Fuel-less Space Drive May Actually Work, Says NASA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2015, 01:26 PM
RE: Fuel-less Space Drive May Actually Work, Says NASA
(29-07-2015 05:15 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 02:55 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  By "propellent-less" they mean they don't have to carry a tank of propellent not that propellent isn't used in the drive.

It's a resonant microwave cavity that's self-contained. Yes, a propellant tank is not needed because it doesn't use any propellant.

It creates thrust by ejecting mass out the back end. The mass it ejects is the propellant. That is what propellant is....the mass you toss in one direction to propel you off in the opposite direction. The propellant it uses are virtual particles which pop into and out of existence.

The engine certainly uses propellant. It just doesn't store and carry it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2015, 03:26 PM
(29-07-2015 01:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 05:15 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It's a resonant microwave cavity that's self-contained. Yes, a propellant tank is not needed because it doesn't use any propellant.

It creates thrust by ejecting mass out the back end. The mass it ejects is the propellant. That is what propellant is....the mass you toss in one direction to propel you off in the opposite direction. The propellant it uses are virtual particles which pop into and out of existence.

No, it does not. it creates thrust (possibly) by creating differential radiation pressures in a closed cavity.
The thrust is generated inside a closed cavity without any ejection of propellant mass.

[Image: 2AE8826A00000578-3177449-image-a-46_1438096122652.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-07-2015, 04:14 PM
There has got to be some sort of particle or energy exchange outside of the cavity. It just may be particles whose existence has not yet been detected and that are able to cross the cavity barrier as a result of the microwave excitation. Jargon buzz blah blah.... Eh... I'll believe it when I see it or hear an actual explanation. Tongue

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
29-07-2015, 06:43 PM
“There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.”

Albert Einstein, 1932

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-07-2015, 01:36 AM
(29-07-2015 03:26 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 01:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It creates thrust by ejecting mass out the back end. The mass it ejects is the propellant. That is what propellant is....the mass you toss in one direction to propel you off in the opposite direction. The propellant it uses are virtual particles which pop into and out of existence.

No, it does not. it creates thrust (possibly) by creating differential radiation pressures in a closed cavity.
The thrust is generated inside a closed cavity without any ejection of propellant mass.

[Image: 2AE8826A00000578-3177449-image-a-46_1438096122652.jpg]

I looked into it a little further. It doesn't operate they way I thought. I don't quite understand how it works. I don't think anyone really knows yet. So I retract my statement claiming it uses propellant.
30-07-2015, 06:12 AM
A counterpoint.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...-bullshit/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
30-07-2015, 06:54 AM
(30-07-2015 06:12 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  A counterpoint.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...-bullshit/

Yep, we have to take it with a grain of salt. Still hope it turns out to be something real though.....

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
30-07-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm so looking forward to humanity devising methods of interstellar travel.....

And REALLY looking forward to some religious nutbags venturing off to "enlighten the natives" of other planets.....

The more that go, means the less here....

That's worth all the money we give NASA.....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-07-2015, 08:01 AM
If they get themselves in trouble on some distant planet, I say we don't send anyone to bail them out.

[Image: StarshipTroopers_04.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Yup... Let the bugs get 'em...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post