From days gone by

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
24-07-2016, 03:45 PM
RE: From days gone by
This was a little before my time but I remember my older sister using one of these. Cover your eyes fellas.

[Image: Kotex_20Belt_2002_large.jpeg?v=1426695231]

[Image: 1-3.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-07-2016, 04:37 PM
(24-07-2016 11:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 10:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My grandmother still uses an old dos machine that mostly runs programs from dual 5 1/4 floppy drives, though it has a 40 megabyte hard drive upgrade. [...]

I still use the DOS command if I wanna drill down into files.

—My first "computer" that I purchased 32 years ago. Yikes Shocking

[Image: spectrum.png]

The Spectrum featured Zilog's Z80A 8-bit processor running at 3.5MHz, 16Kb of ROM hosting BASIC, with 16Kb of DRAM, 256x192 pixel display, 8 colors, monotone sound through a tiny inbuilt speaker, a rubberised keyboard, and audio tape connectors. Each key had three functions, and there was no text editor.

And of course there was no HDD; we had to use one of these babies, which ran at the speed of a supercharged snail...

[Image: business_00006_panasonic_rq_tape.jpg]

Those were the days..... sadly long gone..... Sad

I liked the rubberized keyboards. You could spill coffee on them. Now I keep an extra keyboard around all the time. I killed the last one by spitting coffee all over it looking at the "pictures for a laugh at religion" thread.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-07-2016, 05:04 PM
(24-07-2016 12:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Jesus... I had that exact Panasonic cassette recorder....

So did I. I remember recording songs off the radio and having to hold that recorder up to the speaker to get it.

Which brings me to another archaic thing: calling in a song request to a DJ.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
24-07-2016, 05:34 PM
(24-07-2016 12:52 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 07:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's some stuff that tubes still do better than transistors....

Actually, objectively they dont. Tube amps sound better than semiconductor amps because of a feature that makes then technically inferior.
They sound better particularly in "overdrive". Overdrive means the guitar player is adding distortion intentionally, someting you would never do if you wanted to correctly transmit information.
Tube amps tend to add distortion way before max power output and slowly increase in doing so. For some (evolutionary?) reason this sounds "good" to human ears.
Semiconductor amps work without any distortion up to max power where they suddenly "add" all distorion at one. So a guitar player wouldnt be able to smoothly control "overdrive".

(24-07-2016 07:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Another plus - they handle radiation bombardment better than a transistor. They're "bulletproof"..
Big Grin
I dont know if this applies in geneal, but early in my career i applied for a job in a company designing electronics for ESAs Rosetta mission.
They didnt have tubes, only "normal" circuit boards. I asked them about robustness against cosmic rays and they told me that they use very common semiconductors, but special "radiation hardened" versions. The difference in cost was jaw dropping. 10€ vs 10.000€ each piece literally!

Plenty of rad-hard electronics in MilSatCom; yup, they cost beaucoup bucks. S-Class parts also take a ton of development and test time. It has to work for the design/contract life of the spacecraft; the company that built it loses money when the thing fails inside the warranty. You can't go grab it back and get a do-over on space hardware.
24-07-2016, 06:10 PM
(24-07-2016 11:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 10:05 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My grandmother still uses an old dos machine that mostly runs programs from dual 5 1/4 floppy drives, though it has a 40 megabyte hard drive upgrade. [...]

I still use the DOS command if I wanna drill down into files.

The Spectrum featured Zilog's Z80A 8-bit processor running at 3.5MHz, 16Kb of ROM hosting BASIC, with 16Kb of DRAM, 256x192 pixel display, 8 colors, monotone sound through a tiny inbuilt speaker, a rubberised keyboard, and audio tape connectors. Each key had three functions, and there was no text editor.

And of course there was no HDD; we had to use one of these babies, which ran at the speed of a supercharged snail...

I was pretty stubborn about giving up the command prompt back when Windows was still basically just something built on top of Dos.. My batch file system was way faster than point and click navigation.

'Murican Canadian
24-07-2016, 06:16 PM
How about a push mower that has no motor at all, except the two legged one pushing it!
24-07-2016, 06:17 PM
(24-07-2016 05:04 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 12:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Jesus... I had that exact Panasonic cassette recorder....

So did I. I remember recording songs off the radio and having to hold that recorder up to the speaker to get it.

Which brings me to another archaic thing: calling in a song request to a DJ.

I as I have stated several times I live in the Dominican Republic and the call in song requests are still going on here.
24-07-2016, 07:40 PM
(24-07-2016 06:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 11:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I still use the DOS command if I wanna drill down into files.

I was pretty stubborn about giving up the command prompt back when Windows was still basically just something built on top of Dos.. My batch file system was way faster than point and click navigation.

I never actually dealt that much with PCs in the very beginning. Most of my work was on main frames. Later, as the technology developed, we got to where PCs could do what array processors used to do. In the early days ('80s-'90s), I could alias commands on a VAX to drill down to the cases I had to work. I used mnemonics for them. If I forgot a mnemonic, I could just look at my login command file, which processed all those aliases when I logged in. I could type '34LAHC' and that would take me to a directory where that string had meaning. I even made command files that, once I got the seed information correct, would do the rest of the work, and name the output files properly at the end of the processing time. We had all kinds of meetings to go to, and had little time to sit there staring at the monitor. So, I automated everything I could. At that time, I was in systems engineering. It was the only job I ever had in my life that I would have done for free. The risk if I was wrong was immense, but that provided a kind of spice that is seldom encountered. I really enjoyed those days. Then I got laid off, and never was able to get back to that job. Now I'm retired, and just use a laptop.
24-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Penny banger firecrackers.

[Image: 7335096064_24a29b2cd7.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-07-2016, 02:18 AM
Still hate it:

[Image: pila%20kablonkowa.JPG]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.