From days gone by

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
26-07-2016, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2016 04:15 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: From days gone by
(24-07-2016 12:52 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Actually, objectively they dont. Tube amps sound better than semiconductor amps because of a feature that makes then technically inferior.
They sound better particularly in "overdrive". Overdrive means the guitar player is adding distortion intentionally, someting you would never do if you wanted to correctly transmit information.
Tube amps tend to add distortion way before max power output and slowly increase in doing so. For some (evolutionary?) reason this sounds "good" to human ears.
Semiconductor amps work without any distortion up to max power where they suddenly "add" all distorion at one. So a guitar player wouldnt be able to smoothly control "overdrive".

I wanted to address this yesterday but got caught up in schtuff ... music isn't about tramsmitting information "correctly". It's about transmitting emotion clearly. Because of their responsiveness, tubes are ideal for that function; they're touch-sensitive given a good circuit, responding to the nuance a guitar-player can apply with both pick-attack and fretboard pressure. We don't even hear much of the distortion consciously as "dirt" or "overdrive" -- a good Fender circuit will sound crystalline even as distortion is happening.

Transistor circuits clip in a wave that is more "square", which tends to emphasize odd-order harmonics and sounds, to the human ear, harsher. Because tubes emphasize even-order harmonics, they sound more "musical" to the human ear. Is it evolution? I dunno.

Finally, there are some great guitar amplifiers which have nary a tube in them -- Polytone, GK, and so on. Even as far back as 20 years ago, amp mfrs were wanting to deliver good tones at cut rates, and worked hard at making solid-state amps which softened the "knee" at which clipping happened. Some of them were crummy, others pretty goddamned good. Other mfrs chose a hybrid setup, using tubes in either the preamp or the power amp, and SS in the other.

No doubt you, given your profession, know all this, but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things. You're right that the inefficiency of tubes is a technical deficiency from an engineer's standpoint -- but from the PoV of most guitarists, such imperfection is perfectly apt.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2016, 01:39 PM
(26-07-2016 03:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 04:49 PM)bemore Wrote:  Bum bags/Fanny packs.

Nintendo scope.

Yo yo's

Spokey dokey's

Manual car window handles.

Our virginty....

I happen to LIKE manual car window handles...........

If I was buying a new car - I'd pay extra to have manual windows and no sun roof......Personally - I'd rather not have carpet.. Vinyl flooring is more durable...

I'm not all that crazy about electronic windows either. If I ever got stuck underwater I'd like to be able to roll the window down so I can get outta the car.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
27-07-2016, 01:54 PM
(27-07-2016 01:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 03:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I happen to LIKE manual car window handles...........

If I was buying a new car - I'd pay extra to have manual windows and no sun roof......Personally - I'd rather not have carpet.. Vinyl flooring is more durable...

I'm not all that crazy about electronic windows either. If I ever got stuck underwater I'd like to be able to roll the window down so I can get outta the car.

I have had to borrow my mates car while mine is off the road.
It is a R reg Nissan Micra with manual wind down windows, no power steering, it has a cassette player (that does not work) and all the doors and boot have to be opened individually.
I love it, back to the good old days.Smile
27-07-2016, 02:51 PM
(27-07-2016 01:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 03:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I happen to LIKE manual car window handles...........

I know two guys it happened to..(Both Coasties).. Seridia Laney and Don Borrego (if by some chance they're out there reading this) --- on Kodiak Island in the winter of 1982...

They slid on ice off the road through a guardrail and out onto a thin layer of ice on a lake -- and went through... Don got both of his legs broken when they hit the guardrail.. The car was starting to go under when Laney got his window down - and as the car sunk under the water -- he managed to unbuckle Don's seatbelt -- and drag him out the window -- and pulled them both to the surface.....

I always thought he shoulda gotten a Coast Guard lifesaving medal -- because after all - it was in the water....... He didn't get it..... Fuck it... He's still a hero to more than a few people...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-07-2016, 04:27 PM
When I was little you could take a drinking straw and blow the paper cover off. Somewhere along the way they put holes in the paper covering so you couldn't do that anymore. . Dammit. It took all the fun out of being a kid

[Image: tumblr_lp6h9bg6L31ql3m18.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-07-2016, 04:29 PM
(27-07-2016 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was little you could take a drinking straw and blow the paper cover off. Somewhere along the way they put holes in the paper covering so you couldn't do that anymore. . Dammit. It took all the fun out of being a kid

and bubble wrap doesn't pop anymore.....

BASTARDS!!!!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-07-2016, 04:48 PM
(27-07-2016 04:29 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 04:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was little you could take a drinking straw and blow the paper cover off. Somewhere along the way they put holes in the paper covering so you couldn't do that anymore. . Dammit. It took all the fun out of being a kid

and bubble wrap doesn't pop anymore.....

BASTARDS!!!!!!

WHAT? ! Gasp

Popping bubble wrap is what has kept me sane. Without that I might be on heavy medication.

I have a hypothesis about bubble wrap. I think popping the bubbles is evolutionary. It goes back to a time when we would pick nits and fleas off of each other's hairy bodies and squeeze the little buggers until they pop. Chimps do this sometimes.

That was totally off topic. Sorry.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-07-2016, 05:06 PM
(22-07-2016 08:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: The-grim-70s-and-Meat-Loaf-combo.jpg]

Cooking dinner in your car seems kinda futuristic to me.... Angel

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
27-07-2016, 05:25 PM
(24-07-2016 03:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This was a little before my time but I remember my older sister using one of these. Cover your eyes fellas.

[Image: Kotex_20Belt_2002_large.jpeg?v=1426695231]

[Image: 1-3.jpg]

I remember reading about those in a Judy Blume book. I didn't get that they were not used anymore, so I assumed that some women used them until I had a close enough girlfriend to learn that they were archaic.