Frustrated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Frustrated
So, I'm currently reading the book The Slave Across the Street by Theresa Flores. The book is an autobiography about the horrors she went through when she was 16 and blackmailed to be a sex slave in the early 1980s.

I might have to go back and reread parts but it seems her timeline is off...But whatever -- That's not even the issue.

The issue is when she finishes telling her story, when she finally got away and began to feel safe, she writes about how she was briefly angry with god for allowing it all to happen, but then realizes that god spoke to her and told her he ('he' being capitalized of course) was with her all the time. God protected her from getting pregnant, and getting STD's tho, it seems god doesn't mind genital herpes because she did get that.

Had I been reading a real book I might have thrown it across the room at that point, but since I was using my iPad, that hardly seemed like a good thing.

It's real shame the writer had to go there. God chose to her suffer for 2 years, so she could tell her story about something he shouldn't have allowed in the first place?

He protected her from getting knocked up, or NEEDING the attention of a MEDICAL doctor, yanno someone who might have had to EXAMINE her and might have discovered what was going on?????

Or he protected her by not adding additional stress to her life by her not needing to seek medical help and the humiliation she might have suffered had her parents and siblings found out??? Because why? They might have interfered with his grand plan that this young girl should suffer for the greater good?

I don't understand it....Do the christian types give any thought at all of how completely arrogant they sound when they spew shit like that??

Where was god when her kinda friend "Janey" replaces her?

What's really frustrating to me, the book to that point was an excellent read about how that type of abuse doesn't mean a kid locked away in a basement...

It highlighted that sexual abuse can still happen when you have a good family....Upper middle class even.....

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2013, 07:08 AM
RE: Frustrated
God needs to be thanked. You need to be grateful for every scrap that comes your way. If there aren't any scraps, you need to be grateful for being alive.

You are a sinful, decrepit lowly mess of a human and only because of god's taking pity on you are you even alive.

The more you thank god, the more likely he is to throw you a scrap.

It is soo pathetic!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-10-2013, 07:19 AM
(16-10-2013 07:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  God needs to be thanked. You need to be grateful for every scrap that comes your way. If there aren't any scraps, you need to be grateful for being alive.

You are a sinful, decrepit lowly mess of a human and only because of god's taking pity on you are you even alive.

It is soo pathetic!

I know....

The totally frustrating part is that only amounted to a couple paragraphs...

There's no mention of god while she's recounting all the crap in some detail of what happened to her....

In the beginning she starts off talking about how she was raised catholic...

Ok...lots of people are....

It's sad. I can certainly overlook a lot...but I just can't overlook that kind of crap.

16-10-2013, 10:38 AM
(16-10-2013 07:19 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 07:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  God needs to be thanked. You need to be grateful for every scrap that comes your way. If there aren't any scraps, you need to be grateful for being alive.

It is soo pathetic!

I know....

The totally frustrating part is that only amounted to a couple paragraphs...

There's no mention of god while she's recounting all the crap in some detail of what happened to her....

In the beginning she starts off talking about how she was raised catholic...

Ok...lots of people are....

It's sad. I can certainly overlook a lot...but I just can't overlook that kind of crap.

I know, it's such a let-down when you are getting interested in listening to someone and all of a sudden the god delusion ruins the whole thing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-10-2013, 11:57 AM
When rational, critical thinking is tossed aside to begin with, the setup to be a victim is in place... one certainly must thank god for that. Angel

If god is the answer from an early age, without critical thinking skills, one could very well become a lifelong victim of ... anything ... including one's own best intentions and/or desires. Logic, reason, and critical thinking may have helped this person avoid those two years completely. Instead, she participated in her own victimization. Oh, it's not her fault - she simply followed through with what she was given... her only tool was god. (an invisible thing that doesn't exist)

Anyone who says they love god is participating in the commitment to keep up the notion of his strength rather than one's own; his ability to "resist temptation" rather than one's own; his ability to discern right from wrong rather than one's own. The shift of responsibility from the self to this invisible thing is easy and even acceptable; no thought necessary. This to me, is the most horrific thing about the entire situation and many others like it. It gives up one's own will to live, to another being outside one's self.

The only way this poor woman is able to process this trauma is to dig her mind deeper into acceptance of something that does not exist. Oh, it may exist for her... in fact, she has now become living proof of this invisible one's existence precisely because she survived this ordeal and has decided this invisible one let her survive.

She has become completely nothing - even to herself. Thanks again for the psychological brutality, invisible thing; nobody does it better. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
28-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Ugh, geez. I have the same thought whenever I watch Investigation Discovery (which is actually kind of a lot in my house) and some poor victim is sitting there thanking god for surviving their horrible ordeal.

One was a woman who went on a date with a guy, who then did a bunch of coke, accused her of (of all things) putting battery acid in his food, and then attacked her with a goddamn MEAT CLEAVER hacking away at her for what appeared to be over an hour before she fled. She thanked GOD FOR SURVIVING.

Another recent one was a girl kept as a sex slave in an underground room in a wooded area who thanked god for allowing her to escape--when it clearly wasn't any god, unless there is a deity specific to dealing with gullible rapists and cellular signals--because she asked to "play games" on his cell phone and then found a signal and texted help to her mother.

I don't understand this mentality myself. "God was really looking out for me that day." No, no he most certainly was not. He sat there and watched a coked-up psychopath nearly chop your arm off with a meat cleaver. God's love, apparently, tends to include rape and lengthy hospital stays for reconstructive surgery.

One of these days, I'm quite certain, I'm going to facepalm my brain through the back of my head. I sure hope god can put it back in there.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
28-10-2013, 02:44 PM
(28-10-2013 02:16 PM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  One of these days, I'm quite certain, I'm going to facepalm my brain through the back of my head. I sure hope god can put it back in there.

that's an image.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post