Frustrated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 06:14 PM
RE: Frustrated
Misanthropik, you are making the assumption that the trip is to some war torn hell hole based on nothing more than the word Africa.
It's a big continent not all of it is a war torn pit of rape and aids.

So no. You aren't being a realistic. you are just spouting ignorance of something you know nothing about.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
(11-10-2012 06:14 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Misanthropik, you are making the assumption that the trip is to some war torn hell hole based on nothing more than the word Africa.
It's a big continent not all of it is a war torn pit of rape and aids.

So no. You aren't being a realistic. you are just spouting ignorance of something you know nothing about.

Actually, it was the word "humanitarian" that got my attention, in conjunction with the word Africa.

Generally, places that require humanitarian assistance are worse off than more "civilized" places. Thus, it is a justified presumption, not an assumption.

Might I ask why it's getting you so worked up? My sentiments, I mean.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
11-10-2012, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 06:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-10-2012 06:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 05:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Buying delusional metaphysical loyalty is just another example of why religion is intrinsically unethical and insidious.

Start your own online fundraiser and get Seth's permission to promote it here. Hell Girly gave a couple of hundred bucks to TheFirstImmortal over at imminst.org a few years ago now to cryogenically freeze his sorry ass after he got some nasty cancer even though I knew the only reason it wasn't a waste of money is that it gave him some temporary delusional sense of hope, not that he'd ever rise from the dead. This is YOUR community.

Agreed! I'd be happy to donate to someone in this community, that's what community is for.

And while I would enjoy and appreciate a debrief from your daughter, I sure as shit wouldn't require it like some fuckin' religion would. It'd be like me waiting on TheFirstImmortal's debriefing. ... It just ain't fucking coming. ... To the credit of TheFirstImmortal's father and Alcor the cryonics provider, they did provide us with their debriefs. The father didn't know why his son was so obsessed with living forever but he appreciated us helping to ease his son's exit (dad would fit in here quite well). Alcor's debrief was a description of the procedures and observations for TheFirstImmortal's cryonic preservation and reinforced my opinion that it is just silly to pay for this at this stage of our technology. Don't mean I don't think we can't do this with more advanced technology. ... I think I can still dig up Alcor's report if anyone's interested, but this is clearly a topic for a different thread and this is one of the few threads I'd feel guilty about derailing. So split this post off now so we can get back to the business of getting your daughter to Africa. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
11-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm not getting worked up. Just pointing out your assumptions are unrealistic.

It's very unlikely they would send school kids to a war torn region. Humanitarian in this case I would guess would be more to do with drought or famine etc in a more peaceful region, rather than somewhere with high risk of death like Somalia or sudan.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
(11-10-2012 06:44 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I'm not getting worked up. Just pointing out your assumptions are unrealistic.

It's very unlikely they would send school kids to a war torn region. Humanitarian in this case I would guess would be more to do with drought or famine etc in a more peaceful region, rather than somewhere with high risk of death like Somalia or sudan.

Perhaps that's true. And that's part of the reason it is a "presumption" (not an assumption), and not an assertion of fact. I alluded heavily to the possibility, yes, but at no point did I state that it was empirical fact.

Either way, I can't say I'd personally agree with sending a child - let alone my OWN child - to such a place; regardless of how "war-torn" it may or may not be.

But, again, that's me. I never suggested that anyone has to agree with my sentiments.

11-10-2012, 07:37 PM
(11-10-2012 06:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 05:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Buying delusional metaphysical loyalty is just another example of why religion is intrinsically unethical and insidious.

Start your own online fundraiser and get Seth's permission to promote it here. Hell Girly gave a couple of hundred bucks to TheFirstImmortal over at imminst.org a few years ago now to cryogenically freeze his sorry ass after he got some nasty cancer even though I knew the only reason it wasn't a waste of money is that it gave him some temporary delusional sense of hope, not that he'd ever rise from the dead. This is YOUR community.

Agreed! I'd be happy to donate to someone in this community, that's what community is for.

I would be willing to help out as well.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
11-10-2012, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 07:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
Normally, I'm a big fan of derailing threads out of principle to see if they got the salt and mettle to rerail themselves after derailment. In this particularly anomalous instance, I'd like to see us send Stark's daughter to Africa. And Misanthropik's concerns are unfounded, 'cause part of that $5000 expense is to employ a squad of misanthropes to protect them. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow! Sorry guys, didn't mean to kind of abandon this. Typed it out then out the door for the evening.

I'll clear a couple of things up first.......

The main purpose isn't to do as much as possible to financially help the people this program will help. The main focus is to teach our youth about humanitarianism. That is accomplished in a very profound way in this program. It achieves an impact greater than the simple act of giving. The kids get to go and create friendships within a culture that most of their peers will never even see. They get to learn humility, not by being humiliated, but by being inspired by people who live happier lives despite their poverty. They learn to feel the joy of the moment, by people who actually live that way.

The purpose of the trip is to help build a school, and to teach our children what it means to be a humanitarian. Just wanted that clear to anyone who may be under the impression that it's somehow a wasted $5000, just because it doesn't purchase the maximum amount of goods.

Nuther thing.......I am feeling kinda guilty here. I wasn't trying to be sneaky and hint at you guys helping me out. I really was just venting about how it frustrated me that the people who all think they have their own personal relationship with the magic sky daddy get a perk. It's offhanded, and not even logical. I was bein emotionally driven. That's all. In fact, I have been considering approaching you guys to see if none wanted to help a brother out.

Thanks for offering to help out you guys. It's a really nice offer. And I may very well take you up on it. Never too much pride when an opportunity like this presents itself. I'll talk to Seth first though. I don't want to appear like I'm soliciting money, or even fundraising without Seth's permission. Don't want to abuse admin privileges or anything.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-10-2012, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 10:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-10-2012 09:37 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Nuther thing.......I am feeling kinda guilty here. I wasn't trying to be sneaky and hint at you guys helping me out.

Couldn't give give less of a shit if if you was trying to be sneaky. But you ain't, let's get your progeny ready to go to Africa and go forth and do good things. ... Girly's in. A hundred bucks is all I can commit without ManlyGirl's approval. ManylyGirl regulates my ass even though I earn all the fucking income. .... I so have to fuck the shit out of her in return for my $100 discretionary funds. Big Grin ... Goddam, I am am a GirlyMan.

11-10-2012, 11:37 PM
(11-10-2012 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Normally, I'm a big fan of derailing threads out of principle to see if they got the salt and mettle to rerail themselves after derailment. In this particularly anomalous instance, I'd like to see us send Stark's daughter to Africa. And Misanthropik's concerns are unfounded, 'cause part of that $5000 expense is to employ a squad of misanthropes to protect them. Thumbsup

I'd like to formally make an employment offer. Just give me $1,000 and I'm in.

*Begins loading his shotgun while chuckling quietly to himself*

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post