Poll: Can religion be changed for the better ?
Yes - religion can adapt to modern life
No - religion cannot change
Other - Please Explain
[Show Results]

Fun Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Fun Religion
An attempt to modernize religion

Christian fail :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpniiSFmOeI
(also you can see the Angry Video Game Nerd at 0:37 Tongue)

Buddhist win :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8L-oRCBgV0

I say fail to christianity because the commercial I linked to was considered offensive and taken down.You can still get a cocktail from a buddhist monk though Big Grin

What's your opinion ?
Can religion be overhauled ?
Can we retrain religious leaders to be philosophers/psychologists and modernize religion so it fits a modern society ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2011, 01:49 PM
RE: Fun Religion
Pepsi Max has 0 calories? Your body gets no energy from Pepsi Max at all? + It tastes bad.
Quote:Can religion be overhauled ?
Religion has always been changing through history.
Quote:Can we retrain religious leaders to be philosophers/psychologists and modernize religion so it fits a modern society ?
I don't think so. To do that, we'd have to rewrite many holy books...

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Could work, there was an ancient religion I read about in A History of God that's basic rule was "question everything"
02-01-2011, 12:14 AM
I almost wet myself god damn.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 12:34 AM by The Doctor.)
Jesus loves Metal:
An Italian Monk that does Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ap3sIaLNYM
(01-01-2011 12:41 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I say fail to christianity because the commercial I linked to was considered offensive and taken down.You can still get a cocktail from a buddhist monk though Big Grin

Moderation is the key in Buddism. Big Grin Unless you belong to a branch that bans alcohol. Sad

Also one thing I like about Buddhism is that it's normal to modernize compared too other religions or philosophys.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I like Buddhism too.
It seems the more peaceful and less supernatural religion out there.
02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
(01-01-2011 01:49 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:Can we retrain religious leaders to be philosophers/psychologists and modernize religion so it fits a modern society ?
I don't think so. To do that, we'd have to rewrite many holy books...

Or they can just cherry pick from their holy books, which tends to happen. We don't see Jews stoning their children to death when they misbehave.

I think that how much religion can adapt greatly depends on which direction society is heading. However, just by the fact that society is changing, religion will have to choose between dying out(or at least shrinking) or playing catch up. And I think that the can can, and do, find a middle ground, keeping as many tradition and beliefs as they can while they edit their religion to make it more acceptable.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
02-01-2011, 11:46 AM
(02-01-2011 11:18 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I like Buddhism too.
It seems the more peaceful and less supernatural religion out there.

Buddhism is more of a science of the mind than faith in gods or deities. Unless your into Mahayana Buddhism (Tibetan) which has celestial buddhas and bodhisattvas. In the Buddha's teachings, having a god or gods is pointless in achieving enlightenment.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
(02-01-2011 12:26 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Jesus loves Metal:
An Italian Monk that does Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ap3sIaLNYM
CoolCoolCool

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
(02-01-2011 11:46 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Buddhism is more of a science of the mind than faith in gods or deities. Unless your into Mahayana Buddhism (Tibetan) which has celestial buddhas and bodhisattvas. In the Buddha's teachings, having a god or gods is pointless in achieving enlightenment.

Is there a canon of Buddhist teachings ? Or are there disjoint lessons that are passed on orally and in writing ?
Also I recall scientific research into buddhist techniques : meditation can reduce metabolism by 65 % , monks while meditating can warm a wet blanket at below 0 temperatures (Celsius system) and a monk while meditating was found to be the happiest man on Earth.
To quote Denzel Washington in Training Day : "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."