Fun facebook comments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Fun facebook comments
For all those facepalm moments on facebook that are so much fun to share. I present the facebook comments thread.

Just post your status and the reply for some good old fun.

Let me begin:

status:Loves winter solstice. Axial tilt has given us so much joy throughout history. Smile

response:What I don't understand why you feel the need to mock those with faith. You don't do believe we get it but why the mocking.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2010, 09:52 PM
RE: Fun facebook comments
friends status: everybody seems to be forgetting its jesus' birthday Sad I wish the rest of the world would celebrate it like we do.

someones response: I didn't forget Smile and why do people have to spread lies about where christmas came from? wtf are pagans anyway?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
27-12-2010, 02:58 AM
wow and it continues with a full blown letter.

Of course I know the the date of Christmas comes from the pagan festival of the sun. Catholics don't believe that Christmas is on the 25th because it was the actual historical date of Christ's birth. Catholics have no teach on what the actual historical date of Christ's birth was only that he was born. Christmas is celebrated on the date of a pagan festival because the fact that it was easier to get away with it during the time of persecution to have it on the date of a pagan festival. I agree that there were festivals that predate Christianity it would be ridiculous to claim otherwise. That however, doesn't mean that religious holidays are not religious holidays. Furthermore are to honestly trying to say that you were simply talking about the joy of fellowship and good will with no intention of belittling Christianity by stating that the connecting it with the winter solstice and claim that is the reason for the joy rather than Christmas. I find this difficult to believe, I personally believe that you are smarter than that. Finally I caution you against talking about this as if you are somehow privy to knowledge of this issue that I am unaware of. This is what I study full time. I generally find that it is a good assume that people have reason for believing what they believe. I would suggest you do the same rather than assume that Christians deny reason or are ignorant of their own scriptures or anti science. These are similar claims that you have made in the past and while I am not insulted I think it portrays and certain lack of intellectual honesty. For example when you have read scriptures that appear at first glance to portray a God who is vindictive rather than love. Reading a scripture text from a surface level or looking at a holiday or anything from a surface level for that matter then claiming understanding is unwise.

My response.

Yep I am making the claim that most Christians are totally and completely unaware of the historical connections of the season.

The only reason why I assumed you as an individual were unaware is the comments you made of mockery. If the Pagans had decided to celebrate their holiday on the spring equinox as much as winter solstice then it's likely Christmas would be in April. It is not fallacy to point to historical causes or events as the underlying cause of something else.

Christmas lies where it lies due to axial tilt. Saying that to point out historical truth is mockery is a pretty big hint towards oversensitivity.

As for biblical translation. I would imply and I think quite rightly so that judging the entire bible to be holy is to take a book by it's cover.

To hand over all authority to a select group of people to "translate" the meaning of something for us is folly. We would never simply take one scientists word or one study as the end all be all of a topic unless it stands up to testing.

This is part of the reason that there are over 3000 denominations of Christianity in the world today. People will always disagree about meaning.

All I am implying is simply that maybe just maybe the book was written by men in the 1st century and reflects that in it's works. If you want to claim more then that (such as divine inspiration) then the burden of proof falls on those claiming the book is more then that.

None of this is mockery. It's the very same intellectual honesty you accuse me of not having. I changed my mind about Catholicism and Christ because I was intellectually honest not in spite of it.

edit: It is 3 in the morning so forgive any obvious grammatical errors in my response.
27-12-2010, 08:34 PM
An exchange on my page:

Friend 1:Merry Christmas everyone! Jesus is the reason for the season!

Friend 2:We just taught our rugrat to say, "Happy Birthday, Jesus!" He knew Santa and presents. How about the actual reason!?!

My husband:Winter Solstice?? Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
27-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I mentioned axial tilt as the "reason for the season" and got a whole bunch of people telling me I was being a Scrooge. LMAO!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-12-2010, 10:04 AM
You guys are so lucky. My mom grounds me when I say stuff about religion or religious holidays on facebook Sad [being 15 sucks ass]

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
05-01-2011, 04:29 AM
I put up a picture of a napkin that basically said the napkin existed because the napkin said so. That started a 52 response argument. 2 guys in particular were very upset that I would attack religion. Neither were particularly religious but felt that it was enough of an attack to jump in and throw a few jabs at me. Then a few people came to my rescue and it turned into a boxing match.

Their biggest issue was that they were forced to read my comments because it came across their news feed. THAT was the highlight. It was nice to know that I am that popular on facebook Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Sounds like some people are awfully easily offended. Wink And how were they forced, exactly?

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
06-01-2011, 03:41 AM
(05-01-2011 10:01 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Sounds like some people are awfully easily offended. Wink And how were they forced, exactly?

That was my first question. They said that I was in their news feed and my status was always updated on that list. I guess some people have not learned to NOT read everything that they see. I know I do not read EVERY status update on my news feed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
people get offended because sometimes what you say actually makes them THINK of alternative possibilities and it upsets their little worlds.