From the pulpit to politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 09:59 PM
From the pulpit to politics
NPR news gave a bare-bones facts-and-quotes report this morning of a certain convention taking place in Florida.

At this convention, evangelical pastors are encouraged to go into politics themselves, to preach "Biblical" values regarding modern society, and to encourage their members to vote conservative. (No mention of whether slavery, misogyny, polygamy, or genocide were Biblical or conservative values.)

My initial response was anger. They're doing it AGAIN. They're making another bid to turn this nation into (more of) a theocracy. I thought all the normal thoughts about separation of church and state, about the laws they'll break and the unconstitutional laws they'll pass. I almost boggled in contempt and bewilderment at the line (from an interviewee, not from NPR itself) that the United States is "a nation founded for the advancement of the Christian faith and the glory of God." The only thing that stopped me was that I'd seen it far too many times before. (For the record, it was founded for the principles of self-governance, liberty, and the ideal of equality. We're still working on the third one.)

Then something stopped my anger: the knowledge that I am not alone in it.

I remembered the recent Pew results showing how Christianity is hemorrhaging. BADLY.

I remembered the polling data from the growing "nones".

I remembered how one of the greatest things that alienated them from religion, was how the religious keep using the government to pass religious laws to persecute those they hate.

And now, they're doing it again.

And I've got such a huge smile on my face right now. Not a NICE smile, mind you. I've got lots and lots of teeth showing, as I anticipate the church driving off the NEXT generation with their hateful, vindictive, regressive ways.

What? They're mobilizing? They're going to push even even even harder to take over the mountain of government and push their religious agenda on all of us who disagree with it?

Please, please, do anything else to me, but PLEASE don't throw me in that briar patch!

Sure, it'll mean more work for us. They're going to try to undermine our gains, collapse the foundation of equality, freedom of conscience, rights, and democracy that we're building. We'll have to seal that off, pour a layer of bedrock over it, keep them from breaking through.

But as they keep digging themselves deeper, I am DELIGHTED to see them reaching for the extra shovels. Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
10-07-2015, 10:21 PM
RE: From the pulpit to politics
(10-07-2015 09:59 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  NPR news gave a bare-bones facts-and-quotes report this morning of a certain convention taking place in Florida.

At this convention, evangelical pastors are encouraged to go into politics themselves, to preach "Biblical" values regarding modern society, and to encourage their members to vote conservative. (No mention of whether slavery, misogyny, polygamy, or genocide were Biblical or conservative values.)

My initial response was anger. They're doing it AGAIN. They're making another bid to turn this nation into (more of) a theocracy. I thought all the normal thoughts about separation of church and state, about the laws they'll break and the unconstitutional laws they'll pass. I almost boggled in contempt and bewilderment at the line (from an interviewee, not from NPR itself) that the United States is "a nation founded for the advancement of the Christian faith and the glory of God." The only thing that stopped me was that I'd seen it far too many times before. (For the record, it was founded for the principles of self-governance, liberty, and the ideal of equality. We're still working on the third one.)

Then something stopped my anger: the knowledge that I am not alone in it.

I remembered the recent Pew results showing how Christianity is hemorrhaging. BADLY.

I remembered the polling data from the growing "nones".

I remembered how one of the greatest things that alienated them from religion, was how the religious keep using the government to pass religious laws to persecute those they hate.

And now, they're doing it again.

And I've got such a huge smile on my face right now. Not a NICE smile, mind you. I've got lots and lots of teeth showing, as I anticipate the church driving off the NEXT generation with their hateful, vindictive, regressive ways.

What? They're mobilizing? They're going to push even even even harder to take over the mountain of government and push their religious agenda on all of us who disagree with it?

Please, please, do anything else to me, but PLEASE don't throw me in that briar patch!

Sure, it'll mean more work for us. They're going to try to undermine our gains, collapse the foundation of equality, freedom of conscience, rights, and democracy that we're building. We'll have to seal that off, pour a layer of bedrock over it, keep them from breaking through.

But as they keep digging themselves deeper, I am DELIGHTED to see them reaching for the extra shovels. Evil_monster

This originally began, if I recall correctly, around 1967. Later in the early 80's it became stronger, especially under Reagan.

Christians here in Australia and now trying to follow the American lead but I think it wont be so easy. Aussies in general have a deep distrust of authority figures anyway and both the Anglican and catholic churches have been alienating people right acros the board for some time with all their scandals.

We just have to keep fighting for common sense. In human history, secularism occupies a tiny piece and is in fact unusual. If we are not careful we will lose it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-07-2015, 10:58 PM
(10-07-2015 10:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
This originally began, if I recall correctly, around 1967.

Or perhaps earlier.

The trial of Socrates?

Athens "a nation state founded for the advancement of faith and the glory of the Goddess."

Fucking liberals ... corrupting the youth of a Murika?

Pass the hemlock.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-07-2015, 05:26 AM
I don't mind the religious playing politics.... In fact I encourage it.....

Just as soon as they quit their tax free status - and pay taxes like everyone else...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-07-2015, 05:39 AM
(11-07-2015 05:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I don't mind the religious playing politics.... In fact I encourage it.....

Just as soon as they quit their tax free status - and pay taxes like everyone else...

No representation without taxation!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
11-07-2015, 06:08 AM
(10-07-2015 09:59 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I almost boggled in contempt and bewilderment at the line (from an interviewee, not from NPR itself) that the United States is "a nation founded for the advancement of the Christian faith and the glory of God."

Yeah, that line made me shake my head as well. I have noticed over the last year or so, however, that NPR seems to go out of its way to highlight statements like that. It isn't anything blatant, but their editing seems to me to have a generally pro-religious bias.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I've heard about this type of thing.

Interestingly, last time they tried the IRS cracked down on them and told them to stop it.

How long you think it'll take this time?

And how much longer before the cried of "christian persecution" start over it?
11-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Reading between the lines, I think MAYBE they're going to be more careful this time. For example, one of the convention speakers was talking about getting everyone to vote conservative, but was also saying that the pastors should get their pewwarmers "connect the dots", which suggests a bit of care in how explicit they're going to be.

And for them to start crying "Christian persecution", they would have had to have stopped.