Fuck My Religious Upbringing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2017, 01:57 PM
RE: Fuck My Religious Upbringing
(07-12-2017 11:58 AM)Miscellaniac Wrote:  Anyone else here have a hard time owning the good things they do for other people because of the Christian indoctrination they received as a kid?

I was raised with the idea that every good thing we do, every beneficial talent we have was a result of God working through us, while every bad thing we do was our natural state of sinful dreadfulness. This has led to a lot of self esteem issues, self depreciation, anxiety and depression that I'm currently in therapy for (along with a nasty case of PPD)

I'm not a Christian anymore and I would like to be able to look at my good attributes, my natural talents and my fostered talents and say "This is all me! No god had anything to do with these good things" but there's still a catch in my head that makes it incredibly uncomfortable for me to claim and proudly display these good things about myself.

Of course I'm more than willing to say "I AM THE WORST HUMAN BEING EVER" when I fuck up, and that's where therapy has been hugely beneficial. I'd just like to get to a point where my good points and my bad points balance out in the understanding that both types make me wonderfully human. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I don't know if this post warrants response. I just know I needed to vent Smile

It isn't just Christianity, most humans worldwide of every religion get sold the religion of their parents at birth, prior to the kid being able to critically think for themselves. From an evolutionary standpoint, it unfortunately DOES create group survival. But, it also teaches you that you are shit if you question your tribe.

Don't single out Christianity. In my 16 years of online debate I can tell you can find stories of even Buddhists and Hindus, Sikhs and Jews and Muslims, whom, if the child dares question the family or openly declares they dont buy it, that family, community can turn against them.

This is our species failure to understanding that our behaviors, good or bad, or not in a club label, or sub sect, but in our species evolution.

Can religious people do good and be good? YES, absolutely. I simply question where they think it is coming from.

Our species was doing good and bad long before any written religion, we were BOTH cruel and compassionate long before any nation, much less any written religion.

Other animals display the same empathy to other members humans do. Even between species we can observe cooperation. Humans unfortunately, think locally and tend to protect that which is local and that which is familiar.

But no, we are NOT a separate species. There is not one nation, friend or foe alike, that does not have hospitals and prisons. That says to me our species morality is outside our labels and not in old mythology.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
15-12-2017, 07:22 PM
I see this with my sister. We were raised in the same household, but responded very differently to our religious upbringing. She bought it hook, line, and sinker, and loved going to church. She really "felt God moving in her". To this day, she's extremely religious, and can't so much as post a picture of a pretty sunset without praising god for it. I believed in
God and "got saved" as a kid, but I hated church, and never felt close to God. I thanked God when I had successes, but was able to recognize my own accomplishments. About 4 years ago, I became an atheist.

My sister is an incredibly kind and generous person, and it drives me batty when she talks about how God "moved her" to do something for someone. It's even worse when she says things like "I fail God every day, but he never fails me" or "I'm so grateful that God loves me even though I'm not worthy". It's sickening.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
12-01-2018, 05:37 PM
(07-12-2017 12:43 PM)ImFred Wrote:  FWIW, that’s a big reason I quit AA. If you drink they say you didn’t pray enough and if you’re sober it’s all because God did what you couldn’t do alone. I got sick of the dirty looks when I said that I was sober because I found the fortitude to resist the urge to drink.

WTF kind of guilt-tripping shit is that?! No
12-01-2018, 07:47 PM
(15-12-2017 07:22 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I see this with my sister. We were raised in the same household, but responded very differently to our religious upbringing. She bought it hook, line, and sinker, and loved going to church. She really "felt God moving in her". To this day, she's extremely religious, and can't so much as post a picture of a pretty sunset without praising god for it. I believed in
God and "got saved" as a kid, but I hated church, and never felt close to God. I thanked God when I had successes, but was able to recognize my own accomplishments. About 4 years ago, I became an atheist.

My sister is an incredibly kind and generous person, and it drives me batty when she talks about how God "moved her" to do something for someone. It's even worse when she says things like "I fail God every day, but he never fails me" or "I'm so grateful that God loves me even though I'm not worthy". It's sickening.

> Next time, try these words of wisdom on her:

“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

“The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others happy.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)

“Men tend to have beliefs which suit their passions. Cruel men believe in a cruel God, and use their belief to excuse their cruelty. Only kindly people believe in a kindly God, and they would be kindly in any case.” (Bertrand Russell)

“Some have made the love of God the foundation of morality. This too, is but a branch of our moral duties, which are generally divided in duties to God and duties to man. If we are to act merely from the love of God and a belief that is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist?...Diderot, D'Lambert, D'Holbach, Condorcet, are known to have been among the most virtuous of men. Their virtues, then, must have some other foundation than the love of God.” (Thomas Jefferson)

“Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.” (Marcus Aurelius)

“It is not necessary to believe in God to be a good person. In a way, the traditional notion of God is outdated. One can be spiritual but not religious. It is not necessary to go to church and give money──for many, nature can be a church. Some of the best people in the world did not believe in God, while some of the worst deeds were done in His name.” (Pope Francis)

"The world is my country, humanity are my brethren, and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine) Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post