• 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 12:51 PM
RE: Fun facts / Palindrome week
Notlob - Bolton Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 01:02 PM
(11-05-2015 05:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  But only if you're a retarded American who gets the date around the wrong way.

day/month/year is obviously the correct manner in which to write a date.
small/less small/least small.

Because it sounds infinitely less retarded in spoken English to say "May twelfth, twenty fifteen" instead of "twelfth (twelve) May, twenty fifteen".

Americans seem to be the only ones who understand this; thus, giving us the m/d/y format.

Furthermore:

Hey, when is your appointment?

It's May twelfth.
or
It's twelve May/It's the twelfth of May.

There is really no contest here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
12-05-2015, 03:29 PM
(12-05-2015 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 05:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  But only if you're a retarded American who gets the date around the wrong way.

Because it sounds infinitely less retarded in spoken English to say "May twelfth, twenty fifteen" instead of "twelfth (twelve) May, twenty fifteen".

Americans seem to be the only ones who understand this; thus, giving us the m/d/y format.

Furthermore:

It's May twelfth.
or

I think it's just because you're used to saying/hearing it that way. Twelfth of May only sounds slightly less natural to me. Kind of like 10:30 vs. half past ten; or 10:45 vs. quarter to eleven. Six of one, half dozen of the other...
12-05-2015, 04:52 PM
(12-05-2015 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Furthermore:

It's May twelfth.
or

Nobody says 12th May, they say 12th of May which sounds fine.
Even in conversation (such as your appointment example) people say 12th of May, not May 12th.

Quote:Small 5/less small 11/least small 2015
Yep you're right!Big Grin

Day/Month/Year
Ya fucking retard. Big Grin
12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
It may disrupt the fabric of the universe, but I am forced to agree with muffs...

Yanksville is, once again, wrong.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Quote:I am forced to agree with muffs...

[Image: %D0%A4%D1%83%D1%80%D1%80%D1%8F%D1%82%D0%...82433.jpeg]
13-05-2015, 09:51 AM
(12-05-2015 01:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Furthermore:

It's May twelfth.
or

"Twelve May" is exactly how we say it in the US military. Every other variation is just wrong. Tongue

oh and,

Sir, I soon saw Bob was no Osiris.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-05-2015, 10:32 AM
The complaints are nonsense... You complain well it's not in order or some smallest to largest manner? So? That's arbitrary anyhow, who cares for order? Order is a foolish system to try to create.

Just like the Celsius/Fahrenheit contrast. Well I don't need to know that 100 C is the boiling point of water, I don't hold thermometers over my stove. Keep on being annoying 'Merica! Thumbsup

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-05-2015, 12:16 PM
(13-05-2015 10:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The complaints are nonsense... You complain well it's not in order or some smallest to largest manner? So? That's arbitrary anyhow, who cares for order? Order is a foolish system to try to create.

Order improves clarity, clarity improves communication, communication improves understanding.

Quote:Just like the Celsius/Fahrenheit contrast. Well I don't need to know that 100 C is the boiling point of water, I don't hold thermometers over my stove. Keep on being annoying 'Merica! Thumbsup

What? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2015, 12:25 PM
(13-05-2015 12:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 10:32 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The complaints are nonsense... You complain well it's not in order or some smallest to largest manner? So? That's arbitrary anyhow, who cares for order? Order is a foolish system to try to create.

Order improves clarity, clarity improves communication, communication improves understanding.

Quote:Just like the Celsius/Fahrenheit contrast. Well I don't need to know that 100 C is the boiling point of water, I don't hold thermometers over my stove. Keep on being annoying 'Merica! Thumbsup

What? Consider

Or does it merely improve the illusion of leading to understanding?

People have stated in the same vain of making it easier to understand, that Celsius is better because it's clearly noted as 0 for water freezing and 100 is where water boils. That's just an arbitrary distinction point that isn't relevant to anyone's life, so it isn't improving any understanding at any real level.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson