Frustrated beyond belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: Frustrated beyond belief
He strikes again. I posted today, poking fun at the Jehovah's I got at my door today. The response:
"Y'know...I won't unfriend you, but I will hide your constant belittling hatred you spew constantly. I'm tired of you back peddling anytime someone calls you out. You are an ignorant, close-minded, disrespectful person. You don't have to agree with someone's views to have the decency to let them believe whatever they want without being mocked. I believe in an invisible entity. I believe in 2 actually. Mock me. No? Then not only are you disrespectful, but you're a hypocrit and a coward."

So I respond with:
"I love how, if I mock Muslims for looking up to a man who married a 9 year old girl, or scientologists for believing alien spirits infect all of humanity, nothing gets said (as evidenced by nothing being said against my mockery of the Mormon faith), but the moment it threatens the belief system held by the person reading it, suddenly I am hateful and bigoted. And I didn't challenge their beliefs when they spoke to me. I took their little pamphlet, shook their hand, let them speak, then talked about it here. Last I checked, I never said people shouldn't believe in whatever they want. I also am unaware of the contract that makes it so I have to respect the beliefs. I have to respect their RIGHT to hold those beliefs, but I am not required to say "that makes perfect sense" when it doesn't."

He is still playing victim, saying I need to respect people's beliefs and not mock the absurd.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TJWolfhawk's post
07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Just another 'I believe only the socially acceptable parts of the Bible' Christian. Seriously though, you are friends with him because...?

Also, which 2 invisible entities does he believe in? I'm not aware of any Christian-esque faith that has two.
07-11-2012, 07:28 PM
(07-11-2012 05:44 PM)TJWolfhawk Wrote:  He strikes again. I posted today, poking fun at the Jehovah's I got at my door today. The response:
"Y'know...I won't unfriend you, but I will hide your constant belittling hatred you spew constantly. I'm tired of you back peddling anytime someone calls you out. You are an ignorant, close-minded, disrespectful person. You don't have to agree with someone's views to have the decency to let them believe whatever they want without being mocked. I believe in an invisible entity. I believe in 2 actually. Mock me. No? Then not only are you disrespectful, but you're a hypocrit and a coward."

So I respond with:
"I love how, if I mock Muslims for looking up to a man who married a 9 year old girl, or scientologists for believing alien spirits infect all of humanity, nothing gets said (as evidenced by nothing being said against my mockery of the Mormon faith), but the moment it threatens the belief system held by the person reading it, suddenly I am hateful and bigoted. And I didn't challenge their beliefs when they spoke to me. I took their little pamphlet, shook their hand, let them speak, then talked about it here. Last I checked, I never said people shouldn't believe in whatever they want. I also am unaware of the contract that makes it so I have to respect the beliefs. I have to respect their RIGHT to hold those beliefs, but I am not required to say "that makes perfect sense" when it doesn't."

He is still playing victim, saying I need to respect people's beliefs and not mock the absurd.
Your friend makes the one I distanced myself from look like a saint. o.o Hug

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm friends with him because other than his hypocritical stance on the privilege of religion being above mockery, he's a funny guy that I genuinely have fun being around. Most of the time.

As for the two entities, since Satan is invisible, too, my guess would be him.
10-11-2012, 01:53 AM
I see..

Yeah, I've gotten that quite a few times. If these people don't want their beliefs mocked, they need to get beliefs less worthy of mockery. If you belief shit that makes no sense, people are gonna call you out on it sometimes.

I hate hate hate this idea that religious beliefs are automatically above mockery, and if you do so, you're the most horrible kind of asshole. Additionally, many people cannot differentiate between mocking the belief and mocking the person with the belief.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I removed him from my friends list. I found out this is not the first time he's done this kind of thing. He is apparently of the opinion that those who don't believe have no right to read the bible at all, nor do they have the right to speak on other people's beliefs. I've decided this guy just isn't worth my time.
[+] 4 users Like TJWolfhawk's post
10-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I had to do that with some people, too. It's not always easy, but you'll make new FB friends who don't tell you off for no good reason.
10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
(10-11-2012 02:56 PM)amyb Wrote:  I had to do that with some people, too. It's not always easy, but you'll make new FB friends who don't tell you off for no good reason.
Yup, my FB friends only tell me off for a good reason. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-11-2012, 01:34 PM
(05-11-2012 07:27 PM)TJWolfhawk Wrote:  Im currently reading the bible, cover to cover, and highlighting everything that either makes no sense or is just horrible (I'm going through highlighters like crazy). Anyway, I just posted about the passage discussed in the recent "Bloody Bible" podcast about calling for the death of homosexuals. Here is a status posted by a friend of mine afterwards:

"F*** you! Reading the Bible just to find ammunition against the religion is disgraceful. How f***ing dare you be that audacious. Even if you don't believe it, it preaches a life of love, kindness, hope, and forgiveness. I'm finding it hard to be the kind of man it tells me I should be with people like you around."

Here's the thing. This is a good friend of mine, so I don't want to stir the pot too much, but it's obvious he knows little to nothing about this book if he thinks it teaches a life of love, etc, but the BEST part was when he said he's having a hard time being the man it tells him to be. Well, no shit, he's having a hard time, since he's GAY. Anyone have experience dealing with this mindset?
Your the one that doesnt want to stir the pot, seems the fuck yous are coming from him, but if you dont wanna upset him then get on board with his beliefs, tell him he's right and that you should respect his views, tell him hes an abomination in the sight of the lord then show him some of gods love, kindness, hope, and forgiveness, by bludeoning him to death with rocks.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.