Full moon and mood swings?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Full moon and mood swings?
My English teacher likes to talk about how humans tend to get more wild during a full moon. I reject this claim until there is decent evidence provided for it. The problem is, when I try to find real evidence for it, I tend to go to less-than trust able sites.

Is there any peer-reviewed paper saying that this is true? What are your thoughts on this? Seems completely false, but my teacher swears there have been studies, and I don't want to stay it is false without putting decent effort into looking for her evidence.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
RE: Full moon and mood swings?
It's false.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-03-2010, 05:52 AM

(12-03-2010 10:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  It's false.

Gotta love 'Canadian' research! Go Canada! Smile
(12-03-2010 10:18 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  My English teacher likes to talk about how humans tend to get more wild during a full moon. I reject this claim until there is decent evidence provided for it. The problem is, when I try to find real evidence for it, I tend to go to less-than trust able sites.

Is there any peer-reviewed paper saying that this is true? What are your thoughts on this? Seems completely false, but my teacher swears there have been studies, and I don't want to stay it is false without putting decent effort into looking for her evidence.

One source you can look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_effect

Seems this belief is a left over remnant from the days when people believed in the Roman and Greek gods. Lunacy is derived from the Roman godess of the moon, Luna. I tried to find out more about it, but came to a dead end. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2010, 08:00 AM

Why isn't the New Moon also part of it. The tides are just as high if not higher on the new moon as the full moon. Also the moon is always half lit, the sun always sees it this way.

Paul

Smile Smile Smile
13-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Could one deduce, though, that if the moon did happen to cause some level of lunacy among animals on Earth, what type of havoc did it subject the astronauts of the Apollo missions to? Or is the myth only around the lunar gravitational effect on Earth?

Inquiring minds want to know... Huh
13-03-2010, 09:02 AM

Well from personal experience I have been with two girls who seemed to get more frisky than usual on the full moon...
13-03-2010, 10:25 AM
(13-03-2010 09:02 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  Well from personal experience I have been with two girls who seemed to get more frisky than usual on the full moon...

I've heard this one before. The most convincing part of it is that it seems to be so consistent with certain individuals. It is, however, easily explained. The moon is on a 28 day cycle, as are most women. If a woman happens to reach those specific days where she is especially inclined towards sex (usually during ovulation) at the same time as the full moon, then as long as she has a very regular cycle, it will happen every full moon. It really has nothing to do with the moon, just timing.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-03-2010, 12:23 PM
(13-03-2010 08:00 AM)Paulhoff Wrote:  Why isn't the New Moon also part of it. The tides are just as high if not higher on the new moon as the full moon. Also the moon is always half lit, the sun always sees it this way.

Paul

Smile Smile Smile

Hey Paulhoff! Glad to see you here.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
13-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Gotta love the public edumacation systems, teaching us the truth about magic and the moon.

Just as I thought, completely fake, no ground in reality. Not that I will point that out. I enjoy my A.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
13-03-2010, 11:20 PM

As I'm sure is obvious, but rarely pointed out, it doesn't matter what phase the moon is in. Regardless of how much light is reflected by the moon, it stays the same distance away. Most people know that the moon only reflects light, yet they don't put together that means it's the same distance away regardless of the phase. Just thought I'd mention this.