Full version of Joseph Atwill's Documentary

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2015, 02:35 AM
Full version of Joseph Atwill's Documentary
I've just come across an 83 minute version of Joseph Atwill's documentary on the beginnings of Christianity. It seems to be longer and better than the previous version that I watched. Versions of this documentary seem to come and go on youtube, so anyone who is interested in it should watch it before it disappears again. It is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5CBJwfZEUE

To those of you don't know me, I have been researching the history of early Christianity for the last eight years or so, and have written my own book that is about to be published, so I know a little about the topic. I'm seriously impressed with Atwill's ideas. In a nutshell, he proposes the whole Christian story was invented by the Roman government as anti Jewish propaganda. There are a number of other commentators on the documentary who agree with him.

I suggest that anyone with the remotest interest in the history of the beginnings of Christianity should watch this.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
09-02-2015, 03:43 AM
RE: Full version of Joseph Atwill's Documentary
When the boyo publishes in a well-regarded, peer reviewed history journal I'll be more keen. Same applies to you I'm afraid Wink It's one thing summarising current, already journal-published knowledge in a book. It's quite another advancing radical new hypotheses and skipping the peer-review step.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Same as the last one you posted, sillyhead. Tongue

living word
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
(09-02-2015 07:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Same as the last one you posted, sillyhead. Tongue

As I said in the introduction, the documentary has been made longer and is improved.

The link I provided the last time I posted about this has had the video removed, so is useless.

Even if you don't agree with the hypothesis, there is a wealth of information to be learned here. Is is a shame not to take advantage of it. I will be watching it for the fourth time tonight.Big Grin
09-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Isn't Atwill the joker who claims Roman conspiracy as origins of Christianity? And claims evidence too? Why he no write paper?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-02-2015, 03:32 PM
(09-02-2015 03:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Isn't Atwill the joker who claims Roman conspiracy as origins of Christianity? And claims evidence too? Why he no write paper?
Something something conspiracy something something suppressed truth. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Gentleman, cool your jets.

Open your minds.

Don't be lazy.

Watch the video.

As I said, you don't have to agree with it.

Just learn.
09-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I'll give it a watch later.

Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-02-2015, 05:06 PM
(09-02-2015 03:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Isn't Atwill the joker who claims Roman conspiracy as origins of Christianity? And claims evidence too? Why he no write paper?

Yes, that is him. If you had bothered to watch the first few minutes of the documentary you would have known that. He is no "joker." Anyone who truthfully claims they have spent 10 years studying the history deserves to be listened to.

There are a number of other commentators on the documentary. Some of them have formal academic qualifications, and some have written books about the history. Included are Professor Robert Eisenmann, Dr Rob Blackhurst, Timothy Freke, John Hudson and D.M. Murdoch.
10-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Mark, you know I like you - I've learned a fair bit from your posts. YouTube videos and forum posts are not my favourite medium for learning shit, and I still wanna know when this guy's published paper is coming out - he's been knocking around a few years, he *has* evidence - or so he says, he's got a fairly concrete hypothesis - there should *be* a paper. I can't find anything on the net about him other than either people who I don't know going "raa raa Atwill" or other people who I don't know going "He's a crank".

No published papers (as far as I can find) but lots of popularising of his work tends to make me feel he's on the cranky side of the equation *especially* when combined with excited squeaking about how ground breaking and original his ideas are. Maybe I'll give the video a watch but frankly it feels like wasting my time to me - *unless* I can get some references.

I'm not an expert, I don't aspire to be an expert, I have to trust other experts. I find this stuff interesting but I don't find crank fantasies interesting. Therefore when this kind of stuff comes up I want to know what the community of *actual* experts thinks. It's no more than straightforward scepticism as any person would apply...

[+] 4 users Like morondog's post