Poll: Can religion be changed for the better ?
Yes - religion can adapt to modern life
No - religion cannot change
Other - Please Explain
[Show Results]

Fun Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
RE: Fun Religion
(02-01-2011 03:20 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Is there a canon of Buddhist teachings ? Or are there disjoint lessons that are passed on orally and in writing ?

Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha lived around 623 BCE too 483 BCE. Majority of his teachings were passed down orally. It wasn't until about 400 years after his deaths it was all written down.

Here is some of the Buddha's works:
http://www.holyebooks.org/budhism/dhammapada.html

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Religion can, has, and must adapt to remain relevant to its followers. However, the more and more society progresses, the less and less these adaptations make sense. Religions will always of course insist upon referring back to their original, archaic texts, and simply interpret them differently or leave out more and more as religion makes less and less sense in a modern world (and concurrently, the more and more people will turn to atheism or agnosticism). People want to believe, and they will circumvent any logic that stands in their way to reconcile their comfortable modern lives created through the wonders of natural science with the ideas of 3000 year old sheep herders.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 06:11 AM
I have a big problem with the interpretation of "holy" texts.Everyone thinks they know best and they never stop to think that maybe the whole text is nothing more than an old book and nothing more.
There is little to do in a debate when someone brings up the interpretation argument.I can't think of a proper way to respond.
As for religion evolving , I'm thinking something more radical.I would love to see religious leaders retrained in philosophers , historians and psychologists.If they want to be leaders of the community they should fit the bill.
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
(04-01-2011 06:11 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I have a big problem with the interpretation of "holy" texts.Everyone thinks they know best and they never stop to think that maybe the whole text is nothing more than an old book and nothing more.
There is little to do in a debate when someone brings up the interpretation argument.I can't think of a proper way to respond.
As for religion evolving , I'm thinking something more radical.I would love to see religious leaders retrained in philosophers , historians and psychologists.If they want to be leaders of the community they should fit the bill.

Which is all true with most religions. Well in Buddhism, the Buddha said we can debate and discuss his teachings. If he was wrong. Well he was wrong. Simple as that.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Yes , that's true.
I appreciate that loop-hole the Buddha put in.I'll give the guy credit , he was ahead of his time. I can only imagine how better the world would be if every religion had that same clause. Sadly monotheistic faiths seem to work differently ... and for the worst.
Find all posts by this user