Fun with Fundies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 03:29 PM
RE: Fun with Fundies
When I saw the title it instantly reminded me of this Spencer's classic:

[Image: 6789859.jpg?size=mobile290]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Octapulse's post
01-10-2015, 03:31 PM
LOL

I REMEMBER THOSE!!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-10-2015, 03:46 PM
(01-10-2015 11:16 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 12:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Fine" I say -- "So how old does "god's word" say the universe is?"""

If you had asked me that question I would have said that the earth is several thousand years old but the Bible doesn't tell us when the universe was created. Here is a complete explanation of why I believe this:

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/0...-universe/

I would also have pointed out that the Bible doesn't give enough information to determine the exact age of the earth or the date of Noah's flood.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/4004-bc/

Good God man! I hope you didn't go to university. And if you did please tell me which one so I know which resumes I can just put in the circular filing cabinet without reading further.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-10-2015, 07:28 PM
(30-09-2015 12:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fundamentalist Christians have a belief that they have a duty to proselytize - "spreading the word" they call it.

I'd say a manure spreader would do just as good a job of spreading it - with much the same results.

That said -- I recently came to the realization that when a fundie shows up on my doorstep - it's MY duty to attempt to knock some sense into their head.

I had a couple show up today - one of each flavor - male/female. I was out behind the barn running the gas powered table saw - sawing up the wood I use for making maple syrup (small stuff - under 2 inch diameter) - and I looked up and seen the pair. I shut down the saw and inquired as to what they wanted.

"We'd like to share the "Word of God" with you......" Oh boy...... Just what I need....

"OK" I say -- "I'll give you a bit of my time -- if you answer a few questions of mine." "SURE" they say "We'd be HAPPY to!!!!" (want to bet?)

First I ask what church they're from.... Baptists.... (oh boy, hardcore nutters)..

Next I ask "Does God ever lie to you, or try to deceive you?"....

"Noooo" THey answer -- "God's word is the truth (blah, blah, blah) -- I let them go for a minute......

Next I ask --- "So the bible gives you all the answers to all your questions"????

"Yes" they gush "If you open your heart and ask the Holy Spirit (blah, blah, blah, blah blah...)

"Fine" I say -- "So how old does "god's word" say the universe is?"""

A bit of hemming and hawing...... But, eventually they say it's somewhere between 5 and 10,000 years old.........

"OK" I say -- -"The observable universe is mathematically proven to be BILLIONS of light- years in size -- and as it takes billions of years for the emitted light of those stars to reach us - how can you explain that discrepancy"???

a bit of hemming and hawing --- and the guy finally says "God made the light APPEAR to be from a star that distant."

"So he did this why?? To DECEIVE us???? "

Grumble, mumble....

"Well - we don't know all the answers"....

"Yeah," I say -- "I kinda figured that.... Come back when you do"....

fire up motor and go back to sawing wood.....

Smartass

Fun is, where you find it.
Young earth creationism gained prominence in the 1960's, but prior to that the default Christian fundamental belief was an old earth/universe. Old Earth Creationism has been around since the 1700's and still exists today. The YEC movement is an easy target, as it should be. Neo Darwinism gained momentum in the 50's and Christians freaked in retaliation of its claims. Anyways there's a book entitled the "Fundamentals" published around the 1920's, which details the Christian fundamental belief of an old earth.
[+] 1 user Likes NASB's post
02-10-2015, 11:34 AM
(01-10-2015 11:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How ignorant and willing to disregard facts do you have to be to believe the world is only thousands of years old?????

There's pine trees that can be CONFIRMED to be over 5000 years old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lo...g_organism

The oldest living things are only 5000 years old. If you can find something living that is millions of years old that would show the world is older than the Bible says it is.

Quote:I've personally seen areas where erosion wore away rock -- that took EONS to occur.. The geologic evidence alone is undeniable that the earth is billions of years old.

