Frustrated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Frustrated
So my daughters school is hosting an awesome humanitarian trip to Africa. I think the experience would be awesome for a 15 year old, and I'd love to send her. Thing is, the trip costs $5000 and there is no fundraising through the school. I am cool with having to fundraiser outside the school, since it's not an opportunity everyone can take advantage of.

But here's where I get frustrated. My daughter has two friends that also plan to go. In just two weeks, both girls trips were paid for, since the church decided that they'd pay as long as the girls did a presentation afterwards. So the church is gonna take credit for sending these girls, while my kid has to go get an extra job, and no recognition for it. There's just no competing with the church, since ten grand is really just peanuts for a mega church.

I just can't afford to send my kid. But it feels like kissing the churches ass gets you a free ride. I want an atheist church, so I can ask MY community to shell out five G's. Fuckin bullshit.

Sorry. Rant done.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
RE: Frustrated
Considering the nature of Africa (especially in places where humanitarian help is needed) and the things that happen to beautiful young 15-year-old girls there...

...well, I'd say it's probably best that you're unable to pay for it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 04:45 PM
The folks with the money make the rules, that's life. Take the money, or don't. It may be a good experience for your daughter, but IMO humanitarian trips usually a waste. If you want to help, the best way is to just send cash, assuming your daughter isn't a female Doogie Howser there to do surgery that can't do themselves.

[Image: Doogie_Howser_MD_290x400.jpg]

11-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah man I hear you.

It almost makes me feel like it would be nice to have the same sort of thing for atheists. It wouldn't work for us the same way though. we need communities within our community. Our atheism isn't enough of a unifying factor most of the time. But it would be nice if we had each others backs a little bit.

I have zero money, but I bet if you made a donation account somewhere some rich person within our community might be able to help.

For all those people saying it might be a waste of time anyways, pfft. Pfft I say. I would have killed to travel as a teenager, to see somewhere else and get a little bit more of a perspective. The humanitarian part might be bollicks but the potential for learning is huge.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
11-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I learned a lot by traveling to Guatemala as a teenager.

I learned that it's ok to literally shit on the side of the road; it's not illegal for a cabbie to drive after 13 beers, and, most enlightening, that you can be taken into custody by the police - simply for being an american - and held for an unreasonable and unjustified bail that goes directly into the pockets of the officers.

That's just Guatemala, though. I can't imagine the "perspective" one could gain in a country torn apart by civil war and AIDS.

11-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Whether or not she goes, she's not only got recognition from me, but props and respect. It's a learning curve either way.

[Image: Discipline-340x340.jpg]
[Image: Patience-340x340.jpg]
[Image: Respect-340x340.jpg]

I could find one for props or recognition, but the other two are definitely a part of the deal.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
11-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Uh durr I dunno, maybe perspective as in the difference in quality of life herr derr. If you spend your time looking at the negatives in life that's all you'll see and your life is wasted.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
(11-10-2012 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  But here's where I get frustrated. My daughter has two friends that also plan to go. In just two weeks, both girls trips were paid for, since the church decided that they'd pay as long as the girls did a presentation afterwards.

Buying delusional metaphysical loyalty is just another example of why religion is intrinsically unethical and insidious.

(11-10-2012 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I just can't afford to send my kid. But it feels like kissing the churches ass gets you a free ride. I want an atheist church, so I can ask MY community to shell out five G's. Fuckin bullshit.

Start your own online fundraiser and get Seth's permission to promote it here. Hell Girly gave a couple of hundred bucks to TheFirstImmortal over at imminst.org a few years ago now to cryogenically freeze his sorry ass after he got some nasty cancer even though I knew the only reason it wasn't a waste of money is that it gave him some temporary delusional sense of hope, not that he'd ever rise from the dead. This is YOUR community.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
(11-10-2012 05:43 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Uh durr I dunno, maybe perspective as in the difference in quality of life herr derr. If you spend your time looking at the negatives in life that's all you'll see and your life is wasted.

Well that's simple; the quality of life in 3rd world countries sucks.

On a positive note, though, they've got nice trees. Shy I like trees.

There's a difference between "focusing on the negative" and being realistic. A small difference, mind you, but a difference none the less. Personally, the prospect of being gang-raped by a gang of rebel soldiers before having my head hacked off with a machete outweighs the potential for positive learning.

But, that's me.

11-10-2012, 06:12 PM
(11-10-2012 05:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  But here's where I get frustrated. My daughter has two friends that also plan to go. In just two weeks, both girls trips were paid for, since the church decided that they'd pay as long as the girls did a presentation afterwards.

Buying delusional metaphysical loyalty is just another example of why religion is intrinsically unethical and insidious.

(11-10-2012 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I just can't afford to send my kid. But it feels like kissing the churches ass gets you a free ride. I want an atheist church, so I can ask MY community to shell out five G's. Fuckin bullshit.

Start your own online fundraiser and get Seth's permission to promote it here. Hell Girly gave a couple of hundred bucks to TheFirstImmortal over at imminst.org a few years ago now to cryogenically freeze his sorry ass after he got some nasty cancer even though I knew the only reason it wasn't a waste of money is that it gave him some temporary delusional sense of hope, not that he'd ever rise from the dead. This is YOUR community.

Agreed! I'd be happy to donate to someone in this community, that's what community is for.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post