From where are scientific hypothesis made?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 06:48 AM
RE: From where are scientific hypothesis made?
(27-09-2013 06:36 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  But maybe you think it's not equal.. Since I tonight I saw you make some claim quantum physics is nonsense in another thread.

He claimed it in this thread as well, and categorically failed to address the topical primer I presented.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
27-09-2013, 07:30 AM
No, depending on which field of philosophy, it's not based on reason or logic. In fact philosophers have written books on reason, logic etc. They have written books that deal with the sense certainty problem (observation).

So you agree with what I say about science but contest what I say about science all in the same response. Nice

And how would one conclude that science is incremental?
27-09-2013, 10:37 AM
before we didn't have computers, now we do... INCREMENT!

it's so obvious even you can see the differences I&I, don't insult yourself

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
27-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Re: From where are scientific hypothesis made?
I don't know why I even enter threads by I & I anymore.

I'll use your own example as a demonstration for why your argument is flawed at best and disingenuous at worst.

Guy A takes his ailing grandmother to a witch doctor. He gets the witch doctor's opinion to sprinkle her with holy water each night before bed and she will be cured.

Guy A visits 9 more witch doctors and 6 of the remaining 9 give the same advice, 2 say she is cursed and will certainly die, and the last witch doctor says for her to eat rancid goat meat twice a day plus the holy water.

Now, what is the most logical solution for this person to follow for their poor grandmother (assuming that the witch doctors are the only available source of information in their tribe)? It would appear to be holy water sprinkled on at night.

But that isn't science and that isn't how science works. If one of those witch doctors had said that the Holy water has antibacterial properties from the presence of a fungus that naturally produces antibiotic chemicals and that this holy water would rid his grandmother of the bacteria ailing her and had research showing the Holy water killing off bacteria as part of an experiment to back up both his claim and his explanation, then it could be considered scientific.

Your strawman that science is about scientists getting together and deciding what science is and is not based on a consensus opinion is so far down the lane of logical fallacy that it is equally as absurd the creationist argument that fossils disprove evolution. Scientists don't use anecdotal evidence and testimony to build scientific theory. That requires evidence AND a logical and rational connection between the evidence and the conclusion (this is where the philosophy bit comes in, since a non sequitur or an argument from ignorance wouldn't prove anything).

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-09-2013, 11:55 AM
(27-09-2013 07:30 AM)I and I Wrote:  No, depending on which field of philosophy, it's not based on reason or logic.

Sure. Point being?

(27-09-2013 07:30 AM)I and I Wrote:  In fact philosophers have written books on reason, logic etc. They have written books that deal with the sense certainty problem (observation).

Sure. Point being?

(27-09-2013 07:30 AM)I and I Wrote:  So you agree with what I say about science but contest what I say about science all in the same response. Nice

That's because your "ideas" are kernels of worth hidden behind lunatic caricatures.

You don't seem to be able to go beyond your Philosophy 101 introductory lecture.

Our methods are flawed. Yep. Sure. Granted. My question:
So what?

(27-09-2013 07:30 AM)I and I Wrote:  And how would one conclude that science is incremental?

By knowing even a single thing about it. It's a constant feedback loop. This is further corroborated by how extraordinarily shoddy a characterisation the dualistic "normal" and "paradigm shift" paradigm itself is.

... this is my signature!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb Scientific Videos, Please assist LPMalakye 3 67 19-07-2014 08:03 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Effective Field Theory Made Simple zaybu 2 75 05-06-2014 11:47 PM
Last Post: Airportkid
  Some evolutionary predictions I have made. Metazoa Zeke 10 235 09-05-2014 08:42 PM
Last Post: jaguar3030
  Quantum Field Theory Made Easy zaybu 2 118 30-04-2014 06:41 AM
Last Post: zaybu
Wink TPFT this made me think of you LostandInsecure 22 229 26-04-2014 02:00 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Student-Made Facebook and Twitter pages (As part of a larger project) carasaurus_wres 5 99 23-04-2014 10:43 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Made my brain hurt quiz!! try this one smartypants! Bows and Arrows 75 1,030 14-04-2014 09:00 AM
Last Post: Thorne