Fun with the Ontological argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2012, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2012 05:35 AM by fstratzero.)
WLC's version

1. It is possible that a maximally great being exists.
2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists in some possible world.
3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.
4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.
5. If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists.
6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

Replace "being" with "noun" and enjoy flooding the universe with random maximally great anythings.

Also you can insert numbers.

1. It is possible that ∞ maximally great beings exist.
2. If it is possible that ∞ maximally great beings exist, then ∞ maximally great beings exist in some possible world.
3. If ∞ maximally great beings exist in some possible world, then they exist in every possible world.
4. If ∞ maximally great beings exist in every possible world, then they exist in the actual world.
5. If ∞ maximally great beings exist in the actual world, then ∞ maximally great beings exist.
6. Therefore, ∞ maximally great beings exist.

And therefore you can flood the universe, with maximally great beings, using Georg Cantor's set theory with several sets of infinite numbers of infinite numbers.

Which of course leads to a contradiction cause the universe is finite, and cast infinite amounts of maximally great things into a finite space would destroy that finite space.

hahahahahaha

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
16-12-2012, 05:29 AM
RE: Fun with the Ontological argument
I CAST ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT

1. It is possible that a maximally great unicorn exists.
2. If it is possible that a maximally great unicorn exists, then a maximally great unicorn exists in some possible world.
3. If a maximally great unicorn exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.
4. If a maximally great unicorn exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.
5. If a maximally great unicorn exists in the actual world, then a maximally great unicorn exists.
6. Therefore, a maximally great unicorn exists.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
16-12-2012, 06:29 AM
That's fun? You need to get out more. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-12-2012, 07:50 AM
(16-12-2012 06:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's fun? You need to get out more. Thumbsup

Or maybe he needs to get more in and out. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-12-2012, 08:47 AM
(16-12-2012 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 06:29 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's fun? You need to get out more. Thumbsup

Or maybe he needs to get more in and out. Consider

Yeah, me too; but it's too bad In-n-Out drive-ins are only in California. I could really go for a Double Double animal style. :drooling:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Doesn't work with infinity, because "maximally great" means "the one and only greatest, everything else is lesser." (The existence of a maximally great object in any set, even at just the conceptual level, with a given comparator is an unwarranted assumption. As is the unstated choice of comparator. Oh, you wacky WLC.)

Otherwise, have fun.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
16-12-2012, 12:07 PM
(16-12-2012 10:14 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Doesn't work with infinity, because "maximally great" means "the one and only greatest, everything else is lesser." (The existence of a maximally great object in any set, even at just the conceptual level, with a given comparator is an unwarranted assumption. As is the unstated choice of comparator. Oh, you wacky WLC.)

Otherwise, have fun.
What if you cloned god with all it's attributes?

-Baron d'Holbach-
16-12-2012, 12:12 PM
(16-12-2012 12:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 10:14 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Doesn't work with infinity, because "maximally great" means "the one and only greatest, everything else is lesser." (The existence of a maximally great object in any set, even at just the conceptual level, with a given comparator is an unwarranted assumption. As is the unstated choice of comparator. Oh, you wacky WLC.)

Otherwise, have fun.
What if you cloned god with all it's attributes?

Especially the attribute of non-existence. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2012, 04:21 PM
(16-12-2012 12:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 12:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  What if you cloned god with all it's attributes?

Especially the attribute of non-existence. Drinking Beverage
Exactly there is no reason why if one all powerful being exists then any other one could not also exist.

From there you just feed in all the names for all the different all powerful beings into the ontological argument.

-Baron d'Holbach-
16-12-2012, 05:03 PM
You can't have an infinite number of maximum anythings -- you can't even have just two beings that are the "greatest". A superlative can only exist in singularity.

Of course, I agree that WLC's argument is laughable. Premise #1 seems easy enough to defend, even though I can think of some examples of properties that can't be "maximal" (for instance, is it possible for something to be maximally slow-moving? Isn't there always a slower speed than whatever you could imagine?). Premise #2 is indefensible, though. How would one prove that something must exist simply because it can exist?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post