Fun with personality test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: Fun with personality test
(12-01-2016 12:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For reference...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ality-type

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ology-Test

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-is-a-test

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...is-it-true

(12-01-2016 12:05 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  It will be interesting to see how many here are INTP or INTJ.
these two are the least likely to believe in gods. My son is INTJ.

Interesting enough to use the search function?

Tongue

Ah, but did you publicly scorn the other three poor bastards who irresponsibly started personality test threads after the first one? Huh? Did ya? Drinking Beverage

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 11:22 AM
(12-01-2016 10:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yeah I've posted in these going back but also have lately seen more studies knocking it in some ways. But not so much that you don't fit the ranges. The ranges themselves are equatable. But it's a matter of so you have this info, then what? The you get along with this other type or not with that type quality is heavily bunked. It's really no better than Aries and Leo make great friends. Even when you're in a personality trait group, your range in that section is fluid so you're not a peg to know your ideal workplace spot based on it.

Well, that's not quite fair - it's certainly more robust than freaking horoscopes. The problems in interpretation do tend to be over-analysis or determinism from an initial broad result, however. So there's that.

Certainly the results from these sorts of things are never stated with the variance due them - albeit that's essentially true of every result ever given in lay contexts, to my eternal chagrin.
(notwithstanding what I really needn't mention, that psychological assessment is only valid if professionally administered in appropriate contexts)

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-01-2016, 11:25 AM
(12-01-2016 10:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yeah I've posted in these going back but also have lately seen more studies knocking it in some ways. But not so much that you don't fit the ranges. The ranges themselves are equatable. But it's a matter of so you have this info, then what? The you get along with this other type or not with that type quality is heavily bunked. It's really no better than Aries and Leo make great friends. Even when you're in a personality trait group, your range in that section is fluid so you're not a peg to know your ideal workplace spot based on it.

But I've also seem data a test noted via the big 5. Studying your range on just 5 value scales has more psychological trusting for its consistency in evaluating people

People definitely misunderstand the purpose of this type of model. Sites like the one that started this thread are greatly overplaying the value of the information that is provided by one of these tests. My explanation of how my results have changed over time is just one example of how the test often miss important underlying factors that make up a person's behavior. Someone not trained in psychology (including me) reading my older results and attempting to use that information to find the perfect job or identify my perfect mate would have been totally missing the mark.

The big corporate thing now is looking at generations. If I hear "millennials love [insert some millennial stereotype] while baby boomers need [a boomer stereotype]" one more time, I might puke. Corporations are paying these pop-psych consultants to come in and tell them this crap and they are buying it. Shared life experiences and culture within generations are one thing, but attempting to classify your entire workforce into a handful of convenient buckets and completely ignoring individual traits is ludicrous. It's as if we are all robots behaving according to which operating system was installed on us the decade that we rolled off the assembly line.

We are all individuals and should treat ourselves and others as such. Looking at the shared events that have shaped our experiences, the behavioral or emotional tendencies that we exhibit, and other factors can help us understand ourselves and others to some degree. But, for now, the human brain is way too non-deterministic to be accurately modeled to predict any individual's behavior or emotional response.

Quote:It's really no better than Aries and Leo make great friends.
This is really the only statement I disagree with you on - sort of. I do think that there is at least some value in using personality type abstractions to understanding human-human interaction. It is just you are now taking two (or more) complex systems and shoving them together. You are multiplying all the imperfections of your simple model of each system together and hoping that you can still get an accurate enough picture of the results that is better than just random chance. I think it probably does, but not enough to bet on it. ;-) The tests are at least measuring some traits of a person, however abstract they may be. The information can be use to analyse ways to improve your relationship or communication with another individual. It would be dumb to use it to screen a group of individuals to attempt to find the perfect mate or make friends based on types. There are just too many variables when you are talking about individuals!

Anywho... back to work.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
12-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Your personality type is:
Advocate (INFJ-t)

Mind
This trait determines how we interact with our environment.
42% Extraverted
58% Introverted

Energy
This trait shows where we direct our mental energy.
70% Intuitive
30% Observant

Nature
This trait determines how we make decisions and cope with emotions.
47% Thinking
53% Feeling

Tactics
This trait reflects our approach to work, planning and decision-making.
77% Judging
23% Prospecting

Identity
This trait underpins all others, showing how confident we are in our abilities and decisions.
26% Assertive
74% Turbulent

INFJ Personality (“The Advocate”)

The INFJ personality type is very rare, making up less than one percent of the population, but they nonetheless leave their mark on the world. As Diplomats (NF), they have an inborn sense of idealism and morality, but what sets them apart is the accompanying Judging (J) trait – INFJs are not idle dreamers, but people capable of taking concrete steps to realize their goals and make a lasting positive impact.

INFJs tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.

I didn't see anything where it showed famous people with same personality but I'm in the 1% bracket for people of my personality type. Not surprised about that.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
12-01-2016, 12:21 PM
MEDIATOR (INFP-T)

72% Introverted
71% Intuitive
56% Feeling
62% Prospecting
57% Turbulent

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
12-01-2016, 12:54 PM
(12-01-2016 10:49 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  ...
Ah, but did you publicly scorn the other three poor bastards who irresponsibly started personality test threads after the first one? Huh? Did ya? Drinking Beverage

Naturally.

Public scorn is an emergent property of being British.

Although, the pragmatist in me tempers this by use of oft too subtle irony ... much wasted most of the time. Weeping

Now I just resort to merging threads or adding lists of links (see the God is not Dead threads) or just, in Bucky's case, giving up altogether as it simply does no good.

It would be interesting to analyse which of the Personality Types tended to be oblivious to irony and which held it as a universal ethic.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
(12-01-2016 12:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 10:49 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  ...

Naturally.

Public scorn is an emergent property of being British.

Although, the pragmatist in me tempers this by use of oft too subtle irony ... much wasted most of the time. Weeping

Now I just resort to merging threads or adding lists of links (see the God is not Dead threads) or just, in Bucky's case, giving up altogether as it simply does no good.

It would be interesting to analyse which of the Personality Types tended to be oblivious to irony and which held it as a universal ethic.

Consider

I read somewhere here (I think) that if a thread is over a certain age, start a new one instead of resurrecting it. Consider Maybe it was at a competitor's site.
12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
ISTJ-A:

77% introverted
58% observant
91% thinking
75% judging
53% assertive

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2016, 03:52 PM
INTP-A for me:
69% Introverted
79% Intuitive
73% Thinking
63% Prospecting
85% Assertive
12-01-2016, 04:55 PM
ESTJ

But I had to do a Villain test, turn out I'm like Saddam Husein Undecided

Personality Match
Like Saddam Hussein, you are tough-minded, blunt, no-nonsense and authoritarian. You enjoy being in charge, and you are skeptical of both starry-eyed idealists and slippery, smooth-tongued operators. Nevertheless, you must take such people seriously or else you may one day find the rug being pulled out from under you.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's