If the kind of erosion we see today were the only force that ever acted on the rocks it would be reasonable to believe they are billions of years old. But you aren't taking into consideration the effect of the Flood. That brought about extensive geological changes in a short period of time.

Quote:You might as well insist the earth is flat. It's really that ignorant to claim the earth is thousands of years old.

We know the shape of the earth because we can see it. We cannot observe what happened in the past. In order to accurately interpret the data we have about the past we nehttps://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/the-10-best-evidences-from-science-that-confirm-a-young-earth/ed to know whether or not God ever intervened in the functioning of natural processes. The measurements that show the earth is old all assume that he did not.

Quote:It boggles the mind to believe people can exist in this world that can simultaneously believe that, and are actually able to function as human beings.

It surprises me that so many people ignore the scientific evidence that show the earth can't be as old as most people believe.

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-fo...ung-earth/

(01-10-2015 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Good God man! I hope you didn't go to university. And if you did please tell me which one so I know which resumes I can just put in the circular filing cabinet without reading further.

I went to the University of Kansas but dropped out after only one year.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2015, 11:53 AM
(02-10-2015 11:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The oldest living things are only 5000 years old. If you can find something living that is millions of years old that would show the world is older than the Bible says it is.

That is not, however, the only way to demonstrate it.

(02-10-2015 11:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If the kind of erosion we see today were the only force that ever acted on the rocks it would be reasonable to believe they are billions of years old. But you aren't taking into consideration the effect of the Flood. That brought about extensive geological changes in a short period of time.

Literally all geological evidence we have contradicts the idea of a global flood.

(02-10-2015 11:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  It surprises me that so many people ignore the scientific evidence that show the earth can't be as old as most people believe.

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-fo...ung-earth/

AnswersInGenesis is a well-known crank site. Almost nothing that they say is ever true, and what is true is taken out of context and manipulated so as to obscure what it actually means.

For example, they cite the Schweitzer findings (soft tissue in dinosaur fossils) both incorrectly and without any of its surrounding context. The discovery of soft tissue that had been preserved in fossils did not actually indicate that the fossils were not as old as we thought, but rather that there was another factor in the preservation process which had not been fully understood prior to Schweitzer's findings. We now know what that factor was (iron in the soft tissue preserving it more completely than we thought possible). You can read more about it here.

Do not try to cite AnswersInGenesis as a source for reliable information.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
02-10-2015, 11:59 AM
(02-10-2015 11:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The oldest living things are only 5000 years old. If you can find something living that is millions of years old that would show the world is older than the Bible says it is.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-ani...isms-world

Quote:For his PhD Dr Brian Schubert of the University of Binghamton revived Dunaliella bacteria that had been buried in salt in Death Valley for 34,000 years.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-04...scientists

Quote:Scientists have discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on earth -- an individual mightier than the blue whale, the giant sequoia tree or such past pretenders to size supremacy as the dinosaur.

The organism is a giant fungus, an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore 1,500 to 10,000 years ago and now extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a forest near Crystal Falls, Mich., along the Wisconsin border.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
02-10-2015, 12:19 PM
(02-10-2015 11:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 03:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Good God man! I hope you didn't go to university. And if you did please tell me which one so I know which resumes I can just put in the circular filing cabinet without reading further.

I went to the University of Kansas but dropped out after only one year.

Ya don't say! Shocking

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
02-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Theo, little advice... don't quote from/link the Internet's Coloring Book. It does nothing to help you in any way; likewise, don't quote/link anything from Crocoduck Kirk or Ham Sammich.

While I have your attention, you may want to check out this website with actual, real, degreed scientists who are also Christians.

BioLogos

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
12-10-2015, 01:31 AM
(01-10-2015 03:29 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  When I saw the title it instantly reminded me of this Spencer's classic:

[Image: 6789859.jpg?size=mobile290]
I never heard of them until I read the post. Seems you can get them at Amazon.com

Damn! I can't find my credit card?

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post