Frustration. "Atheist Book?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2011, 05:18 PM

RE: Frustration. "Atheist Book?"
(03-04-2011 09:06 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  
(03-04-2011 09:00 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Sounds like your boyfriend hasn't a lot of respect for your atheism. Nor does he care to educate himself about what his lady holds as true in her own life. Buddy Christ said it all. Find a smarter boyfriend. One that doesn't mock you for who you are, while saying he loves you. (who he mocks).

He seems to think my atheism is a rebellious phase. -_-
I would like him to respect it more... but he doesn't like talking about it, he feels like when I speak about it i'm trying to get him to become atheist and i'm not.
And I'm sure you've reiterated time and again that you're not trying to convert him to atheism, mainly because atheism doesn't proselytize. Wink
I think you have to take a long hard look at the respect factor. If he doesn't respect your being an atheist, which is the case if he doesn't respect atheism he can't respect those who are atheist, and he thinks atheists believe stupid stuff too, but he doesn't really care to educate himself about what atheism is and is not, it then becomes a matter of his ignorance is calling you stupid for being what he doesn't care to understand.

That's odd.

I can tell you after a very long time being married to someone who doesn't respect me and has told me so, that if you're not respected you can't be loved. If love, to someone you know, doesn't include respect for the one loved then it's not love. It's opportunity.

It's a long story what is on with me and my husband, but let me just say this, if I could go back to before we met I'd never even move to the State I met him in. Being in a Gf/Bf relationship is easier to exit than is being in a marriage. And while one may be head over heels in love and the notion of taking those vows forever and till death us do part, seems do-able at the time, in a bad marriage there are a great many ways to die.

Never
Ever
Settle!

For someone you have to make excuses for treating you badly, so that you can live with yourself living with them.

It's not worth it, because of what it costs you in the long run.
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:If he doesn't respect your being an atheist, which is the case if he doesn't respect atheism he can't respect those who are atheist
I don't totally agree with this. I don't think it's his needing to respect atheism as a whole, but her choice to be atheist. I don't respect Christianity, but I respect everyone's choice to believe what they want to believe, I don't go around picking fights to challenge anybody's religion.
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I agree with Cdf, I don't respect Christianity, but Christians in general get the same judgement as atheists from me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2011, 12:18 AM
(03-04-2011 09:06 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  
(03-04-2011 09:00 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Sounds like your boyfriend hasn't a lot of respect for your atheism. Nor does he care to educate himself about what his lady holds as true in her own life. Buddy Christ said it all. Find a smarter boyfriend. One that doesn't mock you for who you are, while saying he loves you. (who he mocks).

He seems to think my atheism is a rebellious phase. -_-
I would like him to respect it more... but he doesn't like talking about it, he feels like when I speak about it i'm trying to get him to become atheist and i'm not.

I'm with the others on this. Buy him a gift, (Sam Harris "The End of Faith"), and tell him that the next time he mocks you, that you are going to wallpaper your house with all the "Stupid Bible Quotes"

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
[+] 1 user Likes Chesstime's post
05-04-2011, 12:29 AM
(03-04-2011 08:11 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  oooo i'm an Atheist and when I die i'll be a tree.
Uh??
What is that supposed to mean?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-04-2011, 01:11 PM

For a while now, Observer, people have been mocking Atheists with the "I'll become a tree" thing. I don't know where it started, it might have been this comedy act by Dane Cook where he makes fun of atheists by saying they think that when they die, they'll turn into a tree (Meaning our bodies decompose and yadda yadda supply nutrients to trees yadda). The act was actually funny, since he went on to say it'd be hilarious if that tree was chopped down and a bible was printed on it.

But yea, people either misunderstand or purposefully misuse the phrase "become a tree" from it's true meaning of "My body will decompose and maybe, indirectly provide nourishment for plant and animal life" to "I'm going to be reincarnated as a tree."

So now, religion not only shuns evolution, but basic science as well. We all know bodies never decompose. We also all know that plants don't need nutrients, they survive by the will of God.
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
(05-04-2011 01:11 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  For a while now, Observer, people have been mocking Atheists with the "I'll become a tree" thing. I don't know where it started, it might have been this comedy act by Dane Cook where he makes fun of atheists by saying they think that when they die, they'll turn into a tree (Meaning our bodies decompose and yadda yadda supply nutrients to trees yadda). The act was actually funny, since he went on to say it'd be hilarious if that tree was chopped down and a bible was printed on it.

But yea, people either misunderstand or purposefully misuse the phrase "become a tree" from it's true meaning of "My body will decompose and maybe, indirectly provide nourishment for plant and animal life" to "I'm going to be reincarnated as a tree."

So now, religion not only shuns evolution, but basic science as well. We all know bodies never decompose. We also all know that plants don't need nutrients, they survive by the will of God.
thats ridiculous!!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtVzj9y-bo

~4:30ish
05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Dane cook is funny? Nah, he's just an ass.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
05-04-2011, 08:50 PM
That was a horrible clip.. I was bored and beyond that couldn't stand his movements. The story could've been funny if told by a better comedian. But thanks for alleviating this tree business.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.