Frustrated with my surroundings. (Rant)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Frustrated with my surroundings. (Rant)
I am quite frankly frustrated with my environment currently, and I want to share it with you guys, in hope to alleviate stress by reaching out to someone, while at the same time, hoping to have advice, or make a friend on here.

First, I would claim myself as a moderate or a liberal, I am definitely in no shape or form a supporter of Donald Trump, The Republican party, or politicians in general, to be honest. I live with my grandmother and father, and my father's highest education is high school, so both of them are absorbed into Fox News, and believe everything they say as true. It really bothers me, and they tell me all the time, how people like Bill Maher are bad, and others like O'Reilly are honest, true, and smart. They are biased and I hate to say, even ignorant. This being said-- I know Bill Maher might have some form of biases, and might be wrong on some positions, but objectively speaking I think he advocates way more for humanity-- in terms of science, opposition of religion, and supporting social movements. Anyways, my whole family is like this, and it drives me nuts. I am the only one who fails to agree with them, and instead of arguing with them, I simply just accept it, and not bring it up now.

This was my first problem I am having in my life, accepting people's dogmatic and bias view's as okay, even when I think they are nonsensical and should be ashamed of themselves for holding such views (*I also forgot to mention my family is religious in Christianity, this is what I am referring to here).

I guess my next topic brings up the point of dating. I am 21 years old, so obviously I want to talk to some girls, and hopefully date one eventually. But I am finding myself on the fringes of society from holding my views of Atheism, and being such a skeptic, that if someone I am talking to doesn't hold almost the same views as me, I am instantly turned off, or no interested. Note: I know this might be a dogmatic view of mine, that I might have to accept that people will not have my frame of reference, and I must live with this notion. And even more so, after hanging out with girls and dating a few, I have started to think that this whole idea of "love" is purely a fictitious concept. I am starting to believe it is just a biological function in our body, in order for us to mate and produce offspring. With this view I hold, I start to think a lot about how I should manage my time, and I put off meeting with girls or talking to them for this reason-- that it will be just a waste of time for me. How else would you argue the data of how many users were on the Ashley Madison website, where their motto is "Life is too short, have an affair"-- if I am correct, it was about 30 million registered users.

This brings me to my next point: managing my time. I use to play video games a lot, watch movies, and just go out on adventures. But ever since, I started reading a lot, attending classes in college that made me become more of a critical thinker and skeptic person, I am seeing many activities like video games, sports, movies, and much more just forms of escapism. It becomes to a point, where all I am interested in is learning, reading, and watching lectures and clips of advocates for science and atheism. Again, this might be another dogmatic view of mine: That life is just meant to gain knowledge.

So to recap, my whole family, in my opinion are what I would claim as "cave dwellers" (reference to Allegory of the Cave), my friends do not hold the same activities I share, so I do not have much friends anymore, my dating life is nonexistent currently due to different belief systems, and I spend all of my time reading and studying, which makes me antisocial, and sometimes gets me depressed.

I do not know where this rant was going, I was brainstorming things I was frustrated with in my life. I mean, I guess my life is not that bad, I live in a nice, clean, safe city with clean water, food, and the ability to receive a sound education nearby. Comparing myself to the rest of the 7 billion people on this planet, I would say I am in pretty good shape; however, I still made this post just to rant on my life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shane951's post
20-03-2017, 12:25 AM
RE: Frustrated with my surroundings. (Rant)
Take an art course. Dodgy

You'll meet people and it won't mean anything. But you will gain knowledge and, best of all, greater understanding.

You might find out things about yourself - maybe you have good hand-eye coordination or, maybe you suck at it. You don't know until you try.

Unless you are already one of those freaks - if so, forget everything afore mentioned and sign up for some kind of sport. Something with a ball - maybe bowling - your stereotypical dad might even be stereotypically cool with that.

Do something different, something challenging. Shift your gears. Your shit has become predictable and deep down, it feels as if everything is closing in on you. Ok, maybe slightly less dramatic. The point is, you need to force yourself out of your element.

In any case, you can certainly hang out here and keep us updated - let us know what you decide to do.

Best of luck & have fun with it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-03-2017, 01:28 AM
(19-03-2017 11:09 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  I am quite frankly frustrated with my environment currently, and I want to share it with you guys, in hope to alleviate stress by reaching out to someone, while at the same time, hoping to have advice, or make a friend on here.

First, I would claim myself as a moderate or a liberal, I am definitely in no shape or form a supporter of Donald Trump, The Republican party, or politicians in general, to be honest. I live with my grandmother and father, and my father's highest education is high school, so both of them are absorbed into Fox News, and believe everything they say as true. It really bothers me, and they tell me all the time, how people like Bill Maher are bad, and others like O'Reilly are honest, true, and smart. They are biased and I hate to say, even ignorant. This being said-- I know Bill Maher might have some form of biases, and might be wrong on some positions, but objectively speaking I think he advocates way more for humanity-- in terms of science, opposition of religion, and supporting social movements. Anyways, my whole family is like this, and it drives me nuts. I am the only one who fails to agree with them, and instead of arguing with them, I simply just accept it, and not bring it up now.

