From where are scientific hypothesis made?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2013, 12:44 AM
From where are scientific hypothesis made?
Drinking Beverage

How does one come to a conclusion as to what hypothesis to make or not make? Is it influenced by previous ideologies, notions, beliefs, cultural upbringing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2013, 01:48 AM
RE: From where are scientific hypothesis made?
(11-09-2013 12:44 AM)I and I Wrote:  Drinking Beverage

How does one come to a conclusion as to what hypothesis to make or not make? Is it influenced by previous ideologies, notions, beliefs, cultural upbringing?

Usually there is some strand of thought that give a scientist a reason to think their idea might just be right. As an example from quantum mechanics, when I first learned about Schroedinger's equation, the idea that anyone could just pull that out of their arse and say, "hey, this looks like a good equation for this stuff" seemed absurd.

But when I learned a lot more Physics, I was able to get to the point where I could understand how one might postulate this relationship for quantum mechanics. This equation came out of what was then a new hot topic in Physics that explored new ideas about matter and the way in which matter can act like waves, together with some concepts from advanced classical mechanics methods.

Schroedinger came up with an equation that would correctly calculate all the correct wavelengths of light emitted from Hydrogen spectra. It was at this point he thought he had something he could publish. Once published, scientists jumped on testing the equation against other physical phenomena, and found it to be amazingly capable of predicting both known and unknown properties of matter.

So there was influence from the scientific community on developing this equation. Ideas and notions going around the community of Physicists at the time definitely influenced the development of the Schroedinger equation. Popular culture, ideologies, and beliefs didn't really factor into Schroedinger's postulated equation.
11-09-2013, 02:20 AM

Depends on a person's train of thought, their ability to look outside the box. Their ability to know and consider the constraints in play.

Basically a hypothesis is an idea, an attempt to make logical sense of the evidence. A useful hypothesis is one that offers falsifiable criteria. One that is detailed enough to offer up the chance of failure, but also detailed and with enough foresight to predict things that are currently unknown.
Then the work goes in to discovering those predictions or falsifying the hypothesis.
11-09-2013, 11:41 AM
(11-09-2013 01:48 AM)BryanS Wrote:  

Usually there is some strand of thought that give a scientist a reason to think their idea might just be right. As an example from quantum mechanics, when I first learned about Schroedinger's equation, the idea that anyone could just pull that out of their arse and say, "hey, this looks like a good equation for this stuff" seemed absurd.

But when I learned a lot more Physics, I was able to get to the point where I could understand how one might postulate this relationship for quantum mechanics. This equation came out of what was then a new hot topic in Physics that explored new ideas about matter and the way in which matter can act like waves, together with some concepts from advanced classical mechanics methods.

Schroedinger came up with an equation that would correctly calculate all the correct wavelengths of light emitted from Hydrogen spectra. It was at this point he thought he had something he could publish. Once published, scientists jumped on testing the equation against other physical phenomena, and found it to be amazingly capable of predicting both known and unknown properties of matter.

So there was influence from the scientific community on developing this equation. Ideas and notions going around the community of Physicists at the time definitely influenced the development of the Schroedinger equation. Popular culture, ideologies, and beliefs didn't really factor into Schroedinger's postulated equation.

Equations aren't good at all at predicting the outcomes of the behavior of matter in space or on earth let alone matter that influences and is co-influenced by other matter.
But that is a different issue.
11-09-2013, 11:46 AM
(11-09-2013 11:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  Equations aren't good at all at predicting the outcomes of the behavior of matter in space or on earth let alone matter that influences and is co-influenced by other matter.

Well, you just went full retard again.

Got an alternative explanation for this, then, have you?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
11-09-2013, 11:50 AM
(11-09-2013 11:46 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 11:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  Equations aren't good at all at predicting the outcomes of the behavior of matter in space or on earth let alone matter that influences and is co-influenced by other matter.

Well, you just went full retard again.

Got an alternative explanation for this, then, have you?

For a second there I thought that you were providing evidence that equations could predict say...the interaction of gasses in space or interaction of life on earth. Can equations predict markets? (remember the good ole 90's market bubbles?)
11-09-2013, 11:51 AM
If a hypothesis is influenced by culture, time period one lives in, past ideologies etc, then how does a biased hypothesis become a non biased theory or fact. (use whatever definition you want). Rolleyes
11-09-2013, 11:56 AM
(11-09-2013 11:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  For a second there I thought that you were providing evidence that equations could predict say...the interaction of gasses in space or interaction of life on earth. Can equations predict markets? (remember the good ole 90's market bubbles?)

Nice job, as ever, of not addressing the point. The equations derived by modern physics rather comprehensively predict the behaviour of solid state electronic devices.

This includes the one you're using right now.

Of course, I suppose the behaviour of all electronic devices ever could just be a complete coincidence.

Perhaps you (in your own special way) mean to bring up the topic of chaotic systems? Chaos is assuredly a property of some systems. If you think that means nothing can be predicted, you have fundamentally misunderstood several physical concepts.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Re: RE: From where are scientific hypothesis made?
(11-09-2013 11:51 AM)I and I Wrote:  If a hypothesis is influenced by culture, time period one lives in, past ideologies etc, then how does a biased hypothesis become a non biased theory or fact. (use whatever definition you want). Rolleyes

By hypothesis and other layers of the scientific process being examined in reviews from an angle of other biases and attempted non biased angles to see if the data holds up.

And other hypothesis from that concept will arise, start the process over and if the keep converging on a same pattern, that hypothesis may become considered a standing theory.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2013, 11:58 AM
(11-09-2013 11:56 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 11:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  For a second there I thought that you were providing evidence that equations could predict say...the interaction of gasses in space or interaction of life on earth. Can equations predict markets? (remember the good ole 90's market bubbles?)

Nice job, as ever, of not addressing the point. The equations derived by modern physics rather comprehensively predict the behaviour of solid state electronic devices.

This includes the one you're using right now.

Of course, I suppose the behaviour of all electronic devices ever could just be a complete coincidence.

Perhaps you (in your own special way) mean to bring up the topic of chaotic systems? Chaos is assuredly a property of some systems. If you think that means nothing can be predicted, you have fundamentally misunderstood several physical concepts.

you mean mathematics can predict the actions of a toaster? WOW Rolleyes