Fun with the Red Cross

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Fun with the Red Cross
So, I had a day off today (my company celebrates the originator of wholesale slaughter and enslavement of native Americans). I did almost nothing with my day off (my kind of day) but I did go and give blood. I do that about 4 times a year or so. Anyway, when you give blood, you have to answer a bunch of questions.

I usually blow through this but today there was a question I didn't recognize from previous donations, which read as follows: "Have you in the last 12 months been in contact with anyone who received a smallpox vaccine". I thought about that and figured that, since they gave the vaccine int his country up until 1972 or thereabouts, and the people who signed me in were elderly, and I see people who were born before 1972 all the time, the answer had to be "yes". So, I checked yes. The tech came back and reviewed my answers and we had the following conversation:

Her: why did you check yes to the smallpox question?
Me: Because I was in contact with someone who had the smallpox vaccine in the past 12 months.
Her: How recently?
Me: Well, I guess when I checked in, but pretty much every single day of the year.
Her: [blank stare]
Me: The question was have I been in contact with anyone received the vaccine. I have been. Most recently when I checked in.
Her: [visibly annoyed with me now] Well, they obviously want to know if you had recent contact.
Me: I did have recent contact. When I checked in. Can't get much more recent than that (fyi, she was clearly born after 1972).
Her: Well, I think they obviously wanted to know if you were exposed to someone who recently received the vaccine.
Me: They stopped giving it to people in the US over 40 years ago. They only now give it to researchers who work with smallpox, which is a population of a few hundred people. How does that interpretation of the question make more sense? Besides, that's not what it said.
Her: [goes back and reads the question again] you know .... you're right. That's a really poorly written question. And, it doesn't make sense. Maybe it does mean it your way. Any side effects from the contact?
Me: No, not yet, but it hasn't even been 10 minutes yet so who knows?

Anyway, given that I convinced her that my reading of the question (which is exactly how the question is worded) made my entire day. Seriously, I've been smiling pretty much ever since.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like BnW's post
12-10-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: Fun with the Red Cross
My son was asked the same thing. He answered yes. They questioned him.

He said "my mom had the vaccine." We had been talking about it and I showed him the scar. My pediatrician gave it to me somewhat under my arm so the scar wouldn't be visible. I told him that technically his father had too. Smile

They asked him how long he's been exposed to me.

Facepalm

He wasn't giving blood tho. it was a question at his doctor's office.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Why do they ask it? Why specifically about the smallpox vaccine?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
13-10-2015, 02:15 PM
A while ago a friend of mine told me of a conversation he had with his son. It involved his son asking several questions about both sets of grandparents and their medical history. After a dozen or so questions he asked "Why do you want to know this? Sons reply "It's a form from the doctors that asks about the families medical history so they know if there is anything genetic I may suffer from."
Dad " That's no good. Your adopted remember."

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 3 users Like stevec's post
13-10-2015, 02:20 PM
LOL... now THAT's a guy who's part of the family.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-10-2015, 03:08 PM
(13-10-2015 02:15 PM)stevec Wrote:  A while ago a friend of mine told me of a conversation he had with his son. It involved his son asking several questions about both sets of grandparents and their medical history. After a dozen or so questions he asked "Why do you want to know this? Sons reply "It's a form from the doctors that asks about the families medical history so they know if there is anything genetic I may suffer from."
Dad " That's no good. Your adopted remember."

Very often, I forget not to list my grandmother's medical history for the same reason. Smile