From where are scientific hypothesis made?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: From where are scientific hypothesis made?
(11-09-2013 11:58 AM)I and I Wrote:  you mean mathematics can predict the actions of a toaster? WOW Rolleyes

Yes.

Drinking Beverage

Rather falls under your "behaviour of matter on earth" heading, no?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
(11-09-2013 11:51 AM)I and I Wrote:  If a hypothesis is influenced by culture, time period one lives in, past ideologies etc, then how does a biased hypothesis become a non biased theory or fact. (use whatever definition you want). Rolleyes

Being put to test over and over is what makes it "objective". There are hypothesis that make it to the "theory" level and are actually biased, but they're few and eventually they get spotted.

Bias varies among different sciences, is easier to be biased in medicine but not so much in physics.

So yeah, the scientist's background influences her/his work, but that doesn't mean every theory is biased, so don't go there. It only means that we have to be cautious, that's why we have peer reviews and revision of theories all the time.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
11-09-2013, 12:11 PM
A scientific hypothesis is a relative guess scrutinized by particular, currently known laws of physics. A maths equation is often the standard universal language to express it, but not always.

If you are referring to the behavior of gasses or solids for instance, that is one thing; if you are referring to the social behavior of human beings, that is another thing.

You asked, "where are scientific hypothesis made" but, you seem to be asking more about a social or behavioral actions of prediction.

But then... it's anyone's guess what you're on about. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-09-2013, 12:12 PM
" From where are scientific hypothesis made?"

If this is any indication of his general level of education, it's no wonder, what garbage we see posted here under his name.

Idiot Squared. We all know you're special. Very special.
But singular subjects go with singular verbs, in the English language.
Tomorrow, we'll cover plural subjects, and plural verbs.
Stay special.

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Re: RE: From where are scientific hypothesis made?
(11-09-2013 12:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  " From where are scientific hypothesis made?"

If this is any indication of his general level of education, it's no wonder, what garbage we see posted here under his name.

Idiot Squared. We all know you're special. Very special.
But singular subjects go with singular verbs, in the English language.
Tomorrow, we'll cover plural subjects, and plural verbs.
Stay special.

Weeping

He's from Texas... I assume he therefore went to school there so its an extra sad case, we also know what types are responsible for that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-09-2013, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 01:18 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(11-09-2013 11:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  Equations aren't good at all at predicting the outcomes of the behavior of matter in space or on earth let alone matter that influences and is co-influenced by other matter.
But that is a different issue.

Whoa!!! What the fuck?! Did you really just say that?!Hobo

Pack it in scientist...this guy says equations can't predict things so lets just give up, because some random guy said something.

Hey wait a minute, I have a prediction using equations.
My prediction or hypothesis is if I have one apple, and add another apple to that first one, the end result will be two apples. If I use the number one to represent how many apples when there is only one, and the number 2 to represent the number of apples I have when there are two apples, then I might write that equation thusly: 1+1=r. The first “1” representing the first one apple, and the second “1” representing the second one apple. “r” is the unknown variable.

I'm betting, based on my prediction, that the variable “r” will equal 2, or two apples. So I should be able to write that equation like this: 1+1=2. That's my hypothesis anyway. I wonder if there is any way I can test this hypothesis out in the real world or in space to see if it's true.

…equations can’t make predictions about the real world? You’re a fucking idiot…that’s all equations do is make acurate predictions about the real world…

[+] 5 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
11-09-2013, 01:15 PM
(11-09-2013 01:13 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Whoa!!! What the fuck?! Did you really just say that?!Hobo

Pack it in scientist...this guys says equations can't predict things so lets just give up, because some random guy said something.

Hey wait a minute, I have a prediction using equations.
My prediction or hypothesis is if I have one apple, and add another apple to that first one, the end result will be two apples. If I use the number one to represent how many apples when there is only one, and the number 2 to represent the number of apples I have when there are two apples, then I might write that equation thusly: 1+1=r. The first “1” representing the first one apple, and the second “1” representing the second one apple. “r” is the unknown variable.

I'm betting, based on my prediction, that the variable “r” will equal 2, or two apples. So I should be able to write that equation like this: 1+1=2. That's my hypothesis anyway. I wonder if there is any way I can test this hypothesis out in the real world or in space to see if it's true.

…equations can’t make predictions about the real world? You’re a fucking idiot…that’s all equations do is make acurate predictions about the real world…

No, because toasters.

Or something. I really didn't follow the reasoning behind that one. "Reasoning". As it were.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
11-09-2013, 01:17 PM
(11-09-2013 11:41 AM)I and I Wrote:  Equations aren't good at all at predicting the outcomes of the behavior of matter in space or on earth let alone matter that influences and is co-influenced by other matter.

By the way, I'd be careful not to repeat that comment around a kindergartener. You might embarass yourself.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
11-09-2013, 08:40 PM
(11-09-2013 01:17 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

By the way, I'd be careful not to repeat that comment around a kindergartener. You might embarass yourself.

You mean you guys believe that it's possible for an equation to predict (correctly) the outcome of the human or any other species?

Example please.
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM

DERP!!!

Others have pointed out the foolishness of this statement. You should just acknowledge how incredibly stupid your claim was, or at least back down from it. But true to form, you can't resist further beclowning yourself.