Frustrated beyond belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Frustrated beyond belief
Im currently reading the bible, cover to cover, and highlighting everything that either makes no sense or is just horrible (I'm going through highlighters like crazy). Anyway, I just posted about the passage discussed in the recent "Bloody Bible" podcast about calling for the death of homosexuals. Here is a status posted by a friend of mine afterwards:

"F*** you! Reading the Bible just to find ammunition against the religion is disgraceful. How f***ing dare you be that audacious. Even if you don't believe it, it preaches a life of love, kindness, hope, and forgiveness. I'm finding it hard to be the kind of man it tells me I should be with people like you around."

Here's the thing. This is a good friend of mine, so I don't want to stir the pot too much, but it's obvious he knows little to nothing about this book if he thinks it teaches a life of love, etc, but the BEST part was when he said he's having a hard time being the man it tells him to be. Well, no shit, he's having a hard time, since he's GAY. Anyone have experience dealing with this mindset?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 07:40 PM
RE: Frustrated beyond belief
I don't know what to say.

That's just .... classic!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-11-2012, 06:11 AM
I never cease to be amazed how people can live their lives combining totally contradictory stances towards life in their heads without some alarm going off.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
06-11-2012, 06:31 AM
(06-11-2012 06:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  I never cease to be amazed how people can live their lives combining totally contradictory stances towards life in their heads without some alarm going off.

Well, some claim that being able to hold too contradictory thoughts at the same time is a sign of true intelligence, so maybe all those guys are actually geniuses and we're the dumb ones...

Hmm, it doesn't say anything about reconciling those thoughts though Consider
BTW, TJWolfhawk, if a friend of mine told me what your friend told you, I'd drop them like a hot potato. But I'm a bitch that way.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-11-2012, 06:35 AM
You may not want to "stir the pot" with him, but he seems perfectly content to do it with YOU. For this reason, I say fuck this sense of "friendship" that you believe you have. It's obviously one-sided to some extent. Reason is more important than the shaky framework of an inter-personal relationship such as this.

Let's not forget his choice of words: "...with people like you around."

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
06-11-2012, 07:36 AM
(05-11-2012 07:27 PM)TJWolfhawk Wrote:  since he's GAY.

Quiet. You'll make a hurricane.

Recurring theme around here, gayness. You know how I know evolution is true? Because when I'm frustrated beyond belief, I drop my hand to my lap, and lo and behold! A distraction! Shiny!
But no religion teaches one to turn away from god to bust a nut, well, Gwynnite. Tongue

You don't hafta read the Bible, just Job 38. Cannot be ready to answer god without first having questioned the environment. Gay is a question of the environment. They ain't answering it, they keep coming up with hell.

Or just beat 'em over the head with it until subdued.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I just wish I could convince him to see just how backward his beliefs are. He's a good guy, and I don't hate him or anything. I just think he doesn't realize what a hypocrite he's being. If I were posting against the Koran, he'd have nothing to say, but because it's the holy book HE cherry picks from, it's wrong.
06-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Tell your friend the respect you have for him and remind him that truth should never be afraid of inquiry. Explain that you cannot accept a blind faith philosophy. Ask if he's ever seen the movie 'V For Vendetta'? That would be a good point of discussion based on what you've described.
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
He's gay?

Well then, I say your whole town should take this homosexual to the edge of town and stone him to death.

Wait, er, is that the punishment for homosexuals or disobedient children? Bah, I'm sure it doesn't matter - I bet his parents told him not to be gay, so it's win-with either way. You'll be doing him a favor: He'll find it much easier to be the kind of crushed bloody corpse the bible wants him to be.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
06-11-2012, 02:14 PM
(06-11-2012 06:35 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  You may not want to "stir the pot" with him, but he seems perfectly content to do it with YOU. For this reason, I say fuck this sense of "friendship" that you believe you have. It's obviously one-sided to some extent. Reason is more important than the shaky framework of an inter-personal relationship such as this.

Let's not forget his choice of words: "...with people like you around."
This. Anytime my "friends" have started a post/email/text/phone call with the words "fuck you" and were not joking, I reevaluate my friendship with that person. But maybe it's just me...

It's crap anyway. If Christians can cherry pick the parts they like, the rest of us should be able to mention the parts they we don't agree with (after all, these might be part of the reason some of us are not Christian).