This was my first problem I am having in my life, accepting people's dogmatic and bias view's as okay, even when I think they are nonsensical and should be ashamed of themselves for holding such views (*I also forgot to mention my family is religious in Christianity, this is what I am referring to here).

I guess my next topic brings up the point of dating. I am 21 years old, so obviously I want to talk to some girls, and hopefully date one eventually. But I am finding myself on the fringes of society from holding my views of Atheism, and being such a skeptic, that if someone I am talking to doesn't hold almost the same views as me, I am instantly turned off, or no interested. Note: I know this might be a dogmatic view of mine, that I might have to accept that people will not have my frame of reference, and I must live with this notion. And even more so, after hanging out with girls and dating a few, I have started to think that this whole idea of "love" is purely a fictitious concept. I am starting to believe it is just a biological function in our body, in order for us to mate and produce offspring. With this view I hold, I start to think a lot about how I should manage my time, and I put off meeting with girls or talking to them for this reason-- that it will be just a waste of time for me. How else would you argue the data of how many users were on the Ashley Madison website, where their motto is "Life is too short, have an affair"-- if I am correct, it was about 30 million registered users.

This brings me to my next point: managing my time. I use to play video games a lot, watch movies, and just go out on adventures. But ever since, I started reading a lot, attending classes in college that made me become more of a critical thinker and skeptic person, I am seeing many activities like video games, sports, movies, and much more just forms of escapism. It becomes to a point, where all I am interested in is learning, reading, and watching lectures and clips of advocates for science and atheism. Again, this might be another dogmatic view of mine: That life is just meant to gain knowledge.

So to recap, my whole family, in my opinion are what I would claim as "cave dwellers" (reference to Allegory of the Cave), my friends do not hold the same activities I share, so I do not have much friends anymore, my dating life is nonexistent currently due to different belief systems, and I spend all of my time reading and studying, which makes me antisocial, and sometimes gets me depressed.

I do not know where this rant was going, I was brainstorming things I was frustrated with in my life. I mean, I guess my life is not that bad, I live in a nice, clean, safe city with clean water, food, and the ability to receive a sound education nearby. Comparing myself to the rest of the 7 billion people on this planet, I would say I am in pretty good shape; however, I still made this post just to rant on my life.

Language is one of the most rich arts of all, in my overly unhumble opinion Angel

When I was little I loved to read, I desperately wanted to be a writer. Then found I have a thoroughly mundane imagination and all my stories quite objectively sucked (lol). That said, I think that writing is a wonderful way to express oneself. It helps develop your thinking process, its an incredibly healthy activity. The more you write the more structured your thoughts are (and visa versa), a funny little paradox it is. I think that writing is a wonderful hobby for you to adopt, and I would love to encourage you to share your thoughts here. I would also encourage you to keep reading Smile

I certainly can sympathize with your struggles. I think you'll be in good company here. I suspect many of us have similar stories we could share.

Welcome! Thumbsup

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
20-03-2017, 01:37 AM
(19-03-2017 11:09 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  I am quite frankly frustrated with my environment currently, and I want to share it with you guys, in hope to alleviate stress by reaching out to someone, while at the same time, hoping to have advice, or make a friend on here.

> Your economic situation might improve after you finish school and settle down with a new job. I suggest that, when you can afford it, you should join a major atheist organization and begin attending annual conventions. You'll meet lots of new atheists and freethinkers. Plenty of single women attend these events. Wink
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
20-03-2017, 01:40 AM
(20-03-2017 01:37 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  

> Your economic situation might improve after you finish school and settle down with a new job. I suggest that, when you can afford it, you should join a major atheist organization and begin attending annual conventions. You'll meet lots of new atheists and freethinkers. Plenty of single women attend these events. Wink

I want to come too! I'd love to meet some single women! And I'd love to be more active about Atheism, dare I say maybe even an activist.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
20-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Maybe there's a local athiest group you can join? Don't despair. There are people out there who aren't brainwashed and can use reason and logic. People you can have an open, intelligent conversation with. They are a little harder to find, but they are out there.
[+] 2 users Like sydarthur7's post
20-03-2017, 04:10 AM
(19-03-2017 11:09 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  So to recap, my whole family, in my opinion are what I would claim as "cave dwellers" (reference to Allegory of the Cave), my friends do not hold the same activities I share, so I do not have much friends anymore, my dating life is nonexistent currently due to different belief systems, and I spend all of my time reading and studying, which makes me antisocial, and sometimes gets me depressed.

Other than your sometimes depression about it, this sounds like a great life to me. Had I been satisfied with such a life when I was your age myself, I could have avoided my whole first marriage -- which was a disaster. So my advice is take your time and relax. Enjoy this part of your life while you can.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post