From a child's point of view

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: From a child's point of view
(31-03-2013 02:51 PM)Nonsense Wrote:  This is how I came to disbelieve the existence of God.
At my Rudolf Steiner school I learned about the Egyptian God Ra: this was presented as mythology; I learned about Odin, Thor, Loki et al. all presented as mythology.

At some point, the story of Moses was also explained to me: I naturally assumed that this too was simply another story.

I do not recall my wonderful teacher ever saying to me "But kids, THIS particular story is different and it's all TRUE".

I do wonder thus: if we were to give all "beliefs" equal weight in school (when we are at our most impressionable) and provide a brief skimming of modern religions such as Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, oops and let's not forget Christianity - how might the kids weigh them up and decide?

Thoughts?

The dominant religion of a culture dies when the culture dies. All gods end up in the catagory of 'myths'.

When our current dominant culture dies, Yahweh, El, Allah, Yeshua will all end up in the 'myth' catagory too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
(01-04-2013 02:42 PM)Egor Wrote:  Later reason will dictate the existence of God and the nature of God. Reason, education, insight, and intelligence will prove to you that God is necessary. When you contemplate further you will see that it is necessary that God is monistic in nature, then you will see that all things are of the substance of God, but only humans are capable of realizing that fact. Then you will see that the only possible reason for a human to exist is to realize that fact. Then you will see that the only religious person like that was Jesus Christ. Then you will see that the human purpose is to be what Jesus was--to be Christ, God conscious of Himself from within His creation.

That's a nice pile of unsupported assertions you have there.
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
(01-04-2013 01:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  1. Interesting - Ever read about Steiner's mystical Christianity and his attempts to discredit/dethrone Adolf Hitler?

Nope, can't say I have read about that. Discrediting Adolf Hitler sounds like rather a good idea to me - then again, the majority of my relatives are Jewish and I would have many more cousins if Adolf hadn't killed them all off.

(01-04-2013 01:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  2. How come freethinkers accuse the Bible writers of grubbing for power and privilege but it never crosses their mind that the prideful and (thanks to you) wealthy Hitchens and Dawkins never wrote under the same bias/desire?

I can't speak for Dawkins, but I've watched a few Hitch slaps on Youtube (great entertainment). You are absolutely correct that he "...wrote under the same bias/desire", but he didn't hide it at all. Whenever he was being interviewed about one of his books he invariably slipped in a few cheeky "And it's available at fine bookstores everywhere." "Wealthy" Hitchens was perfectly upfront about his desire for people to purchase his books, and thereby give some of their money to him.
[+] 1 user Likes Nonsense's post
01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
(01-04-2013 01:52 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  2. How come freethinkers accuse the Bible writers of grubbing for power and privilege but it never crosses their mind that the prideful and (thanks to you) wealthy Hitchens and Dawkins never wrote under the same bias/desire?

Well ultimatly that comparison fails on the basis that both Dawkins and Hitchens present their arguments as opinion (Hitchens even invited debate up until his tragic and untimely exit from the unvierse) Where as the authors of the Bible claimed divine insperation and that it was fact.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
(01-04-2013 02:42 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 02:51 PM)Nonsense Wrote:  This is how I came to disbelieve the existence of God.
At my Rudolf Steiner school I learned about the Egyptian God Ra: this was presented as mythology; I learned about Odin, Thor, Loki et al. all presented as mythology.

At some point, the story of Moses was also explained to me: I naturally assumed that this too was simply another story.

I do not recall my wonderful teacher ever saying to me "But kids, THIS particular story is different and it's all TRUE".

I do wonder thus: if we were to give all "beliefs" equal weight in school (when we are at our most impressionable) and provide a brief skimming of modern religions such as Islam, Hinduism, Jainism, oops and let's not forget Christianity - how might the kids weigh them up and decide?

Thoughts?

If you teach a kid something is true, and you're the one they look up to, that's what they'll believe.

Later reason will dictate the existence of God and the nature of God. Reason, education, insight, and intelligence will prove to you that God is necessary. When you contemplate further you will see that it is necessary that God is monistic in nature, then you will see that all things are of the substance of God, but only humans are capable of realizing that fact. Then you will see that the only possible reason for a human to exist is to realize that fact. Then you will see that the only religious person like that was Jesus Christ. Then you will see that the human purpose is to be what Jesus was--to be Christ, God conscious of Himself from within His creation.

Then you and I will start trying to figure out what we're supposed to do in this world as Christ.

See, it all makes sense. Yes

Sure, if you are a delusional monomaniac.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
(01-04-2013 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Ego Wrote:Then you and I will start trying to figure out what we're supposed to do in this world as Christ.
See, it all makes sense.
Sure, if you are a delusional monomaniac.

Ha hahahahah ha hhhey... wait... Consider ...wasn't Ego supposed to be gone by Easter, as he previously announced?

Another empty promise from the self anointed... business as usual, I suppose... no rest for the righteous brand of wicked. Angel

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.