Frustration. "Atheist Book?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Frustration. "Atheist Book?"
So my Christian boyfriend and I were watching the new South Park episode that was mocking Mormonism.

He started saying, repeatedly,.. "Anyone who believes in that is so stupid."

I tried to reason with the Christian logic, their "not everything is suppose to be taken literally" statement.

I said " Just because someone is Mormon doesn't mean they believe everything in the Book of Mormon is true, Do you believe everything in the bible is true?"

And he said. "yes"

Do I asked him " Do you think the Earth is flat? "

He yelled "THAT'S NOT IN THE BIBLE!"

I scramble to pull out the bible and try to get the some of the pages mentioning it and he stops me..

And says " Sarah, you're doing that Atheist thing again... I wish there was an Atheist book so every time you said something stupid I could pull it out and show you. Atheist believe stupid things too," said in a childish mocking voice " oooo i'm an Atheist and when I die i'll be a tree."

Ugh... I don't even believe in the tree thing. For there to be an Atheist book, everyone would have to write their own.

But I can assure you, if I did have a book to base my life upon, that book would not be filled with violence..genocide, rape, incest,...

Sorry, this is just a poorly structured rant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SarahDarleen's post
03-04-2011, 08:24 AM
RE: Frustration. "Atheist Book?"
Next time pull out "The End of Faith" by Harris and go "here's my atheist book, now point out the errors in it" ...2 hours later, he'd still be looking. Just enough time for you to go find a smarter boyfriend.

And since when do atheists have a collective mandate that states "the dead shall be reincarnated as shrubbery?"

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
(03-04-2011 08:24 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Next time pull out "The End of Faith" by Harris and go "here's my atheist book, now point out the errors in it" ...2 hours later, he'd still be looking. Just enough time for you to go find a smarter boyfriend.

And since when do atheists have a collective mandate that states "the dead shall be reincarnated as shrubbery?"

Well, to some Christians and error is the same thing as something they disagree with..

That made me laugh, I have no idea why people would think being an Atheist means I think i'll be reincarnated as shrubbery. A dead body is just a dead body anything could happen to it.
03-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Sounds like your boyfriend hasn't a lot of respect for your atheism. Nor does he care to educate himself about what his lady holds as true in her own life. Buddy Christ said it all. Find a smarter boyfriend. One that doesn't mock you for who you are, while saying he loves you. (who he mocks).
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
(03-04-2011 09:00 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Sounds like your boyfriend hasn't a lot of respect for your atheism. Nor does he care to educate himself about what his lady holds as true in her own life. Buddy Christ said it all. Find a smarter boyfriend. One that doesn't mock you for who you are, while saying he loves you. (who he mocks).

He seems to think my atheism is a rebellious phase. -_-
I would like him to respect it more... but he doesn't like talking about it, he feels like when I speak about it i'm trying to get him to become atheist and i'm not.
03-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Eh, when it comes to religion, there's no need to end things with him because of something so trivial. Unless you're thinking of being with him for life and such, in which case, you should think about his lack of respect towards your choice and all that.

BUT, yea. My big issue with this is the whole "Atheists believe stupid things too" That kills me. I hear it all the time. I usually get annoyed off the bat when the word "atheists" is used, because it's clumping together a bunch of people that, unlike christians/muslims/jews/etc, only share a common DISbelief. This means that there is no code, no regulation, no real similarity between all of them except for a rejection of dieties. So when somebody says "Atheists believe stupid things" it's like saying "americans believe stupid things." No, actually, because americans at least share a common culture, it'd be more "People believe stupid things."

Of course some atheists believe stupid things. Stupid people are everywhere. He made our point for us when he said "I wish there was an atheist book" Exaaactly. There is no book. There is no set of laws and principals we all agree to follow, we are free thinking and therefor each have our individual mind sets. We can't all be put into one group and have somebody say "yea, they have stupid beliefs"
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Decide how long you're gonna be with this guy, if you aren't planning for it to be long term you don't need to talk religion with him at all, since in the end you're going to move on. If you want to be with him for a long time you're going to have to set him down and discuss that he disrespects you often, and then every time keep attacking him, unfortunately the two possibilities here are. He leaves you for being an annoying atheist or he realizes he's pressuring you with his statements and calms down on it some.

This is of course all dependent on how important it is to you that you have logical discussions. If you don't mind the occasional stupidity being spewed then why bother fighting over it? But if you see this as important and want your partner to be someone you can discuss things with openly then make sure he understands your position and that you are not "an" atheist. You are the woman he is in a relationship with who he considers right for him. Your comment didn't attack him as stupid at all, but his did for you.

I personally cannot stand things to be left illogical, if someone spends most of their time with me I have to feel they are intelligent enough to discuss things with me. That's not an IQ thing, even people with low IQs can debate logically. It's all how you look at things.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
damn Christians hogging all of the atheist women. AngryAngry

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like 13mentaculus's post
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
We have tons of atheist books, with authors like Sagan, Hitchens, Dawkins etc. Then there are tens or hundreds of thousands of science books. We just don't have a piece of crap like the bible.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Just come back at him with "You're doing that christian thing again." =P

If you want to have a discussion, you could start with "don't you want to know if you are right? How do you know you're right if you won't question?" so as to plant the seeds of doubt. Even if he responds with the bible says so, you will have a window to get your opinion in.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire