Frustrated with the God debate

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
29-04-2012, 01:56 PM

RE: Frustrated with the God debate
(29-04-2012 06:09 AM)free2011 Wrote:  Often when I listen to debates I am frustrated when the non-theist resorts to asking, "Well if there is a God then why . . . " Fill in with anything from why do innocent people suffer to why doesn't your god reveal himself in modern times. The theist will always have an answer to these questions so we end up in this endless circle of "oh yea, then why . . .?"

Shouldn't our focus simply be on "Prove it"? When I have these discussions I generally cut to the chase by saying without referring to an ancient text written thousands of years ago and edited ever since where is your proof? I have modern testable scientific evidence for evolution and the big bang so where is your proof of creation without your ancient book written by the same people that thought epileptics were possessed and the earth was flat? If you need surgery would you choose the same methods they used 2,000 years ago or a doctor with knowledge gathered since then about how the body works? Of course you would choose the modern methods that have been scientifically proven to work even though the people that wrote about your God thought bloodletting was a great idea.

Shouldn't this put an end to any debate?

You can't prove prima facie evidence. If I point to a truck and say "This is a truck." and you say "Prove it." the fault is yours. If I say the big bang proves the existence of God, and you say "prove it" that's ridiculous, because the big bang is the proof.

But that's all beside the point. The point is, you're talking about God and you haven't even defined what God is, so there can't be any debate, and there can't be any proof. When you have enough...oh what's the word... ...sack... to define God, then there can be a debate, until you make a definition you're just shouting into the ring from the audience.
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2012, 02:19 PM
(29-04-2012 01:56 PM)Egor Wrote:  But that's all beside the point. The point is, you're talking about God and you haven't even defined what God is, so there can't be any debate, and there can't be any proof. When you have enough...oh what's the word... ...sack... to define God, then there can be a debate, until you make a definition you're just shouting into the ring from the audience.

There are hundreds of definition and hundreds of gods.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
01-05-2012, 02:39 AM
(29-04-2012 01:31 PM)Logisch Wrote:  The better question, rather than trying to prove a god doesn't exist is to ask them what they think a god is? How do they know? How can they demonstrate it? Through what credible source do they have a reputable definition?

So far as I know…. only one teacher claims he is the way, the truth and the life.

All other teachers have a “disclaimer” on their opinion or philosophy : )
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2012, 03:01 AM
I am interested to hear what you all think of the following idea.

The existence of the Christian god ultimately always boils down to the truth and validity of the bible (with the possible exception of the Mormons). The only tangible, discussable Christian god has to be based on one of, or a mixture of, the stories of god in the bible.

So, if we can debunk the god of the bible, we have done an "inside job" on him.

That is what I, at least, have tried to do.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user