Fun with Math

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 07:36 PM
RE: Fun with Math
(17-01-2014 07:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  math and fun

mutually exclusive

Yeah! Love math Big Grin got up to trig/calc two in HS though, so some of the math talk that goes on in here is a bit over my head, but I definitely spotted the issue with #8, feeling good Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
17-01-2014, 07:42 PM
[Image: divide3.jpg]

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 6 users Like Crulax's post
17-01-2014, 07:55 PM
What I see:

a+b = haterz gonna hate! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 5 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
17-01-2014, 09:32 PM
(17-01-2014 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 07:34 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  What Girly Says:

What I hear:

[Image: download-4.png]

Exactly! Thumbsup

ManlyGirl sucks balls at math but she's sharp as shit on arithmetic. My job is to distill the numbers down to arithmetic so she can make the call.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-01-2014, 09:53 PM
(17-01-2014 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + .... = -1/12. True story. Big ass dragons.

... and this result is necessary to a proper understanding of quantum physics(!)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
17-01-2014, 10:07 PM
(17-01-2014 07:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 06:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This stuff hurts me. Math shouldn't have letters in it.

Real math barely has numerals in it.

Tongue

Oh No

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

17-01-2014, 11:15 PM
I haven't touched math since junior year in highschool, and that was just measly algebra II.

[Image: giphy.gif]
17-01-2014, 11:53 PM
(17-01-2014 09:53 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + .... = -1/12. True story. Big ass dragons.

... and this result is necessary to a proper understanding of quantum physics(!)

Some crazy fucking shit ain't it, Hafnof?

#sigh
18-01-2014, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2014 12:10 AM by GirlyMan.)
Spot the fallacy. This one's pretty hard to spot. I didn't spot it. You gotta know something about proof by induction to follow it.

Everyone's the same age.

1) In any group that consists of just one person, everybody in the group has the same age, because after all there is only one person!
2) Therefore, statement S(1) is true.
3) The next stage in the induction argument is to prove that, whenever S(n) is true for one number (say n=k), it is also true for the next number (that is, n = k+1).
4) We can do this by (1) assuming that, in every group of k people, everyone has the same age; then (2) deducing from it that, in every group of k+1 people, everyone has the same age.
5) Let G be an arbitrary group of k+1 people; we just need to show that every member of G has the same age.
6) To do this, we just need to show that, if P and Q are any members of G, then they have the same age.
7) Consider everybody in G except P. These people form a group of k people, so they must all have the same age (since we are assuming that, in any group of k people, everyone has the same age).
8) Consider everybody in G except Q. Again, they form a group of k people, so they must all have the same age.
9) Let R be someone else in G other than P or Q.
10) Since Q and R each belong to the group considered in step 7, they are the same age.
11) Since P and R each belong to the group considered in step 8, they are the same age.
12) Since Q and R are the same age, and P and R are the same age, it follows that P and Q are the same age.
13) We have now seen that, if we consider any two people P and Q in G, they have the same age. It follows that everyone in G has the same age.
14) The proof is now complete: we have shown that the statement is true for n=1, and we have shown that whenever it is true for n=k it is also true for n=k+1, so by induction it is true for all n.

#sigh
18-01-2014, 12:09 AM
(18-01-2014 12:03 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Spot the fallacy. This one's pretty hard to spot. I didn't spot it. You gotta know something about proof by induction to follow it.

1) In any group that consists of just one person, everybody in the group has the same age, because after all there is only one person!
2) Therefore, statement S(1) is true.
3) The next stage in the induction argument is to prove that, whenever S(n) is true for one number (say n=k), it is also true for the next number (that is, n = k+1).
4) We can do this by (1) assuming that, in every group of k people, everyone has the same age; then (2) deducing from it that, in every group of k+1 people, everyone has the same age.
5) Let G be an arbitrary group of k+1 people; we just need to show that every member of G has the same age.
6) To do this, we just need to show that, if P and Q are any members of G, then they have the same age.
7) Consider everybody in G except P. These people form a group of k people, so they must all have the same age (since we are assuming that, in any group of k people, everyone has the same age).
8) Consider everybody in G except Q. Again, they form a group of k people, so they must all have the same age.
9) Let R be someone else in G other than P or Q.
10) Since Q and R each belong to the group considered in step 7, they are the same age.
11) Since P and R each belong to the group considered in step 8, they are the same age.
12) Since Q and R are the same age, and P and R are the same age, it follows that P and Q are the same age.
13) We have now seen that, if we consider any two people P and Q in G, they have the same age. It follows that everyone in G has the same age.
14) The proof is now complete: we have shown that the statement is true for n=1, and we have shown that whenever it is true for n=k it is also true for n=k+1, so by induction it is true for all n.

Jelly Donut≠Fire Hydrant.

Did I get it right?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post