something is true, and you're the one they look up to, that's what they'll believe.

Later reason will dictate the existence of God and the nature of God. Reason, education, insight, and intelligence will prove to you that God is necessary. When you contemplate further you will see that it is necessary that God is monistic in nature, then you will see that all things are of the substance of God, but only humans are capable of realizing that fact. Then you will see that the only possible reason for a human to exist is to realize that fact. Then you will see that the only religious person like that was Jesus Christ. Then you will see that the human purpose is to be what Jesus was--to be Christ, God conscious of Himself from within His creation.

Then you and I will start trying to figure out what we're supposed to do in this world as Christ.

See, it all makes sense. Yes

Yay!

Mister Ego makes the best of comedy tales!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
(01-04-2013 01:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  1. Interesting - Ever read about Steiner's mystical Christianity and his attempts to discredit/dethrone Adolf Hitler?

Who wouldn't want to unseat Hitler? What does that have to do with anyone's interest in mysticism, religion, or for that matter, anything about this thread?
Dodgy

Greetings Nonsense - I went to a US public school but it sounds quite similar to your upbringing. My favorite stories were Aesop's Fables and when bible stories came up, I too connected them with the stories of Aesop. At one point, I distinctly recall making the observation that Aesop had the same stories but the characters were animals and more fun to draw pictures about.

I was in fairly progressive programs within the school - I think there was a bit of "experimentation" going on in public schools in the 60s & 70s, for which I am extremely grateful. I can't imagine not being freely given information and not having been encouraged to explore beyond that information.

I always felt as if I had a responsibility to hold up my end of education by self educating. When I was taught how to think, I immediately understood that I wanted no one to tell me what to think rather, I wanted to think for myself.

So yes, in my opinion - children can and do understand, learn, and make rational decisions if provided the proper tools, enough information, and the freedom to think for themselves. Good post. Thumbsup

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein